PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Benny Hill, Sir Les Patterson, and Dame Edna.....Three Stooges for the stupidity and violence...Laurel and Hardy for their timing and the sight-gags.....Abbott and Costello for their vintage burlesque routines.

What can I say? I'm not that sophisticated.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Comedy is a personal thing, but it is determined by various cultural factors like language, religion, age etc.
I like a good laugh, but most comedy doesn't work for me. Some of it is good, though. Monty Python, Stephen Fry and his collaborators on QI, Billy Connelly.
What do you guys find funny?
I need inspiration.
I immediately thought movie/tv so a few I've enjoyed the most are Raising Arizona, Waking Ned Devine, Life, and I also think Goodfellas (prob my favorite movie) is very funny at times. For tv my tastes have changed over time, dont watch many comedies. The wife and I like Monk though.

Reactions: workman and jpmcwjr

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
So much good stuff here already. One of my favorites not listed here, Still Game. One of the main characters smokes a pipe regularly as well. One of the few shows on Netflix I have watched through multiple times, along with Cheers.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I love Million Dollar Extreme presents World Peace that was on Adult Swim. Sadly it got cancel cultured by the virtue signaling pc brigade who didn't like it.
The main comedian in the group Sam Hyde supported Trump and gun rights which angered the outrage mob even more. It's probably a bit weird for most tastes but I loved it. Here's a short sketch to give you some idea.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
So much good stuff here already. One of my favorites not listed here, Still Game. One of the main characters smokes a pipe regularly as well. One of the few shows on Netflix I have watched through multiple times, along with Cheers.

I've lost count of the number of times I've watched every episode of Still Game
First season had a bit more Scottish slang words in it but they 'toned' it down from season 2 onwards once it was clear it would reach a larger viewing market

So many truly fantastic one-liners

Don't forget to watch the Christmas special episodes too

Reactions: edger and elessar

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A Clockwork Orange
America Beauty
Death To Smoochy
Pulp Fiction
Super
Heathers
M.A.S.H. (the movie)
The Exorcist

Reactions: workman

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I like comedy that doesn't walk on eggshells about offending someone like so much does now. Im not really a fan of comedians that rely on sex as their main bit personally. I really like comedians like Jim Gaffigan.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not for goody-goody reasons, but for psychological reasons, I don't like comedy that relies on cruelty. I love John Cleese as a comedy actor, but "A Fish Called Wanda" gave me not even a chuckle, the whole two hours. Likewise, though there is humor in "Clockwork Orange" and "Pulp Fiction," I can't relax enough to laugh in either, not even just for the surprise element of humor. Seinfeld was/is a long time guilty pleasure; it is in terms of drama, a comedy of manners. The jokes are about human foibles, not about these particularly self-involved people, and the actors played it brilliantly. The last episode stunk, but so what? Some of the most brilliant physical comedy I've seen was live performances by the Barnum & Baily Circus. I thought, clowns, blah. But they were so expert, and the timing is so exquisite, you get layers of humor, the very broad physical along with subtle little points about human pride and vanity. The Marx Bros. were like that, as was Carlin, Tomlin, Robin Williams, Jonathan Winters, among a long list. Red Fox was an all-time favorite: "My dad was black, my mom was white; I didn't know who to hate."

Oh come on MSO,
You know it's funny to push someone else's wife down a flight of stairs, laughing manically. Or, how about just tossing bowling balls off the Empire State Building. Or, raping someone in front of their invalid husband. You just don't know how to party.

I don't get it either. Maybe this was why I never understood the humor in SNL. I just wasn't psychotic enough. I'll work on that. puffy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Amazing how you can answer one member's question then get condescended by others for that answer. Now that is funny.:rolleyes:

Reactions: workman

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
So many: Chris Rock, Dave Chappell, Christopher Titus (if you haven't listened to him, start with Norman Rockwell is bleeding). Patrice O'Neal was brilliant in his few specials. Eddie Murphy's two specials were great, as was his time on SNL. Seinfeld naturally. South Park can occasionally be brilliant.

I love old reruns of Key & Peele, Mad TV and any segment where Norman MacDonald is a guest. If you haven't seen this one, watch it. He's a comedians comedian. What he lacks in commercial success is paled by the respect he has from most other comedians for being a genius. Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is a fun insight. Jim Gaffigan is clean funny. Dry Bar Comedy on youtube has some brilliant clean comedians. Bill Cosby was brilliant in his early days. Bobby Slater is excellent.

Bill Burr is in my humble opinion, the current king of stand up. Richard Pryor remains the GOAT.

Samantha Bee, Cathy Griffin, Trevor Noah are all comedy kryptonite. You keep waiting for a laugh but they just don't come. I'm boggled by their success.

Last edited:
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Status
Not open for further replies.