PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I can't say I have had as a dramatic reaction to tobaccos as some of you fellow pipe smokers. Usually I try something and if it doesn't ring the bell after a few smokes I pitch it. However, I have gotten very cautious about tossing things out these days. I have spent quite a bit of $ on tobacco that I originally did not like...only to try it again and go oops!
Here the losers of 2011 that I won't be buying again:
1776 British Grenadier - love the taste - burns the heck out of my mouth. Burned so hot that it destroyed an estate pipe. Toss!

Altadis Witch Queen - I originally liked the smoke only to get turned off at some point. Toss!

C&D Mississippi Mud - I tried it long time ago didn't care for it. Tried it again - same monochromatic taste - nothing special for me. Toss!

Gatlin-Burlier Maple - burned too hot...little maple flavor. Toss!

Gatlin-Burlier Black Jack - a waste of Jack Daniels or whiskey. Toss!

H&H Sunza Bitches - My wife was offended by the name. It came too dry - I over humidified it and then tried to dry it out - my attempt was a complete failure. Toss!

Bob's Chocolate Flake - Bleah. If you love soapy cocoa this is the one for you. Toss!

H&H Sweet and Savory - This tobacco is neither one. Toss!

Rich's Maple Steamer - I never got the flavor of this one despite repeated try's. Toss!

C&D First Responders - made me sweat and gave me a fat head. Where's the Payday Candy taste everyone talked about? Traded! Decided to give it a try again - a pretty decent smoke and sometimes borders on great.

Sterling's Bargain Blend - tasted OK. But burned like an out of control grass fire. Toss!

C&D Cross-Eyed Cricket - what is this? It's not tobacco! Toss!!!

Gatlin-Burlier - American English...Hah! Actually its ok. Simply poised over the round recepticle - not dumped yet. Not tossed yet.

Pipeworks & Wilke #400 - when I first tried this blend it was a full bodied latakia masterpiece. However, the subsequent orders had more orientals than the latakia. I asked Carol Burns - what's up? She said its still the same blend - NO IT'S NOT!...not a bad smoke - tastes more like her High Hat Blend. A shadow of it's former self. Tossed with extreme disgruntlement!!!

Sterling Tahiti - love the taste. Can really be a scorcher. Tossed! Only to buy a little 2.5 ounce bag because the taste is scrumptious.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I guess since I disliked Old Dublin so much that I probably won't like Squadron Leader either? I've dipped into the Old Dublin twice but not found it remotely to my liking.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
half and half i always thought was ok. mixture 79 i could do without. step (or more) below either of those is middleton apple. might be the only one i ever threw out.
as a long time cigarette smoker i can actually deal ok with borkum riff. not as a steady diet but on occasion. it's kinda like smoking a cig.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
War Horse Green - At first it seemed okay with that marshmallow thing going on but by day three it was a disgusting almost cheap fragrance waste of excellent leaf. The dark fired in their is choice, it's a shame because it was eventually disposed of. Others have mentioned the same thing.

What I wanted to know is if it is indeed like a tobacco of Europe? as the description claims. Which one?

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
My first ever pipe tobacco was Captain Black which I tossed out only because I didn't get any flavor from it. I was a big cigarette/cigar smoker way back then. So, I'm sure my sense of taste was out of whack. :crazy:
Other than that, I've never met a pipe tobacco that I didn't like. Some more than others. But, I tend to enjoy everything I smoke nowadays.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Flying (Frying) Dutchman. It torched my mouth, it was the closest thing I could imagine to eating red hot charcoal briquettes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Germain's Balkan Sobranie - It resembles the original about as much as I resemble a speedo model. I've tried on more than one occasion to smoke it but can't get past the first couple of puffs without feeling the need to barf. Calling it crap would be an insult to crap.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Without a doubt the absolute worst tobacco I've ever smoked was SG Fire Dance. It is without a doubt absolute garbage. It takes like puke that was shit out of a rabies infected raccoon as it was dying by the side of the road after being drown in a port-a-potty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. I actually like a number of these worst-tasting blends including 965, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Borkum Riff (Bourbon), Five Brothers, Royal Yacht, among others. I find Half&Half a little harsh for a good old OTC blend, but not awful. I tried Mixture No. 79 on Embers' advice, and it's kind of a good old aro, not first prize but not bad. My worst experience was with a Mac Barens Mixture of about six or seven tobaccos that was all bite and no taste. I tried to like it, but didn't. Over months. Finally discarded.

Yeh, someone's favorite is always going to be someone's worst experience ever. Someone's worst pipe is going to be a pipe that someone else is in love with.
Tastes are not universal, and it's why I think ranking blends or paying attention to rankings is worthless. It is like looking to see what is on the Top 40 to see what music they should like, when there are so many songs and bands than never make the list that are awesome, but just never got the commercial exposure, so many great artists that never got into a gallery, or great foods that never make the 5 star rankings.
Even people with the same tastes as me will occasionally surprise me and like something that I detest, like the Sutliff Vinegar blends. I have actually been amazed that so many people weren't as disgusted by it as me. But, it just goes to show that tastes are very individualistic.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Safe Harbor Flake from C&D.

It was only on the market for a short while and reading the reports from TobbaccoReivews, you will understand why.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2767/cornell-diehl-safe-harbor-flake
:(
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.