Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

autumnfog

Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Macbaren HH Vintage Syrian.

Kentucky and latakia together doesn't work for me.

I appreciate both but not in the same blend.

krizzose

Preferred Member
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
There is only one hated blend for me: 1792 Flake.
I do not like Latakia, but I could still appreciate plenty about the various English blends I tried. But 1792 Flake was instant and undying hate on my part. But there’s that much more for the people who love it.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
As autumnfog says,
Kentucky and latakia together doesn't work for me.
That was an unfortunate deal-breaker on BlackHouse and 1882 Founder's, both of which I tried very hard to like.
Also, the latest incarnations of BB1938 and London Mixture had to be gone from my sight, along with F&T Waterloo #2.

McClelland's Syrian Full Balkan, to my grave disappointment, I found unsmokable.

And Rainier Levant, Hood Canal and HH Latakia Flake.

It's all subjective.

kylef

Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
In my fairly short pipe smoking journey, I've only tried two cheaper, OTC blends--Prince Albert and Carter Hall, and I liked them both (actually, I love PA.)
Of all the others I've tried (25+, which covered a range of aromatics, English, and Virginia blends), some I liked more than others, and a few bothered my throat--but I don't know that I've found any of them objectively bad tasting.

Dec 10, 2013
At the risk of being burned at the stake : Dunhill's EMP .

It made me feel nauseous and my pipe smelled like sewer for days, even after multiple cleaning.Yuk.

workman

Preferred Member
Jan 5, 2018
Peterson's Irish Whiskey. The shallow whiskeyey sweetness paired with the flavor of burned nuts. Not for me.

And of course Grousemoor, but that one doesn't count as a tobacco.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Outer Space
Yeh, you know, I tried and rejected Grousemoor early on in my piping, but then in hearing Embers and a few others talking about it, I thought that I would give it a try again. I'm pretty sure that it's not tobacco, but some sort of sadistic herbal torturing device.

pipehunter

Dec 20, 2016
3rd or 4th for Mixture 79. Had a baggie full in my car on a sunny day and it took weeks to get rid of the lingering odor. Ugh.

nunnster

Apr 17, 2019
Off the top of my head of the more well known brands, Middleton cherry, BR cherry (and their other offerings) , and paladen cherry are all tied for worst. Those 3 specially taste like someone took floor scrapings, poured chery cough syrup on them and splashed in a nice perfume /chemicals and called it a day. I dont know how anyone could enjoy them, but they must have a following?

renfield

Preferred Member
Oct 16, 2011
Mixture 79. There are plenty of blends I’ve tried that just weren’t my thing but the only one I’ve simply flat out disliked is Mixture 79.
Fortunately there are other blends available.

onestrangeone

Preferred Member
Sep 18, 2015
In the last five years the only thing that was bad enough to throw out was John Bull. I tried several times over a period of of about six months and each attempt was worse than the previous.

I just couldn’t get over the metallic chemical taste.

mtwaller

Preferred Member
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
War Horse Green. Lots of people love it, and I want to love it, but dear god just no. To me it tastes like a half smoked cigarette that sat in a wet ashtray for a week, with a faint hint of stale bubblegum. Bleh.

stbruno70

Preferred Member
Jul 9, 2013
A lifetime ago when I was but an ignorant undergraduate I sampled Clan.
I thought I had poured perfumed petrol on my tongue and set it alight.
Hideous.
And yet it remains one of the best selling blends in Europe. The Germans in particular are most fond of it.
De gustibus.