PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I have a few...
Gold coin my father gave me.

Father's class ring from college.

Grandmother's watch and first wedding ring.

Paperweights that were given to me by my parents and grandparents.

Case pocket knife given as a gift from grandma.

Pipes, pipe rest, tobaccos, and lighter.

Guitars and amplifier.

Old artwork and photographs passed down from family.

Piece of sea china from Mowry Beach.

Quilt made by my great-grandmother and one made by my grandmother.
I'll stop here, but my Fender Stratocaster guitar and Fender Super Reverb amplifier are probably my most prized possessions.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If I had to pick a physical possession, it would likely be the watch my Father gave me on my 18th birthday, it's the watch he wore all through his tour in Vietnam.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jeeze, no, I'm sure not saying I'm not attached to my stuff. I still feel bad about a great leather jacket I bought in Hong Kong that was stolen from a locker on base where we had to keep our civilian clothes instead of aboard ship. Other stuff that's been taken or lost. It's because of that, rather than otherwise, that I try not to get too close to possessions. I have grieved for possessions almost like people, but better to stick with the people. Maybe at one time I thought of my companion animals as possessions, but now I think more of myself as their possession. Let's face it. Like kids. Who's in charge here?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
@Nate

I am serious. There is not a single thing I prize as that word is commonly used. I have a few hundred dollars on me. I don't want to lose that cash. I would really not want to be broke. As I stated, the older I get the less I care about anything, literally. People are precious. And, again I don't want to lose all my stuff, but I would just start acquiring things again, and in a few years I would have a bunch of stuff. When you see individuals who lost everything to a fire or tornado, every single they own,gone and lost ,and some people just say they are glad to be alive and that their family is safe. That would be me. I would never give another thought and just start acquiring things again. That is the truth.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I have a couple instruments that I'm quite fond of--my guitar, mandolin, and ukulele--as well as my leather jacket, but it wouldn't be too difficult to replace those, though it may require a little while to save up some funds. The thing that I'd make a special point to grab from my room if the building were on fire would be my computer. It's not only my most expensive possession, but the information on it and it's importance to my schoolwork are where it's real value comes from.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Jack, While I suppose it's certainly possible for someone to not care about anything, it seems unlikely. It's not the things we love. Things are markers of time. They bring us back to a moment in history that was important to us. Forget actual, tangible value. What matters is the intrinsic value of an object, it's ability to transport, and relive moments. I'd say that if no object carries any meaning to you, there's something profoundly wrong. Nobody's saying they couldn't live without an object. I feel you're giving this question too much thought and would ask why them would you post on this thread if no physical object has meaning to you? I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm genuinely curious. It would be as if someone started a thread called "favorite album of all time" and I posted "I have no favorite album."

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
You know, age has a lot to do with one's perspective on material possessions. My Dad's joked, "You spend the first half of your life collecting stuff; you spend the second half trying to get rid of it." One would think that the older you get and the longer you have something, the more it means to you, yet I find myself less and less attached to any of my possessions, throwing or giving things away that used to mean something to me.
My most prized possession is me; when I lose that, the rest won't matter. :wink:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife and I have always loved collecting things, but not the way you think of collecting. We've found many interesting items over the years, art, oddities, cameras, and of course pipes. To be honest though, none of it is anything I would cry over losing. The things that are most important to me are photos and negatives. I have my parents and even some of my grandparents photos, plus all of the photos I've taken of family and friends from over the years. I know, I should transfer them to digital and store them in the cloud or some such way, but I'd loose what I feel is the reality of the pictures, having them as originals in hand. So they're in fire safes, but if I lose them, I lose them. IMO, life is more than what you own.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
This treble viola da gamba is my prized possession. I had it made to my specifications by Michael Healey in Guildford, England back in 1983. It brought me joy back then and still does now. It's also brought me together with others to make some pretty awesome musical experiences. There may be other more expensive and ornate ones out there, but this one is irreplaceable to me.
gamba_zps9e42wbuq.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a used condom I have been saving since 1970 as it was my first conquest. Yeah it is a tad crusty but I have it hermetically sealed in a nice frame.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I gave Mr Healey a picture of my cat, Simon for the scroll carving. He wasn't crazy about doing it but I'm glad he consented =)
The strings are tuned in fourths with a third in the middle, similar to a lute;
d,g,c,e,a. They also come in tenor and bass sizes. The bass is tuned the same as a treble but an octave down.
The six strings so close together do make for some careful bowing and makes wide interval jumps challenging.
The bass violin still used in orchestras today is not really related to the violin family, but to this viol family. It still retains the same shape also being tuned in fourths instead of fifth such as the violins, violas and cellos are.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I'm a collector. I've collected items from my life's work, and my personal taste. But I cherish my Freedom more. Because without that, I wouldn't be able to do the things I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.