What Underrated Blends in Production do You Now Cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Im not cellaring much yet as I'm exploring, but I have 2 blends I have both 2 pounds off, Presbyterian and MB Navy Flake. The first doesnt get a lot of talk (from a few a lot right @LotusEater, but not in general), maybe because it isn't a English as polarizing or "unicorn desert island blend" blahblah like Penzance. The second a lot of people don't like the topping, which I find very well matching with the tobacco and to me its still a tobacco forward blend without it being a aromatic. A bonus is the pound of MB Golden Blend/Extra I have, to me a underrated BurVa. I might even not touch the pounds I have off this in 2 years. Risk is I like it more fresh than "aged" or "well rested", but in that case I have a lot off tins to tobacco bomb someone.
I’ve read many of your posts and think you and I have similar tastes in tobacco. As you know I love Presbyterian but you may not know that I really like MB Navy Flake too. It is great fresh but I was lucky enough to have bought a pound of it that was jarred in 08 from a member here :)
Lately I’ve been mixing it with a little SG Brown Sugar Flake - makes for a very tasty smoke.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I wasn’t smitten by it on my first go many years ago but I wasn’t prepping it right, in fact, it took several revisits before it clicked for me. I love plugs and for the price, I personally think 3P’s is the best you can get in the US. I haven’t tried the newish Cascadia Plugs though, they look good but I seriously doubt they are any better than 3P’s and they are more expensive. I highly recommend 3P’s but don’t expect it to blow your mind right away, this is a tobacco that is greatly rewarding but it can be too much work for a lot of smokers, which I understand, but I’ve learned to love the ritual of plugs. I hope that you learn to love it too.

I'm pretty deep on the 3p's. I open the tins intended for ageing and mylar 5 plugs to a bag. I noticed a ring of corrosion on almost every tin I opened (round tins) so into the mylar went the cellar.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Not sure about underrated, but I rarely see it mentioned here. Sutliff VooDoo Queen. This surprised the heck out of me. I got a pound of it 5 years ago when it was on super sale, recently went through the process of transferring my cellar from jars to mylar and tried some. It was awesome so I ended up with another 5 pounds on a recent Sutliff sale again. It's one of those blends that I just enjoy and can't really define why.....and I'm ok with that :)

Not sure about underrated, but I rarely see it mentioned here. Sutliff VooDoo Queen. This surprised the heck out of me. I got a pound of it 5 years ago when it was on super sale, recently went through the process of transferring my cellar from jars to mylar and tried some. It was awesome so I ended up with another 5 pounds on a recent Sutliff sale again. It's one of those blends that I just enjoy and can't really define why.....and I'm ok with that :)
Good stuff!!!

Reactions: ofafeather

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Are any blends really underrated or are they just under discussed?

My largest quantity is variety. ? I have some favorites I’m focused on adding, but I’m really uncomfortable talking about them. It makes me super nervous to share favorites around here. Before you know it - readily available production is “out of stock.”

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Please describe your ritual of plugs.

I picked up some 3P and Cascadia tins and am looking forward to starting my own ritual (and enjoyment).

I also picked up a noodle press for creating my own plugs, once the time and desire are right.
By ritual I basically mean I just enjoy the preparation of slicing the plug before each smoke, drying out the slices and loading up. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the Cascadia Plugs, which ones did you get?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
By ritual I basically mean I just enjoy the preparation of slicing the plug before each smoke, drying out the slices and loading up. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the Cascadia Plugs, which ones did you get?
I bought the 5-pack of Cascadia's offerings and intend on dipping into it soon. It was on sale for about $11 a tin.

I'm debating trying 3P or a Cascadia plug first, and have heard virtually nothing but good things about both.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I bought the 5-pack of Cascadia's offerings and intend on dipping into it soon. It was on sale for about $11 a tin.

I'm debating trying 3P or a Cascadia plug first, and have heard virtually nothing but good things about both.
Ah man, that’s a good sale! For some reason they stopped sending me their monthly catalog, I’ll need to look into why.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Ah man, that’s a good sale! For some reason they stopped sending me their monthly catalog, I’ll need to look into why.
I misspoke. $70 for the 5 tin sampler, or $14 a tin. @condorlover1 suggested Cascadia and pointed out the deal.

The deal has occured twice, and I think once with a tin coffee mug (like for camping). Normally I try to stay below $5 an ounce, but the deal was decent and I justified it with some other clearance specials - like $0.99 Smokers Pride pouches (not that justification is needed).

You can rejoin the mailing list by hitting a link on the P&C website. And I think I'll try a Cascadia tin this weekend.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Will this ghost a pipe?
I’m intrigued.
You bet it will. More grape than Captain Black Grape.

Yeah, it will. I smoke it in a Mr Brog morta...and it has definitely been marked ~ just walking past it, I can smell it ? Visions works very well with a one blend only pipe, though, so if you like it it works out.
My Celephäis pipe is a morta as well.

20211229_151122.jpg