PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is there anything, other than money, that keeps you from going all out on pipes or tobacco?

For me, I have a smallish rack and if I'd like a new pipe, there has to be room for it on the rack or it goes. I have a very strict budget (I did say other than money though) to spend on pipes that I stick to. It allows me to enjoy collecting and enjoying pipes while being responsible about it.

bmdfm

Lurker
Jan 13, 2013
Newport, New Hampshire
Well, for me, it is mostly lack of funds. Second would be lack of space.

While I would love to have hundreds of pipes to choose from, I would never actually smoke each of them enough to warrant having all of them and I certainly don't have room to store that many. In my mind, I have just arbitrarily decided that 30 pipes is good for me. Then I added the disclaimer that the 30 pipe limit only applies to briar pipes. I am certainly not using up valuable pipe slots with cobs and clays. Or even meershaums. I only have 2 meerschaums though, so those I suppose could be counted in the collection if I redefined the collection to include them. Probably not though. Too risky. Anyway, as I rapidly approach the 30 pipe limit, not counting cobs, clays, meerschaum etc., I find myself thinking that perhaps instituting a 30 pipe limit was a little bit premature . Or, was it a 36 pipe limit. You know, I'm not really sure that it was it was only 30 and not really 36. I am now thinking that some more deliberation may be in order before I am able to fully commit to that number, whichever it was. The more I think about it, the more I am sure that the actual number was 36. If I don't include my morta pipe in that total than there is an additional free spot and not being briar, it doesn't really fit the definition of the collection anyway..........oh to hell with it! 40 pipes!

No, 45 pipes is the limit! Absolutely no more than that! Except that 50 makes for a nice even number. Just to be on the safe side, I am going with 50. That was probably the real number I had in mind subconsciously anyway.

Ask me again when I get closer to 60 pipes...........

As for tobacco, I am trying really hard to realize that I probably have enough to last me throughout the rest of my life, even when looking at that through a very optimistic lens. There are just so many I haven't tried though. And I need to be sure that I have enough of my favorites around.........

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is nothing other than lack of disposable cash to keep me (sort of) in check. Sorry I didn't really answer the question. I tried.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Rotating 'vice' OCD every 60 days. Pipes/Pipe Tobacco -> Liquor/Wines -> Antique/Vintage Firearms -> Cigars -> Custom knives/tools -> repeat!.

I'm not saying that's a good strategy for wealth or health, but it's my little hamster wheel of dopamine. My health is balanced out in that though I have a fortune in cool stuff, I work long, travel-logged hours every week and have limited hours to enjoy. Sort of like an ATF-themed O. Henry story.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
Is there anything, other than money, that keeps you from going all out on pipes or tobacco?

For me, I have a smallish rack and if I'd like a new pipe, there has to be room for it on the rack or it goes. I have a very strict budget (I did say other than money though) to spend on pipes that I stick to. It allows me to enjoy collecting and enjoying pipes while being responsible about it.

I would feel "bad" if I had a bunch of pipes that didn't get used. I have a modest collection of nice watches, straight razors, etc. I have intentionally kept this under control because if I like something, I want it/them to be used.

The jury is still out for me as to how committed of a pipe smoker I will become. Regardless, I would see my pipe collection remaining relatively small (less than 10?). I can see the tobacco inventory getting large, especially in these very early stages as I experiment and try to determine which blend(s) are most appealing.

cheers
Drew

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
About the only thing keeping PAD in check is that over time my collection has grown and evolved into what it is today and I'm heading towards a limit of pipes I find interesting or unique enough (within my price range) to purchase. Even this, though, doesn't do the best at keeping PAD at bay as there are many talented carvers out there with excellent offerings.

There's still a few pipes I'm on a specific hunt for and I'm considering having a few commissions done too.

TAD is similar. If I try a blend and like it I'll get enough of it to last me the rest of my life (when rotated in with other blends) and cellar it. There's still a lot of blends I haven't tried but a blend has to better than just okay to be cellared. I could use a few more tins of Cabbie's Mixture...

Reactions: BROBS

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The thought of the unknown future... Id hate to be broke with 200 pipes and 100 lbs of tobacco. That would be a lot like waking up to 3 strippers in my bed and no cigarettes.

Not that thats ever happened. ;)

OK Richmond. Sit down son, we need to have a talk. Do you see what you wrote up there ^^^. Do you see the absurdity of what you wrote? Why would you give a rats ass about not having cigarettes if somehow you woke up with three strippers in your bed? Assuming they were attractive, disease free, strippers under 35, not dead and not men - why would you think about anything but the shear odds of your luck at your winning that particular strain of dream lottery? If you think about cigarettes when thinking about that you are addicted and need to quit. You need to quit and you need to quit now! NOW! If you don't and you DO find yourself in that situation your peepee just won't work because you'll remember I wrote this and become impotent. rotf

Status
Not open for further replies.