What Underrated Blends in Production do You Now Cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
And, there are people who truly and absolutely loathe pie. You asked for Terra Incognita and have largely been quoted the Top 40 greatest hits. Be bold and go where few have gone before. Resist the hive mind if you dare!
? to that end I've seriously debated just randomly selecting tobaccos. The choices indeed are many and attempting to find a new path or an overgrown one, recently forgotten would be desirable! Loathe pie? I've heard only rumors!

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I have a lot of Peterson Old Dublin in stock. And Newminster 400 takes up a lot of room too. The Old Dublin doesn’t see much hype from what I can tell. I used to keep a lot of Blue Mountain before McC went out. And Mac’s Vintage Syrian before that dried up.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
So, in your opinion, what are often overlooked blends that are simply tasty or blends that match or are better than blends that are now out of production?
There are hundreds of them and the list is entirely subjective. PS LNF, MB The Cube, E. Hoffman Spilman Mixture, Sutliff CA-100, various SGs and GHs, the list goes one.
And because I thought it was interesting on its own, what is your most cellared blend that is still in production?
My most hoarded blend in terms of weight is Margate.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I personally like OJK White Label, which does not seem to get a lot of love. It has some similarities to Pegasus IMHO although many would probably disagree.

I have 35 pounds of tobacco in my cellar which is not a lot in comparison to many on this forum. It is well diversified with a lot of English blends which I don't smoke as much of as I used to. My top blends in my inventory are:

Dunhill Westminster 28 ounces (2008)
Cumberland 26 ounces (2005 to 2021)
Lane Edgeworth Ready Rubbed 22 ounces (2008).
Dunhill EMP 22 ounces (2008)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The biggest holdings by weight would be Stonehaven and Dunbar at 8 lbs each. The Stonehaven was a bit of a surprise. I was going through the bins and boxes and a bag here and there just kept turning up. It's hardly my favorite blend which is probably why it just built up over years as I forgot I had any around. I've given away and/or shared pounds of it.

I don't really need any more of anything, but I'm running low on Troost match and I'll put in for some more when I order more pipe cleaners.

Another really superb blend that doesn't get much play here is Georg Huber Virginia Golden Flake. It' s a rich, well balanced Virginia flake with a bit of a honeydew melon topping, very much in the grand tradition of classic Virginia blends. The underlying Virginias, empire leaf, deliver bolder flavors than much of our current domestic products.

All you have to do is be in Munich Germany to pick some up at the shop. It's not sold anywhere else. The next best thing is having a friend or contact to do that for you.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Strawberry rhubarb is the only one I'll eat. Now cake is an entirely different story.
Solid exception. Glad to finally have someone else agree about pie. Cake, cookies, and certain other treats are certain another story and that story is that I'll eat as much of them as are available and that's why I try not to buy them. Though just a side note when I was a child I thought "wait adults can buy and eat cake when ever they want? And they don't eat cake everyday???

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Im not cellaring much yet as I'm exploring, but I have 2 blends I have both 2 pounds off, Presbyterian and MB Navy Flake. The first doesnt get a lot of talk (from a few a lot right @LotusEater, but not in general), maybe because it isn't a English as polarizing or "unicorn desert island blend" blahblah like Penzance. The second a lot of people don't like the topping, which I find very well matching with the tobacco and to me its still a tobacco forward blend without it being a aromatic. A bonus is the pound of MB Golden Blend/Extra I have, to me a underrated BurVa. I might even not touch the pounds I have off this in 2 years. Risk is I like it more fresh than "aged" or "well rested", but in that case I have a lot off tins to tobacco bomb someone.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I don't know about "underrated" but I do have several that I cellar pretty deep.

Tins
GLP Stonehenge
GLP Fillmore
GLP Quiet Nights
G&H Best Brown Flake #2

Bulk
G&H Best Brown Flake #2
G&H Dark Bird's Eye
SG Full Virginia Flake
SG St James Flake
PS Luxury Navy Flake
Newminster #400 Navy Flake

These don't include Small Batch/Limited Releases or out-of-production blends such as McClelland.