PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've bought 6 new Petes in the past 2 years - 3 from the Sherlock Holmes series, 2 Short series and I'm generally happy with the quality, fit&finish. I will say that the silver seems to tarnish faster than on most of my other pipes, even though they are stored in a closed cupboard, but that's easily fixed.

The 6th Pete (also bought new) showed oxidation on the stem which then developed pits when polished with toothpaste. I'm upset as that pipe had not been exposed to light when stored. Pitting is a sign of poor quality vulcanite. Perhaps this was stock left over from the period when they had quality control issues.

I have had no issues with a post-WWII estate or a meer from the 1970s.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I recently purchased a Rossi 8811 for $48. It’s a pipe. It’s smokes beautifully well. I missed a sale or it would’ve been only $40.

Any pipe from an established name should do you fine. Rossi is owned by Savinelli.
5CC23131-99B8-4857-8F00-8D19C1A05D25.jpeg
Spend what you want on whatever you like. —I’m just saying that you don’t need to spend a lot to enjoy your tobacco.
B2520A30-5A47-47E6-B944-901BAFB54146.jpeg
See? Now I’m a shit-stirrer trying to save you a few dollars.

Thick walls, nice sandblast, cool smoking, easy draw, passes a pipe cleaner, housebroken and likes to be rinsed clean under warm, running water.

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
  • Check if the shank/drafthole is properly drilled;
  • See if the coating inside bowl isn't messed up;
  • The lacquer on the outside bowl shouldn't be tarnished;
  • The stem should sit flush against the shank;
  • If you have a P-lip, the hole might sometimes be too small.
These pointers are the ones I look out for when buying a Peterson, because the QC hasn't been that great the last 10 years or so. In my opinion you should buy a Deluxe, leave the Standard for what it is. The Deluxe-line is at least properly made.

Reactions: TheCROW

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Check nothing. Buy it and enjoy it

Before buying a Savinelli; however, make the there is room in the trash for a pipe sized object.
Well, for sure if they have those awful balsa filters (which are apparently now in short supply). With filters removed, for me, it was like smoking thru a manhole cover, way too large a draft hole.

On a Peterson, for me, a vulcanite P-lip is necessary.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Do the Rossi's have the balsa filter?

I recently purchased a Rossi 8811 for $48. It’s a pipe. It’s smokes beautifully well. I missed a sale or it would’ve been only $40.

Any pipe from an established name should do you fine. Rossi is owned by Savinelli.
View attachment 132226
Spend what you want on whatever you like. —I’m just saying that you don’t need to spend a lot to enjoy your tobacco.
View attachment 132227
See? Now I’m a shit-stirrer trying to save you a few dollars.

Thick walls, nice sandblast, cool smoking, easy draw, passes a pipe cleaner, housebroken and likes to be rinsed clean under warm, running water.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Do the Rossi's have the balsa filter?
The lower line of Rossi are filterless. When you get into the $60 and up they’re offered 6mm filtered. I prefer filterless, so it’s a win win for me on both price and preference. The Vitoria line— Actually a fine pipe.

MSO just mentioned in another thread Rossi’s new SERA line is out and these are $60 and 6mm filtered. I’m sold on the quality and price.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The lower line of Rossi are filterless. When you get into the $60 and up they’re offered 6mm filtered. I prefer filterless, so it’s a win win for me on both price and preference. The Vitoria line— Actually a fine pipe.

MSO just mentioned in another thread Rossi’s new SERA line is out and these are $60 and 6mm filtered. I’m sold on the quality and price.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I have a Xl 315 and I love it. Truthfully, I don't think you need to check much on a Peterson. If the nickel and stem looks a bit dull, maybe it just sat around too long. Both should shine again with a little light wiping with a moist microfibre towel.

Reactions: TheCROW and jpmcwjr

TheCROW

Lurker
Feb 11, 2020
Again thank you All for the invaluable insights guys!
I will keep you posted about what I get, especially that I plan on getting several pipes during my visit to Europe.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
If I remember correctly no one of my medium price range Peterson's in the past have had stems made out of acrylic but instead all those had vulcanite stems ,and definitely weren't of German orgin vulcanite,whereas higher grade of Petersons often have acrylic stems fitted

Reactions: JOHN72 and TheCROW

TheCROW

Lurker
Feb 11, 2020
Well here it is, my new XL315!

9f996113-d80d-4318-aee2-0d37fae0081d.jpg

I went back and bought it from the shop. Upon closer inspection, all seems in good order. No fillings, no tilted stem, drilling seems centered and I was able to pass a pipe cleaner through the stem after twisting it inside.
The model I got has a p-lip and a 9mm filter cos I like those and always have the option to smoke without them.
I have yet to smoke it though, I'm thinking about christening it with a bowl of Early Morning Pipe.
Oh, and the bowl coating inside seems okay, so I'm not gonna worry much about it, just pack and smoke, right? Cos that's what I did on my other pipes, (mainly Vauen) and never had a problem. But this is my first Peterson though so I really don't know after reading bad things about their coatings.
Thank you All.