48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I like almost all shapes, but I have a special fondness for Bulldogs and Rhodesian shapes, specially the quarter bent Squat Bulldog. My first pipe in my modern pipe journey is a Rhodesian although I always call it a Bulldog. I am currently smoking some Samuel Gawith Brown #4 twist in my first pipe and my wife took a artistic portrait

72E97509-C240-4F43-8E88-4F865FD96A14.jpeg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Frankly I'm more of Billiard /Canadian shape man myself, but nevetheles I must say Bulldog shape is timeless and quintessential one as well, I have specially be opting for those lighterweight classic ones with small to moderate conical chamber , which I do find as a perfect option for those stronger Dark Firded flake tobaccies
here are some examples of mine CIMG1219.JPG

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Shapes are kind of an inkblot test. There's no telling why we like or dislike any particular one. But it is sometimes an interesting conversation... To me they are kind of compact and snappy looking, no-nonsense and sturdy. I've heard people express their dislike, but never much about why...
Tom - You must be psychic! I have been intensely puzzling over the whole "Bulldog Issue" all week; as I consider if I will ever be adding one to my line-up; or not.

I would really love to add one to line-up, if for no other reason than having at least one specimen of the common/popular shapes in my collection, but...

Aesthetically, to me anyway, the straight stem Bulldog design is one of the two singular pipe shapes which "call" to me the least; and yet, it is such a prevalent shape - and smoked and loved by so many - looks so sturdy and functional, could probably be used as a hammer, looks like it is just begging to be carried naturally in the front jacket/coat pocket; and yet...

I think for me, what I am resisting is the diamond-shaped stem, not the bowl shape itself , which leaves me - a person who is used to the comfort of round/ovoid stems, round cigars, round/ovoid cigarettellos, round cigarettes - thinking that the diamond-shaped stem - with it's hard looking, sharp corners, would feel uncomfortable in the hand; and certainly between the fingers... and yet, look at how many people love this shape as their shape-of-choice.

I think the other thing which causes me not to desire a Bulldog, is the classic archetypes who come into my mind when I think about this pipe shape - e.g.: What kind of man smokes this shape? What does it say about him, and his sensibilities? What image does he project with this pipe shape, versus some other shape?; etc.

Rightly or wrongly - in my mind - the classic straight diamond stem Bulldog is associated with men who are gruff, terse, non-nonsense, hard-boiled Detective-types; or, that one judgemental Uncle, who, eternally sitting in his recliner, huffing, puffing, and grunting away disapprovingly, while all the time making criticisms of everything which comes out of your mouth whenever you engage him in conversation.

Oh, and he bangs his pipe into his heavy glass ashtray too loudly... but it's okay, his tough "Bully" can certainly take it.

The alternative bowl/stem shape is the bent round Rhoddy, which would certainly solve the imagined discomfiture issue with the stem; but then, to accommodate the bent stem, often the bowls on many of these pipes take on sort of this mushroom-top shaped look; and to me, that looks like something the Leprechaun from the Lucky Charms cereal box might smoke his "magically delicious" tabaks in.

Again, not an archetype nor image I prefer to identify with, nor project.

So, I guess the bigger question really expands beyond just the Bulldog/Rhodesian question, and, as you stated so brilliantly: "Shapes are kind of an inkblot test."; becomes one of: "What does this shape tell you about that man you are, or wish you were, or, would like to identify with; or, is it simply a pratical choice of form, function, and comfort?".

In the event some of our more sensitive Brothers of the Briar, may have taken offense/insult that I do not share their deep passionate attraction to this bowl and stem shape; I do not mean to demean the Bully/Rhoddy; as I am at this time wrestling intently with the notion of adding one to my line-up; with one thing sure, if I ever do, it will need to have a step-down saddle bit.

That's for sure.

So if any of you Bully-Lovers feel personally slighted, understand, I am just sharing my honest thoughts as I answer Tom's great question.

Any complainers who wish to express their outrage after reading my answer should contact Tom directly :LOL: - Sherm Natman

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
I think Bulldogs have the most "intentional" aesthetic of all pipe shapes, ideally all surfaces are shaped to be flat on at least one angle.
The only bad thing about a Bulldog is you need a ridiculously large piece of Briar to make a good stack.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I love my bulldogs, and I have them in a variety of shapes and sizes. I only traded on bulldog I owned, for Gerog Jensen, and while I love the Jensen (which completed a travel kit for me, with another Jensen twin) I regret the trade to this day.