PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shapes are kind of an inkblot test. There's no telling why we like or dislike any particular one. But it is sometimes an interesting conversation. I have five bulldogs that I really like. I think they come in behind billiards bent and straight and Dublins, and are even with pots and pokers and Rhodesians in my esteem. To me they are kind of compact and snappy looking, no-nonsense and sturdy. I've heard people express their dislike, but never much about why. Too stubby? Too front heavy? If you don't like the shape, why? And if you do, why?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The most represented shape (40+) in my collection is my kennel of Bulldogs - mostly straight. I have one French (who I believe are the originators of the shape), a Butz Choquin, which I bought in the early '70s. I have 3 Italian, 4 Petes and the rest are "classic" Brits. My preference are ones with tale red stems. 6 are bents and only 3 are squats. I only have 3 Rhodesians.

I dislike tall Bulldogs - in my opinion they lack the correct proportions. In dog terms, a bulldog is squat and chunky. It's taller relatives are boxers amd mastiffs. And don't get me started on French Bulldogs !

With pipes, as with other objects, certain shapes resonate. And others, albeit with slight variations, don't. Thankfully I am focused on a fairly specific bulldog shape - otherwise the bulldog PAD will have disastrous consequences. ?