What Underrated Blends in Production do You Now Cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
Title edited for caps and brevity. -jpm. Original:

Underrated Tobaccos; What Blends Occupies Most Of Your Cellar And Is Still In Production?

Was doing some YouTube surfing and came across both topics, although minimum videos to view. So, in your opinion, what are often overlooked blends that are simply tasty or blends that match or are better than blends that are now out of production?

And because I thought it was interesting on its own, what is your most cellared blend that is still in production?

Happy Saturday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr and RonB

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For readily available blends, here are some that I stock.
Capstan Blue Flake
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Dunhill Flake (now called Peterson Flake)
Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls (now called Peterson Navy Rolls)
Peterson Irish Flake and University Flake
Escudo

The most tins I have for one blend is Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. It is still being made but is a bitch to find and most retailers have limits.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'm pretty deep on all the Former's tobaccos and never really see them mentioned. C&D Exclusive and Pegasus are fantastic bulk blends I have a few pounds of. The Sutliff match series is a great line - I love the Match Victorian. Im really deep on Royal Yacht as well, I enjoy it any time of day.
So many more but these come to mind at the moment.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
I'm pretty deep on all the Former's tobaccos and never really see them mentioned. C&D Exclusive and Pegasus are fantastic bulk blends I have a few pounds of. The Sutliff match series is a great line - I love the Match Victorian. Im really deep on Royal Yacht as well, I enjoy it any time of day.
So many more but these come to mind at the moment.
Interesting you mention that, the video I watched that made me think this would be a good topic, the person mentioned Former's which I never heard of, as well as Pelican and a blend called Hiking but can't quite remember who was producing it and none of which I've heard of previously.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I'll admit alot of what I've liked and cellared deeply can be tough(er) to get, or no longer made, but the following aren't and I like them just as much:

-Low Country Waccamaw
-Warped: The Red Hunt
-Warped: Kings Stride
-Sutliff Match Elizabethan
-The D&R Rimboché Blends
-Assorted K&K VA flakes (astleys, F&T, Wessex, Solani, etc)
-GLP Temple Bar/Regents Flake, Stonehenge
-Balkan Supreme

Highly recommend all the above, most of them readily, or commonly, available.

Other available ones, that I thought were good but didn't end up as deep:

-C&D's Burley Flake Series
-GLP Cairo, Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, Westminster (I'm not much for Latakia for a while now)
-Sutliff Match Flying Dutchman
-Sutliff TS24
-WCC - Various
-Carter Hall
-Peterson 3P's

twofocused

Lurker
Dec 18, 2019
Interesting you mention that, the video I watched that made me think this would be a good topic, the person mentioned Former's which I never heard of, as well as Pelican and a blend called Hiking but can't quite remember who was producing it and none of which I've heard of previously.
The Hiking is excellent. Very similar to Wessex Burley Slices.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know about underrated. Lately I've been enjoying GLP's Barbary Coast for its interesting cube-cut burley base, Perique, and brandy flavoring. I've also gotten some good smokes out of D&R Two-Timer, twice toasted burleys, both as-is, and mixed with other blends or condiments. I'm enjoying a new round of C&D Tuggle Hall, a burley based English blend, PC's Match Elizabethan, C&D's Mountain Camp and their Big'n'Burley, among others. I'm going to open GLP's Jack Knife soon, I think.