PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

TheCROW

Lurker
Feb 11, 2020
Hey All,
I've been wanting to buy a Peterson System Standard pipe, and yesterday I came across a shop that has some. I was finally able to hold the XL315 in my hands, that's the one I am after in addition to a 307 and a 312. Both in smooth finish.
I noticed that they must've been sitting in the display cabinet for some time cos the nickel bands and the acrylic stems are not super shiny. The 312 on the other hand is super shiny, briar, nickel and acrylic, all like a mirror! That's why I noticed the difference.
I would like to know what to watch out for if I decided to buy one or two of these pipes (315 and the 307). How can Inspect the drilling and what not to be sure they are good samples, and will I be able to restore the shine to the acrylic and nickel to like-new state?
Thank you so much in advance.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
“What to Check Before Buying a Peterson”

The Savinelli catalog.

If they’d been sitting in a sunlit display cabinet there could be fading on one side of a pipe. I’ve experienced this many times.

Keeping you pipe shining is a matter of applying wax or oil. Any pipe will show its best when clean and with a light coating and rub with a soft cloth.

Peterson’s are fine pipes. I just couldn’t resist the jab. I own two non-filtered Pete’s. Lower line both. Both smoke just fine.

Last edited:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Crow
Welcome to the forum. I’m one of the regular shit-stirrers here. So I’ll offer two controversial topics to get your post rolling. ??

Pipe Cleaner Test - When inspecting a new pipe, making sure a pipe cleaner will pass easily from stem to bowl, is a simple test of drilling. Some, including myself, insist upon it. Others….. not so much.

Water Rinsing - The part of the pipe I care about being clean is the inside. I just finished washing my current rotation. Within are Savinelli, Peterson, Rossi and MM pipes. Yup, I even rinse my cobs.

27965D49-62E5-4822-B128-12EF17D52069.jpeg

Hold my beer. I wanna get some popped-corn.

TheCROW

Lurker
Feb 11, 2020
Thank you for your reply!
The pipes were displayed inside, cos the briar stain is not faded, just the all around finish is a bit dull, including the nickel band and the acrylic stem.
I don't think I can do the pipe cleaner test as the models I'm interested in are system pipes and have p-lip lol!
I'm hoping to acquire a Savinelli next though!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Thank you for your reply!
The pipes were displayed inside, cos the briar stain is not faded, just the all around finish is a bit dull, including the nickel band and the acrylic stem.
I don't think I can do the pipe cleaner test as the models I'm interested in are system pipes and have p-lip lol!
exactly system pipes will not and never were designed to pass a pipe cleaner.
no worries with the army mount they are easily dismantled should you ever feel the need too

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a little surprised that acrylic stems would get dull. I have quite a few acrylic stems, and the one thing about them is they retain their shine. It's Vulcanite that is sensitive to sunlight and oxidation in general. My acrylic stems don't fade over years. If the ones at the shop do, I'd suspect they are Vulcanite or have been improperly polished with some kind of inappropriate cleanser.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
A tapered pipe cleaner WILL pass through a system pipe. Regular pipe cleaners will not.

I just inspect the draught drilling, is it flush with foot of bowl? I also check to ensure the draught is centered.
I inspect the outer finish on the bowl, how many pit fills? How much lacquer is applied? Does stain look consistent? I also test the stem fitment; just a light twist, if it doesn’t budge, then it’s good for me. If it does move, I’ll look for another. That’s not a deal breaker, as a slightly loose mortise to tenon fitment can easily be corrected with a dab of water, as it will swell the mortise, creating a tighter fit.

I look at how heavy a hand they had with the bowl coating, and ensure all the marking are present, (you’d be surprised how many stems I find lacking the ‘P’ emblem, or being punched but not colored. Which also can be remedied with correct color acrylic paint or even nail polish.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
About drilling-check if it comes out in the middle of the bowl (not close to one side)and as lower to the bottom as possible..Peterson drills a lot of their pipes high which I pass...check the tightness and straightness of the stem ..Many their stems are crooked and leaning to one side..Thats about it..Check for fills as well..too many or extremely visible i will pass...few small fils acceptable for me...check for stamping-it should be visible

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
A tapered pipe cleaner WILL pass through a system pipe. Regular pipe cleaners will not.

I just inspect the draught drilling, is it flush with foot of bowl? I also check to ensure the draught is centered.
I inspect the outer finish on the bowl, how many pit fills? How much lacquer is applied? Does stain look consistent? I also test the stem fitment; just a light twist, if it doesn’t budge, then it’s good for me. If it does move, I’ll look for another. That’s not a deal breaker, as a slightly loose mortise to tenon fitment can easily be corrected with a dab of water, as it will swell the mortise, creating a tighter fit.

I look at how heavy a hand they had with the bowl coating, and ensure all the marking are present, (you’d be surprised how many stems I find lacking the ‘P’ emblem, or being punched but not colored. Which also can be remedied with correct color acrylic paint or even nail polish.
I did not read your post and basically repeated the same thing...our preferences are similar :) .

Reactions: Aomalley27

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Mail order pipes are always chancy . . . just like buying one over the counter at a brick and mortar that you fondled. You can inspect the hell out of pipe but, until you put leaf in it and apply fire you won't know if you have a worthwhile pipe, unless you are pedantic. For some the placement of draw hole, fit of bit, and so forth, appearances as it were, are deal makers or breakers. So, loading and smoking is the best. Now, you can inspect for imperfections which, may or may not affect the worthiness of a pipe, a personal call of course. If you are particularly concerned with cosmetics, pits, metal work, and such and, not so much how well it smokes, some decisions are easier than others. If you are simply interested in decent smoker, you'll most likely have to fire that sucker up a few times and see if the two of you get along.

People making a fashion statement, have different concerns than smokers. A dilettante (less than a bowl a day in my book) has different requirements than a three plus bowl a day smoker. Metal work is often easier to clean and make "shiny" that a blasted or scored briar. But, cleaning a pipe is, look around people less ept that you and prople more capable than you, are able to clean up a "dirty" pipe.

So, buy the pipe you crave, load and smoke it. Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peterson went through a spell, a few years, when a lot of quality control questions were raised, but I've bought Petersons right along through the years with no complaints. It might be because I bought in the low and mid-range of their line, no system pipes, all but one with fishtail stems. They haven't given me any problems, and are generally good or better smokers. Likewise, I've been fortunate with Savinelli, beginning with an unmarked basket pipe unfinished 404 yacht, so I have no complaints, and good experiences, with them, and the sub-brand Rossi. Once you're bitten by a problem pipe, the whole brand becomes suspect, I can understand. Peterson is under new ownership, and the QC problems seem to have faded. All my Petes have been bought online.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Few things about Peterson pipes. They smoke well. They look great. And they make you look better than you really are.

Problem comes with stem and how well they are formed. Some are not very straight. Check that stem is straight and well formed.

Drilling isn't all that much of a problem. However, some insists on pipe cleaner test. As to how a pipe smoke, that has little to do with the pipe unless they really screw up. Some smokers take the stem off often during the smoke to clean out moisture. I do. Not that they collect moisture a lot, but when I sense moisture, smoke gets harsh and I just clean it out. Thing is, you don't have to take the stem off and just run the pipe cleaner, but some Peterson pipes don't allow that. But, if you want to clean the mortise, you have to and that's where all the crap accumulate.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I have a Peterson plip 302 in ebony. Love it. Check if the mouth piece inserts correctly. Mine leaned to the side just a bit. I don't know if its correct but i manhandled it straight and always ensure I insert it straight. Love it. I do wash it out with water to keep that extra chamber clean. Love the p-lip, not sure if the extra chamber of the system does anything but I wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

TheCROW

Lurker
Feb 11, 2020
Thank you so much guys for all your replies!
Great heads up about the checking the stem angle.
You are so helpful! I will keep what you said in mind and keep looking around the shops before ordering online, I'd rather check the pipe in my hands before I buy it, if possible.
Thanks again.