PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
I had thought that Celephais was the absolute strangest and worse blend I've ever tried.
Grape Kool aid mixed with grape pixie stick.....then I smoked more of it...and more of it..... Just to be certain of it's terribleness...
Two terrible tins later.... I've ordered another four.

Tobacco is like motorcycles for me. I've never met one I didn't enjoy
I tried that for the first time last week. Definitely fruity candy. Dark chocolate and fruit. Really liked it.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Is it like Sutliff Mature Red? Kinda like sucking on a straw filled with vinegar.
Yep. I get an overly unpleasant tangy apple cider vinegar from both those blends. Even the tin note makes we want to spew. I know they are well received by others, but they just don’t work for me. Bare in mind, I haven’t tried either with decent age. But the placebo and memory is too strong

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
My initial Black XX smokes were God-awful, but I still smoked it from time to time unwilling to put down a tobacco 2 centuries of miners had chewed/smoked/ate. Surely if I kept smoking it the better part of that tradition would grace my efforts.

It did so, but slowly. I don't think I liked it until three years in. Don't laugh. I was fascinated with it. I liked it because it was dark and strong and like nothing else I'd smoked. I liked it because it was harsh.

I smoked it until I liked it.
Good to know I still try it once every couple months to see if I liked it better, the tradition thing makes me curious as well. Though thinking about it,I'd probably not enjoy the food coal miners from the 19th century ate as well, why do I expect myself to enjoy their smoke, tobacco is a delicacy just like food and wine, coal miners would probably prefer fine Cubans over Kendal twists too if they had the choice lol.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
C&D - Five O'Clock Shadow. Tried it multiple times and got to the point where I had to talk myself into smoking it. Ended up throwing most of it out. Back when I started smoking a pipe I guess I didn't want to waste any tobacco.
This stuff is really bad, one bowl and it ended in the trash. I think this is the only blend I've tried that didn't get at least a couple of bowls before making a final judgment.

Oh, now you really need to pop that tin of Celephais.......
Take a video of your reaction to the first puff. ?
Hmmmm.... this just may be one of those tins that I let ride in the back of the cellar till absolutely everything else has been smoked. I have a few like that. Maybe 20 more years and smoked by an octogenarian, it won't be so bad, ha ha.
I have several tins in the cellar that I am just not interested in ever popping open. It can set next to that Borkum Riff special edition California Wine tin. And,. a few of the other swill tins that P&C sent me along with a IPSD order years ago.