PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Tom - You must be psychic! I have been intensely puzzling over the whole "Bulldog Issue" all week; as I consider if I will ever be adding one to my line-up; or not.

I would really love to add one to line-up, if for no other reason than having at least one specimen of the common/popular shapes in my collection, but...

Aesthetically, to me anyway, the straight stem Bulldog design is one of the two singular pipe shapes which "call" to me the least; and yet, it is such a prevalent shape - and smoked and loved by so many - looks so sturdy and functional, could probably be used as a hammer, looks like it is just begging to be carried naturally in the front jacket/coat pocket; and yet...

I think for me, what I am resisting is the diamond-shaped stem, not the bowl shape itself , which leaves me - a person who is used to the comfort of round/ovoid stems, round cigars, round/ovoid cigarettellos, round cigarettes - thinking that the diamond-shaped stem - with it's hard looking, sharp corners, would feel uncomfortable in the hand; and certainly between the fingers... and yet, look at how many people love this shape as their shape-of-choice.

I think the other thing which causes me not to desire a Bulldog, is the classic archetypes who come into my mind when I think about this pipe shape - e.g.: What kind of man smokes this shape? What does it say about him, and his sensibilities? What image does he project with this pipe shape, versus some other shape?; etc.

Rightly or wrongly - in my mind - the classic straight diamond stem Bulldog is associated with men who are gruff, terse, non-nonsense, hard-boiled Detective-types; or, that one judgemental Uncle, who, eternally sitting in his recliner, huffing, puffing, and grunting away disapprovingly, while all the time making criticisms of everything which comes out of your mouth whenever you engage him in conversation.

Oh, and he bangs his pipe into his heavy glass ashtray too loudly... but it's okay, his tough "Bully" can certainly take it.

The alternative bowl/stem shape is the bent round Rhoddy, which would certainly solve the imagined discomfiture issue with the stem; but then, to accommodate the bent stem, often the bowls on many of these pipes take on sort of this mushroom-top shaped look; and to me, that looks like something the Leprechaun from the Lucky Charms cereal box might smoke his "magically delicious" tabaks in.

Again, not an archetype nor image I prefer to identify with, nor project.

So, I guess the bigger question really expands beyond just the Bulldog/Rhodesian question, and, as you stated so brilliantly: "Shapes are kind of an inkblot test."; becomes one of: "What does this shape tell you about that man you are, or wish you were, or, would like to identify with; or, is it simply a pratical choice of form, function, and comfort?".

In the event some of our more sensitive Brothers of the Briar, may have taken offense/insult that I do not share their deep passionate attraction to this bowl and stem shape; I do not mean to demean the Bully/Rhoddy; as I am at this time wrestling intently with the notion of adding one to my line-up; with one thing sure, if I ever do, it will need to have a step-down saddle bit.

That's for sure.

So if any of you Bully-Lovers feel personally slighted, understand, I am just sharing my honest thoughts as I answer Tom's great question.

Any complainers who wish to express their outrage after reading my answer should contact Tom directly :LOL: - Sherm Natman
The pipe doesn't take the ink blot test. You do. I'm banging away at my heavy glass ashtray as we speak.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Well, for one, I like taller bowls, like Billiard and Dublin shapes. To me, a Bulldog is nothing more than a fancy Pot. I also prefer pipes that a light and slender. The thick diamond shanks and thick bowls on Bulldogs just doesn't get it for me. I think many Buldogs and Rhodesians are beautiful, but I don't want to smoke them.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On Forums anyway, bulldogs are polarizing but no doubt raise a response. If you like a smallish medium size bulldog bowl, the Stanwell 32 is a compact practical little pipe; I like it so well, I have it in smooth and silke brune. It is saddle stem.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I usually prefer light billiards but I also have a few muscular bulldogs. An older restored BBB (2nd from left) which I will use mostly for St. Bruno, since it is already ghosted with Lakeland. That BBB bulldog smokes itself and is such a light and well crafted smoking tool and has a stem work worthy of a Dunhill or Barling factory stamp.
4E7CB0CE-5AD4-4540-8909-C8E24C91241F.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Personally, I don't think a pipe shape makes it smoke better or worse than an other, it's the bowl dimensions and stem more than the shape,my opinion.

Bulldogs are second to Rhodesians in my collection, I prefer tapered stems on either. (then followed by bent billiards.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do love the classic bead lines around the waist of the bowl, but Dr. Grabow's Royalton bulldog does an excellent job shaping without the bead lines. If we didn't know better, it looks like artisan carving. Or it is artisan carving done by someone who works in a pipe factory.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I like the bulldog shape. It is an elegant form that is all “working man”. I can appreciate the contradiction. Plus the added wood around the bead line keeps the pipe from getting as hot in the hand as other shapes.

I wonder if we don’t gravitate towards pipe shapes based on our personality and possibly the shape of our head/face. Maybe guys with elongated faces and thin long necks gravitate towards dublins and guys with an average shaped head gravitate towards classic shapes such as the bulldog. Guys who need to be the center of the universe prefer big oversized pipes to attract attention to themselves. Hmmm something to ponder.