PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A blend from Mac Baren, long discontinued I think, was give to me as a lagniappe with a pipe rack, that had about ten constituent tobaccos that seemed harsh, muddy, and un-tasty. Getting that many tobaccos to harmonize can be done, but it is a masterwork in blending. This blend wasn't. But I tried with it over years, and mixed it to see what might help. I never found it.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Are you a vegetarian? Most of us meatatarians think burnt cow smells and tastes rather good. ??➡️??
No, not a vegetarian, I just couldn't get on with the taste. I love the Gawith flavoured brown Twists tho and Samuel Gawith Brown No. 4 Twist is amazing stuff. There was one shop over here that had a variant of the No. 4 Twist that had a caramel topping. I kept meaning to get a tin but never got around to it and now they don't stock it anymore.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My initial Black XX smokes were God-awful, but I still smoked it from time to time unwilling to put down a tobacco 2 centuries of miners had chewed/smoked/ate. Surely if I kept smoking it the better part of that tradition would grace my efforts.

It did so, but slowly. I don't think I liked it until three years in. Don't laugh. I was fascinated with it. I liked it because it was dark and strong and like nothing else I'd smoked. I liked it because it was harsh.

I smoked it until I liked it.

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
Of my own creation: 515 RC-1 and Izmir. I mixed it somewhere around 50-50 and it was gross. It would probably be pretty nice if I toned down the Izmir.

Manufacturer: I've mentioned it before, but C&D Capt. Bob's Blend. Grape Latakia mess. Some people love it, I tried to love it, but it ended up in the trash.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
For me, C&D Autumn Evening held the spot pretty firmly for quite some time. Sure, once in a while a challenger like Vauen Auenland Evening Mixture or Peterson Nutty Cut (I call it Slutty Cunt) would come along, but alas, all were soundly defeated by AE. And so it remained...until the time I tried Sutliff 515 RC-1, that is.

This was no challenger. This was the champion strolling right up to Autumn Evening and saying, "Yo, get off my seat, you pathetic poignantly-named aro doofus, or I'll make you regret it for eternity!" AE promptly vacated the spot, which positively BELONGS to RC-1. Period. There shan't be a future challenger. It'd be a joke. Like a tennis match between Andre Agassi and Dakota Fanning. Just...no.

God, what a foul, seethingly evil tobacco blend. I'd sooner tongue kiss every member of the US Senate than smoke that again. At least it would taste better than smoking Sutlif 515 RC-1.

I think I'm gonna hurl... ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Magpiety, you might want to try Borkum Riff Bourbon again. Paladin only if you have a hankering for cherry. In pipe tobacco, it makes my gorge rise, and time won't cure that. Borkum Riff Bourbon, however, is mild and to me tobacco forward, which is the way I like my aromatics, though I admit I haven't bought a pouch in years.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
No, not a vegetarian, I just couldn't get on with the taste. I love the Gawith flavoured brown Twists tho and Samuel Gawith Brown No. 4 Twist is amazing stuff. There was one shop over here that had a variant of the No. 4 Twist that had a caramel topping. I kept meaning to get a tin but never got around to it and now they don't stock it anymore.
I know what you mean about GH Black Irish Twist. For me, it's the oil that it's drenched with in processing. I don't see, taste or smell it in the finished product, but I can taste and smell it in the smoke. It smells a bit like the stuff that smokes off a pan when you heat it up. I can do without it.

I've not had the brown twists but if they're anything like the brown flakes I've had, I think they'd be very nice.