PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Even if you're a beginner, what instruments do you play? Mine are drums (advanced), guitar (intermediate), and very basic keyboards.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
It has been a while, but the horn was my weapon of choice...
24839_109775002395110_4467315_n.jpg

24839_109774972395113_346379_n.jpg

That's me in the stripped shirt, circa 2007.

I played drums in the marching band many many moons ago, and the trap set with garage bands. Then I moved to the ukulele, then guitar and banjo. And, I then picked up playing the fiddle by ear about ten years ago. But, the banjo is what gets me the most friends. Banjo players seem to be a dying breed in this area.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been playing guitar for 51 years ( I own 30 to date) and piano for 45 years. I also play 5 string banjo, tenor banjo, bass and a very little bit of violin, which is the toughest instrument to me.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Here you go! I dug up a song from 10 years ago. http://youtu.be/eq6ob9ccBvs

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Papipeguy, looks like you have a lot of music in your life. The string instruments are hard. Someone once rented a cello for me for my birthday. I tried to teach myself but failed miserably. o should have gotten lessons. Bass and guitar are easier when it comes to self-teaching.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Meyers system flutes from the 1850s to early 20th century. Usually have six open wholes and anywhere from one to eight keys. Restoring these is much like restoring a pipe! The sound is somewhere between a recorder and a metal flute. I am NO virtuoso but love the sound and the easy fingering.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
min, I've played in a lot of bands and until recently taught lessons at out local community center. Music was a great gift from my parents and I'll never stop playing.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
That is awesome. When I was growing up, my grandfather had a concert grand piano. I used to watch him play it all the time. My grandparents lived in the Philippines but net at a music conservatory in Germany. This is the story I got. So they were both classically trained. My dad, as the youngest of 10, taught himself how to play the piano. I got piano lessons but it never amounted to anything because my teacher smelled and I was not having it. I taught myself how to play the guitar and bass. Most of what I play comes from jam sessions with my friends from college. Good times. I think I spent more time playing music than studying in college.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
self taught, harmonica(s), guitars, ukulele, tambourine, kazoo, juice harp, wax paper comb, and whistle.

I've seen some of the best guitarists who ever lived play their instruments.

I had an atrocious beat up old acoustic 6 string guitar with only 5 strings on it and about 1/2" space between strings and neck near the body...Lenny Breau came by for a visit. I had no idea. He asked if he could 'see' my guitar. Lenny Breau Lenny Breau came by for a visit. I had no idea. He asked if he could 'see' my guitar.

I couldn't believe what he did with it. The link shows him at UCLA Berkley showing a class his 7 string guitar and the Breau techniques he'd developed through the years. RIP, Lenny!

Here's a link to a rare performance I just found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku-3VRDkWYg

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Dang, min! That was a sweet jam! That kind of prog/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is exactly what I like to listen to. Were you ever able to record?
My instruments of choice are electric bass and to a lesser extent, rhythm guitar.
This is me back in '07.
rockstar-600x450.jpg

The band was short-lived and the hair is gone, but I still get to play at my church from time to time.
As your parents did, papipeguy, I hope to be able to pass down a love for music to my kids.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I have played Guitar since I was 10 years old - so almost 24 years, and still play daily.
My guitar playing and my pipe smoking are my "releases" and make all the stress of life fade away.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I played violin from age 5 until arthritis got me 4 hrs ago at age 72. Many orchestras twenty years plus of chamber music at interlocked music conferences. Grew up first four years at grandparents house under grand piano my mothers youngest sister was in music school heard her run through all instruments but she was concert pianist. Great relaxation my entire life. Shel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Piano and violin lessons that did not take years ago, despite violin in the school orchestra. I can do a wide range of old fashioned melodic tunes on the harmonica, though blues eludes me. I play a mean slide whistle, although not always on the note, and I am trying to learn coronet, although the valves are daunting. I should have taken it instead of violin, but we owned the violin. People are always asking me to play "Far, Far Away." Old joke.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Cool thread here. Really bummed about B.B.

I've played guitar since I was a kid. About 15 years ago made the move into pedal steel guitar, after working my way to it by way of bottle neck and lap steel. Really fell in love, just an amazingly fun instrument to play, although I'd been in love with the sound since I was a child. Played steel in local alt country bands for a while, then bought some property and started a business, and due to time limitations have retired from bands and gigs. Since then have gotten back into acoustic guitar and have been studying Scruggs style banjo. Dabbled with the saxophone, and that's really fun, but I think it will take me a long time to become even a hack.
Love the vids you all have posted. Great to hear you!

Status
Not open for further replies.