PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
She's not exactly a possession. My best friend an soulmate and my lover. My wife. She's the one an only true thing in this world I care about. All of you guys are a bonus.

Dec 28, 2015
My music collection ( approximately 1,000 vinyl albums and about 2,000 CDs). Starting collecting when I was about 6 years old and never stopped. And of course my dads dog tags from the Navy and his old colt revolver. And two hand written letters that my twin daughters gave to me when they graduated high school.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
A Castello Old Antiquari that used to be my fathers. It went to a friend of ours then to me. Also, a White House invitation to George H.W. Bush's inauguration.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't have many possessions, as I'm not a wealthy man. So those I have, whether they are expensive or not are all quite prized by me. Those that might be a bit expensive, I've really had to work for, and sometimes save back money for lengthy periods of time. Of course I count all my pipes, whether low dollar pipes or more costly, all prized collections of mine. Most notably the dragon claw egg meer I posted not long ago here, my first commissioned pipe made by William Anderson Pipes, my first pipe over 70 dollars which was a 2013 Peterson St. Patrick's Day XL90 (man I love that pipe... best smoker I have I think), the first pipe I carved (also a wonderful smoker), my first Nording high grade pipe gifted to me by Peck which turned me onto the high grades (I now have a few, including a grade 20)... Peck I cherish the hell out of that pipe and your photo is still the wallpaper on my computer. My guitars, one of which my father bought me two Christmases ago. I will cherish that guitar always, because when I was a young child, he twice bought me an acoustic guitar that lasted only until his next drunken rage where he put his boot through them and destroyed them. I believe this was his way of saying he was sorry for all those hard times. It's not a costly guitar, but it plays beautifully and sounds like a dream.
....oh yeah... the 40 pounds of Esoterica Penzance I have accumulated...
....just kidding about the Penzance. :nana:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There are a few I suppose. The one which would break my heart should I lose it is a small, double picture frame with my wife at age 6, a really great "life is fun" smile, the other shot, a very pensive look.
Other than that, everything else is pretty much replaceable with insurance moneys.
Nate: I'm with you on this. I never considered my wife a possession. Nor my daughter or grandson. I thing the OP was talking about "things."

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's an interesting question and it would have to be something that could not easily be replaced.
I'll go with my custom titanium Mt. bike frame ... built to my specs by a Materials Engineer turned frame maker, now retired.
The other would have to be my Canoe Wood Congas, hand made by Mario Punchard of Isla Congas just before he left the country.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
A very nice condition M1 Garand, civilian branded. Barrel and reciever manufactured by springfield armory in '54. trigger group manufactured by springfielnd in '52.
An early 80s custom built 1911, 70 series with no pin block. "NM" numbered frame, KART barrel, BoMar adjustable front and rear dovetailed sights, Colt gold medallion checkered walnut grips and a Videcki aluminum trigger group with the cleanest most crisp trigger pull you have ever felt, set at 2.5 lbs.
A mid 70's Marlin 336 chambered in .35 Remington. My grandfather's deer rifle that he gave to me. It was the 2nd Marlin 336 he bought. The 1st was stolen.
A "cannon breech" single shot 12 gauge shotgun that as best I can tell was built sometime between 1897 and 1915. It was originally bought by my great grandfather. In 1954 after my grandfather returned from the Korean war, he and my great great uncle (his brother) went duck hunting. At the end of the day his brother was retrieving the gun from under the seat of the boat when the trigger snagged something and he was shot in the stomach. He died in my grandfathers arms. In 1973 my grandfather's house burned down, and he went into the burning house to retrieve this gun.
Also a bunch of guitars ... too numerous to list.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
We've all got things we've kept that have history we can recount and some of that history might seem precious.

Most prized? We have to think is this about practicality or sentiment?

I guess it could be both.

I've got a 30 yr old zippered, thermal lined hoodie I received as a gift that I use almost like a security blanket.

I guess it would be wrong to say: my laptop computer, since we all know that inevitably, it will be replaced.

I kept the rattle from a 10' snake.

I have an unopened Dream Team Poster, still in the mailing tube from Wheaties.

I've got my brother's Lee Oskar "G" harp.

My daughter's original artwork.

Anything that connects with a loved one.

The one thing we all have, that we all take for granted, that pipe smoking helps us to appreciate, is time.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Jack, While I suppose it's certainly possible for someone to not care about anything, it seems unlikely. It's not the things we love. Things are markers of time. They bring us back to a moment in history that was important to us. Forget actual, tangible value. What matters is the intrinsic value of an object, it's ability to transport, and relive moments. I'd say that if no object carries any meaning to you, there's something profoundly wrong. Nobody's saying they couldn't live without an object.
Nate, in all seriousness, I can't think of a single object that I prize, even in that way. I wouldn't say object like that have no meaning whatsoever, but not enough that I prize certain objects over others. I used to prize certain objects because of memories and the like, but either age (I might be younger than you, actually) or having children has totally changed my orientation to "things." I get what you're saying, but I don't think "there's something profoundly wrong." Profoundly different, I suppose. And I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with prizing certain guitars, pipes, photos, even in a limited way. Again, I used to be that way -- my baseball bat, my old glove, certain books... I never really thought about any of this until you posted the question.

I have lots of stuff, the first piece of jewelry my adopted father made for me, the medals my real father was awarded for service in Vietnam, signed books, albums, artwork, tools passed down to me, furniture that has been in the family since arriving in America, gemstones that are very unique and irreplaceable, but I also side with Jackswill. Even though all of that stuff is irreplaceable, if I were to lose it all in a fire, I wouldn't be as worried as losing a family member, friend, or pet. Actually, I wouldn't worry about the stuff at all. Not that I want to lose it, but that it's just stuff. If it was a good up between giving away all of the stuff to keep a child or even a pet, they can have the stuff. Otherwise, stuff is ok, sometimes a hassle in storing it and all. But, I wouldn't shed a tear for any of it.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've thought about it and I have a house and garage full of prized possessions but very few that I would be heartbroken if lost forever. A ship in a bottle given to my grandfather by a POW in WWII, my other grandfather's WWI medals. I have my father's geology field book from before my time and a set of granite book ends he made, these are truly irreplaceable treasures to me.

Dec 24, 2012
I have some earthly possessions that I am somewhat attached to (pipes and watches, mostly), but I still wouldn't lose any sleep if I lost them tomorrow. There is too much real stuff in life to worry about.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have some earthly possessions that I am somewhat attached to (pipes and watches, mostly), but I still wouldn't lose any sleep if I lost them tomorrow. There is too much real stuff in life to worry about.
Gee peck, thought for sure it would a compromising photo of Harris or something like that!?!? 8O

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck will never admit that his prized possession is an 8 ft portrait( done in oil paint) of me with a Rad Davis pipe in my mouth. He paid huge jack for that portrait and he sits in front of it every day for a couple of hours.
beefeater, I was almost 13 in 1970. By the time I was 30, I was doing them 2 at a time, those were the days.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
My Parker 'E' model 10 gauge damascus barrelled shotgun. Made in 1889, it still kills geese with special low pressure loads to preserve the barrels. They cost me $4 every time I pull the trigger but I love keeping this historic fowling piece in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.