PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Traced back to 1780. Scots-Irish, English, and French on my Dad's side. Spanish and Cajun on my Mom's. Definitely the American melting pot, lol. Maybe I should get one of those DNA tests.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Dad's Side: French, German, Lebanese, Mexican

Mom's Side: Armenian/Russian, German, Jewish
At any given time, any two of my genes are at war with each other haha! Might explain all the colds I get.

Jun 4, 2014
Dads side German and French. Moms side Holland Dutch, English and German. My grandfather did a lot of research on his side of the family he traced it back to the 1600's.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
rigmedict, as to the Scots-Irish part of my heritage-my surname-I was able to track it back into the 1730's but that's as far as I'll ever get since so many genealogical records in Northern Ireland were destroyed in a fire in the early years of the 20th century. Wish I knew where in Scotland my family lived. Left to merely guess based on historical surmising.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My dad was adopted, and never wanted to know his blood parents. So for last Christmas my in laws got me an Ancestry DNA kit. I recently sent it in, and they received it about a week ago. Just waiting for the results. :puffpipe:

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
My dad's side are United Empire Loyalists who settled in Quebec and Ontario after the American Revolution. The old farmstead granted to his paternal side is still in the family near Napanee Ontario.
Mom's side emigrated to Canada from England and Scotland during the late 19th/early 20th century.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If your parents or grandparents are still alive, I'd urge you to get their story and write it down. My father never really told us a lot about his Welsh heritage and very little survived. I have two photos of my great grandfather (restored thanks to member tuold). When we found the pictures, we assumed they were of my grandfather, but only recently learned he was my great-grandfather. My father is now 97, legally blind and although he is pretty coherent, doesn't remember much about their origins in Wales.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Al, my great grandfather was a coal miner in Wales and then emigrated to Illinois, where here became a coal miner. I have his ID tag and his blasting certificate.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If your parents or grandparents are still alive, I'd urge you to get their story and write it down. My father never really told us a lot about his Welsh heritage and very little survived. I have two photos of my great grandfather (restored thanks to member tuold). When we found the pictures, we assumed they were of my grandfather, but only recently learned he was my great-grandfather. My father is now 97, legally blind and although he is pretty coherent, doesn't remember much about their origins in Wales.
What I did was record my father' memories, copy them to CD and send them to my sibs. Getting some kind of record of your family is a great thing to be able to share and to hand down. When my great granduncle Max shot to death that crooked revenue agent, right on the courthouse steps in Atlanta, it added a colorful chapter to my family's story.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
rigmedic1 - If you mom has Cajun heritage, then she also has French since the Cajuns were the French who were forced out of Acadie which was part of Nova Scotia.
As a follow-up to my earlier post, one of my ancestors from Scotland came to the Virginia Colony as an indentured servant around 1670. My dad and his family was all raised in the bayou country of SE Louisiana and the family stretched from the Bayou Sorrel/Bayou Pigeon area (think Swamp People) down to Gibson Point near Morgan City. The family was swindled out of 500 acres of land in the bayou by Sun Oil Company in the 1950s - just before they struck oil on the property.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Norwegian, the grouchy kind that thought the desolate wind swept prairie of western North Dakota was paradise. 8O

flaneuse

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
Italian on my dad's side (from Florence), and Romany gypsy plus some European randomness on my mom's side.

magicbus

Lurker
Dec 1, 2016
scottish and irish on my dads side, mostly german on my mom's. but none are recent immigrants. some came over while we were still in colony status.

I have friends who have been obsessed with those ancestor websites. But, after losing my natural dad in the war, and being adopted by a fantastic father, I really have just never cared to look any of this up. I always treat everyone I meet as family, so all I need to know is whether you are human, and I will consider you family. :puffy:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
If your parents or grandparents are still alive, I'd urge you to get their story and write it down.
Details from my father's side are a bit sketchy past my grandparents unless a cousin has dug back further, but I at least knew my grandmother on that side as a boy. But my mother and her one sister did go back three generations and I have a complete family tree back to my great-grandmother.
Basically, my great-grandmother was a "goose girl" working on the estate of a Prussian land baron in the 1870's who saw her favorably and proceeded to, shall we say, knock her up? When the boy was born, a marriage was arranged with one of the blacksmiths and they were sent to America to conceal the event, otherwise the child would have been heir to the estate. That boy was my grandfather.
The story was passed down by my great-grandmother's husband to his grandchildren which included my mother. My mother was the youngest of the family and got other details from her one sister she was closest to and wrote it all down long ago on pieces of paper to preserve it. Several years ago I sorted those notes out and organized it all into a chart to make sense of it and sent copies of it out to others in the family to try to preserve it.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Ameri-Euro-Mutt, I am a walking-talking melting pot. On my mothers side, very old colonial American roots both Dutch and English. The Dutch ancestors were already in NYC by the late 1500's and the English ancestors were in Virginia by the late 1600's. On my fathers side, I'm German and French and Swedish and English and Irish and probably a little bit of whatever else came along...apparently my fathers side likes variety! My aunt on my dads side was really into genealogy for awhile and she did a lot of digging (pre-internet).

Mar 1, 2014
I'm half and half U.K. and Scandinavian. Strong in English and Norwegian, a bit of Scottish, living proof that just because a bunch of people hated each other a long time ago doesn't mean that things can't work out ok "eventually" (probably about 500 years on average).

Status
Not open for further replies.