PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Father's side is Irish, came to Philadelphia mid 19th century.

Mother's side is French, via Quebec in the 17th century.

I am a descendant of Louis Hébert and Marie Rollet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lots of family politics in how my lineage was conveyed. The old Yankee English ancestry was played up -- Roger Williams, the 17th Century founder of Rhode Island, Colonel Prescott of Revolutionary War (and womanizing) fame. Lots of family pride with them. But as time went on in my adulthood, I learned my dad's mom was Scotch-Irish, and I was very close to her. My mom's dad claimed Welsh ancestry, but some looking into Welsh records didn't turn up his last name, my mom's maiden name. I think there are probably a lot of other genetic strains involved. Having visited both England and Scotland, I would say my own father inherited many more Scottish traits than English. There are other strong cultural trends that don't seem typical of the old Yankee line. It might be interesting to do one of those DNA ancestry tests. However, even if it turned up some interesting previously unacknowledged ancestry, it would feel a little phony to start affiliating with that at this time of life. It would have been a luxury to have a more complete view of ancestry earlier in life, but people were reluctant when the disadvantages of immigrant and minority status were so evident. At one point, being Irish was considered by many to be a terrible thing, we often forget.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Irish and English on my mother's side, African on my father's side. Both biological. I was adopted by a Russian/Polish/German Jewish family and married into an Irish/Danish non-practicing LDS family. Going to do a DNA test to find out more details as most folks with American African heritage have more in the mix and I'd like to know what. Very interesting to me that through all of that mixing my kids are the more Irish than anything and mostly European, and have blond/brown hair with blue eyes.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Scot-Irish, English, Hungarian and Estonian. Mother was a genealogist and discovered that one of our long lost cousins was that illustrious American Benedict Arnold.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
Ulster Scot and Irish on my mother's side, some sorta German/Austrian and Cherokee on my father's side. My wife is full blooded German, w/ her dad being an East German refugee. So my children are far more German than the Celtic blood I've clung to my whole life (though the Germanics were Celts!)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Had my DNA tested for ancestry a while back.
Link ----> Ancestry DNA Ethnicity
This raised some questions since nobody in the family knew of any Eastern European ancestors. Then we found out my grandmother was adopted as an infant. Her birth parents were refugees from Lithuania.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tuold, how interesting! I don't know if I would be intrigued by whole new ancestry, or disappointed if it were as I was told. The good part is, now you can study up on Lithuania and learn a lot, which you might not have done otherwise. A friend of mine adopted a Ukrainian child and suddenly I started noticing Ukrainian art and info, long before it hit the news for other reasons.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Kanaia- Benedict Arnold gets a bad rap. The more I learned about the guy, the less I saw him as a "traitor". I now view him as, yes, a traitor, but also, a guy who did a genuinely good job, and got sick of being crapped on and shunted aside in favor of shameless self-promoters whose contribution to the revolutionary effort were pretty questionable. I think in light of that, he just saw no good future in our grand experiment. Anyway, threadjack over. Sorry Duane!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No apology necessary, and side discussions are always fun. Man this thread bloomed more than I thought it would, and what a diverse crowd we are!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Second generation Canadian to Scottish immigrants to Ontario around 1911.
But if you go back to Adam and Eve, I guess we're all from Mesopotamia!
If Darwin is right, I guess I can trace my roots back to the deep, dark jungles of Africa.
Irish, Polish, Iroquois. Or as I prefer to say, McPolackaho.
@aldecaker
That would be O'Polackaho

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Scotch/Irish (Father) & Portuguese (Mother)
Father's side came over in the 1600's.

Mother's were the first Portuguese, late 1800's, to arrive in Hawaii to work the sugarcane fields.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
American going back about 7-10 generations on my father's side, about 5-7 on my mother's side.
Breaking that down, according to DNA testing, 48.3% Scotch/Irish, 10% Scandinavian,10% French/German, the rest mostly general northwestern Europe.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
All lines lead to the same place if you look back far enough.
I suppose if one was so inclined one could make a friend or enemy of just about anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.