PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Straight Italian on my Dad's side, Slovak and Dutch on my Mom's. Dad's side immigrated here in the late 1800's, Mom's side were founding fathers, having come here in the early 1600's at St. Mary's, Maryland. I even have a great, great, great, great, grate, great grandfather who fought in the Revolutionary War.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
English, Irish, German, Scandinavian (Norweigian & Danish), and French. Oldest versions of my last name that I have traced are Gudbrand/Gudbrandr. It went from Gudbrandr, to Gudbrand, to Gudbrot, to Goodbread, and now to Goodbred.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I was gonna leave out the horse thieves, highwaymen and anyone else in the family tree I was not sure of then realized it would be a very short post. :rofl:

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
If my parents are any indication, Alien.
They tell me Italian and Irish

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
English on my father's side. Scottish on my mother's. Also, a little Viking ancestry thrown into the mix as my original ancestors to arrive in England were Normans.

Jun 18, 2016
All Icelandic with the exception of a great great great grandfather that was from France. Fun fact: We have this thing in Iceland called "Íslendingabók" where you can look at your lineage all the way back to 10th century (for example am I related to Leifur Eiríksson through 30 generations). And you can also see how your are related to all other Icelanders. Comes in handy when hooking up, to prevent incest (no shit!)

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Bio mother's side: Irish (specifically from County Mayo in and around Castlebar to Balina along Lough Conn. (Students of the '98 Rising will know why this matters).
Bio father's side: German, but details unknown.
Adoptive parents: Czech (back before was a Czechoslovakia per se, and of course there isn't one now.) Specifically three Bohemian grandparents (what is now the Czech Republic) and one Slovak (what is now the Slovak Republic) but was then all part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. (Eastern Europe gets kinda complicated.)
Bastard half-breed orphan, adopted at a year old. Raised in a house that was strongly "Czech" culturally, with two first generation parents and both Czech grandmothers much in the mix. Learned of my birth heritage as a young adult, and found it made a LOT of sense given who I was and what I believed -- cultural memories seem to be real. From my earliest days I had a tremendous and inexplicable affinity for all things Irish. I recall as a boy (I knew I was adopted) thinking that my Uncle Jack, a giant of a brawling Irishman from Galway (not far from Mayo) might secretly be my real dad.

Aug 14, 2012
Eastern European, Mostly Russian, some Polish and maybe 1/8 Chinese. Possibly descended from Genghis Khan.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So many different heritages. If we could get a pipe into the hand of everyone on the planet, it would be a much happier place.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I've always found the US fascination with heritage/ancestory to be... well, fascinating!
How many of you feel like it had a real impact on your upbringing or a tangible effect on your character?
As for me, I'm quite boring - 100% scottish, born and bred.

Status
Not open for further replies.