PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
For me it's C&D sweet english. I've always liked either English blends with a touch of vanilla black cavendish as a mixer to add sweetness or a light aromatic with some latakia mixed in to add spice so it seemed like a good choice.

I opened up the bag and was immediately overwhelmed by the aroma of vomit or pig excrement. I lit it up hoping it would taste better than it smelled but was disappointed to find that it tasted worse. It is the only time I threw a bag of tobacco in the trash

I find it interesting to see that C&D is disproportionately represented in this thread. I've yet to try a tobacco of theirs that I liked and won't be trying any more

• Haha
Reactions: Magpiety and JOHN72

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I find it interesting to see that C&D is disproportionately represented in this thread. I've yet to try a tobacco of theirs that I liked and won't be trying any more

Some, including me, are of the opinion that C&D makes a decent number of excellent blends that they should focus their efforts on, instead of the massive catalog of blends they currently have to upkeep.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
The overwhelmingly strong odor which one experiences emanating from those pink/cherry urinal cakes inside a men's restroom is the disgusting distinction held by D&R's version of London Dock - being the only tabak blend to out-gross C&D's Crooner.

Both of these are so bad and pungent - with LD being the worse of the two, and that is really saying something - I had to get these off my property, by throwing them both over the fence into the backyard of my dear friend @Grangerous; of course!

- Sherm Natman

pip01

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 3, 2018
NJ
CD Yorktown is pretty bad. As is Crooner. Capt Black White is gross too

Reactions: JOHN72

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The overwhelmingly strong odor which one experiences emanating from those pink/cherry urinal cakes inside a men's restroom is the disgusting distinction held by D&R's version of London Dock - being the only tabak blend to out-gross C&D's Crooner.

Both of these are so bad and pungent - with LD being the worse of the two, and that is really saying something - I had to get these off my property, by throwing them both over the fence into the backyard of my dear friend @Grangerous; of course!

- Sherm Natman
Shermie!!!
EGR is a contender because I smoked a quarter bowl and gifted it to Sherm. But that’s not fair to EGR. I just couldn't stand the marshmallow-like flavor that reminded me of Captain Black White which I detest. Potpourri smells nice but I don’t want to smoke Potpourri.

—- No. I’m gonna side with some others on Haunted Bookshop, solely because it’s flavorless, hot air. Great name. Big expectation. Huge disappointment. I’ll never ? finish the 2 ounces.

A man of unquestionably refined tastebuds, such as myself… as evidenced by my love of the blue cans of molasses-cased, burley scraps, cannot be discounted. ☝️?

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
It depends on the category.

1) FRUSTRATION FACTOR: KBV Jupiter Slices is entirely flameproof. No matter how long I dried it or how I prepared it, it just wouldn’t stay lit.

2) BODY CHEMISTRY: McClelland 5100. Acid in tobacco form for me.

3) BRAND: Esoterica. Of the three blends I tried, not one was a keeper. And only one made it to two bowls.

4) TASTE: Solani Aged Burley Flake. I smoked two consecutive bowls in an effort to try and figure out straight Burley tobacco. What I found was that I couldn’t get the aftertaste out of my mouth for two straight days.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
C&D - Five O'Clock Shadow. Tried it multiple times and got to the point where I had to talk myself into smoking it. Ended up throwing most of it out. Back when I started smoking a pipe I guess I didn't want to waste any tobacco.
Wow yeah.. I got a tin a few years ago. Description sounded good to me but when I popped the tin it wasn't at all what I expected. Didn't taste good at all.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The overwhelmingly strong odor which one experiences emanating from those pink/cherry urinal cakes inside a men's restroom is the disgusting distinction held by D&R's version of London Dock << Snipped bits out >>
Sounds as if the name of the blend is right on for its recreation of the odor of the old London dock.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Hands down, its Royal Yuck... I mean Yacht. I've never tasted anything so disgusting, and I once drank used motor oil to win an Iron Gut contest at a party as a teenager. I'd rather stick my left hand in a meat grinder than smoke it again!

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
Hands down, its Royal Yuck... I mean Yacht. I've never tasted anything so disgusting, and I once drank used motor oil to win an Iron Gut contest at a party as a teenager. I'd rather stick my left hand in a meat grinder than smoke it again!
Interesting, though not a huge fan of RY, I always thought of it as an inoffensive blend taste wise, a straight VA with light flavoring maybe. Which part of it turns you off?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, that one's pretty bad, couldn't even finish one tin of it. More of an Erinmore fella here.

• Wow

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In today’s tobacco market, I firmly believe if you select an established blend from a major tobacco online seller, if it wasn’t tasty you’d not be able to buy any.

Online bulk tobacco blends range from two dollars to about four dollars an ounce. You can also buy little tins of fancy brands for five to seven fifty or so an ounce.

If there’s a bad one I’ve not bought it yet.:)

Where there was bad tobacco (there isn’t today) was when the major companies tried to keep the price down on old American standard brands like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Raleigh, and Velvet.

When the customer could buy absolutely delicious tobacco over the internet for two or three dollars an ounce the makers of old standards started using a higher grade of leaf and more care to make better tasting OTC blends.

Only Half and Half has never varied in the fifty years I’ve been buying it.

Here lately, it even comes pressed into a candy bar.:)