PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Macbaren HH Vintage Syrian.

Kentucky and latakia together doesn't work for me.

I appreciate both but not in the same blend.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
There is only one hated blend for me: 1792 Flake.
I do not like Latakia, but I could still appreciate plenty about the various English blends I tried. But 1792 Flake was instant and undying hate on my part. But there’s that much more for the people who love it.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
As autumnfog says,
Kentucky and latakia together doesn't work for me.

That was an unfortunate deal-breaker on BlackHouse and 1882 Founder's, both of which I tried very hard to like.
Also, the latest incarnations of BB1938 and London Mixture had to be gone from my sight, along with F&T Waterloo #2.

McClelland's Syrian Full Balkan, to my grave disappointment, I found unsmokable.

And Rainier Levant, Hood Canal and HH Latakia Flake.

It's all subjective.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
In my fairly short pipe smoking journey, I've only tried two cheaper, OTC blends--Prince Albert and Carter Hall, and I liked them both (actually, I love PA.)
Of all the others I've tried (25+, which covered a range of aromatics, English, and Virginia blends), some I liked more than others, and a few bothered my throat--but I don't know that I've found any of them objectively bad tasting.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Peterson's Irish Whiskey. The shallow whiskeyey sweetness paired with the flavor of burned nuts. Not for me.

And of course Grousemoor, but that one doesn't count as a tobacco.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
3rd or 4th for Mixture 79. Had a baggie full in my car on a sunny day and it took weeks to get rid of the lingering odor. Ugh.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Off the top of my head of the more well known brands, Middleton cherry, BR cherry (and their other offerings) , and paladen cherry are all tied for worst. Those 3 specially taste like someone took floor scrapings, poured chery cough syrup on them and splashed in a nice perfume /chemicals and called it a day. I dont know how anyone could enjoy them, but they must have a following?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Mixture 79. There are plenty of blends I’ve tried that just weren’t my thing but the only one I’ve simply flat out disliked is Mixture 79.
Fortunately there are other blends available.

Sep 18, 2015
In the last five years the only thing that was bad enough to throw out was John Bull. I tried several times over a period of of about six months and each attempt was worse than the previous.

I just couldn’t get over the metallic chemical taste.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
War Horse Green. Lots of people love it, and I want to love it, but dear god just no. To me it tastes like a half smoked cigarette that sat in a wet ashtray for a week, with a faint hint of stale bubblegum. Bleh.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
A lifetime ago when I was but an ignorant undergraduate I sampled Clan.
I thought I had poured perfumed petrol on my tongue and set it alight.
Hideous.
And yet it remains one of the best selling blends in Europe. The Germans in particular are most fond of it.
De gustibus.

Status
Not open for further replies.