PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I play a bit of violin, guitar, and flute, and a few others.

Sounds like we pipe smokers here can have a jam session, with even more pipe smokers to be the audience and some good whiskey to go with the gathering. :puffy:

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I mostly stick to guitar and bass but I have dabbled with keyboards a bit too. My babies are 2007 candy apple red Jimmie Vaughan signature strat and a mid 90s Martin DM. Lately it seems like the martin gets more love then anything else in my collection.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I can believe that the Martin gets most use. Sure, a fine tele like you've got is a wonderful instrument, I'm sure, but a Martin acoustic is a self contained resonator of the finest kind.

I've got a Chinese Epiphone Les Paul Jr, and a cheap acoustic, and it's my acoustic that I pick up and strum for relaxation.

If it's right after a few cups of morning coffee, it gets a little more pacing.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I've got at few cheap acoustic too that actually sounds a bit better then the martin but it doesn't play as well. I hate painted and/or polyed necks. The martin has an oiled neck and plays like a dream. Same with the strat. I have a nice resonator too that I play when I want to noodle with slide.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first love as a 'player' are is wind instruments. The only one I play is the harmonica, but it has been my substitute for the likes of the sax, trombone, clarinet or even trumpet that have appealed to my in my youth.
When we fantasize about what we'd do with a windfall, and most of us could do with an infusion of discretionary spending money, one of MY gonna do's is a music room full of instruments. Another is to do a Steinbeck/Kuralt travel trip.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
To qualify for a music education degree, we had to be able to play all of the standard band and orchestra instruments to a level of competency roughly equivalent to that of the average early high-school student in addition to playing our major instrument at an advanced level. Since then, I have picked up the bagpipes and am enjoying the folk music outlet in counterpoint to the music theory and history that I teach all day.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I trained at Berklee College (Boston) in the mid 60's, as a woodwind player with a minor in composition/orchestration/arranging. Played professionally in the 60's and 70's on all single-reed winds, plus flute, piccolo, alto flute, and a little oboe. Went back to get a music ed degree in the late 70's and as above, had to be able to play all of the standard band instruments to average high-school student. Taught in the public schools for 10 years, then computer science for 10 years before retiring. Now I'm back playing clarinet (my original instrument) in a community band!
Over my years, I've played with or for Stevie Wonder, Buddy Rich, Duke Ellington, Harry Belafonte, the 4 Tops, Little Richard....just to boast about a few! :)
Good times!!

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Piano for 38 years now. I would watch and listen to my teacher play when first started and then play it back to her in a slightly representative fashion...Can't sight read to save my life, for I play by ear. I compose all my own stuff and truly love the meditative/expressive experience of performing for myself, friends, clients and co-workers.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
My heritage is part Scottish (Highlands) on my father's side. The Bagpipes would be fun to learn. They wouldn't go over very well in the apartment building, though; but he geese that hang around outside might like it.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
These days, I regularly play ukulele and mountain dulcimer. A bit of guitar, Autoharp and recorder noodling as well. When I was younger I also played sitar, tabla and synthesizers when they were analogue (the synthesizers - sitar and tabla were always analogue :)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I was just today gifted a beautiful acoustic guitar after having expressed some interest in learning to play to my good friend. I've been reading and watching vids and exercising my very stiff fingers. I could use all the help I can get if anyone has any good self help advice here.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
The Bagpipes would be fun to learn. They wouldn't go over very well in the apartment building, though.
Students start on a practice chanter with a plastic reed - it's quiet enough to play just about anywhere. Most people don't "graduate" to the full set of pipes for a year or more, and even then, you have the option of parlor pipes, shuttle pipes, or other indoor-appropriate instruments.
(And apparently there's even a bagpipe mute.)
A practice chanter and tutorial book can be had for around $100. Be careful, though - you might be adding BAD to your pre-existing TAD and PAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.