PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
What's something you have that you consider a prized possession? Pipe related or not.
I have an autographed copy of 'We Are Soldiers Still' signed by Joe Galloway that my father got me. Another is a Kuwait Liberation Medal from my father. I take the book with me whenever I travel, the medal stays at home.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wedding ring, maybe a watch or two. I try not to get singularly attached to too many items, because these too shall pass. Among my pipes, it is the gift pipes that have a special hold, even more than one or two treasures I've bought for myself. I like my car a lot, but any teenager on a cell phone could fix that, if not me. Family, friends and four-legged friends count most.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have a daily meditations book, one page for each day of the year. I got in rehab and everyone I met put an inscription/personal note on the page of their birthday. Also have a William Henry pocket knife given to me by my father.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
The older I get the less I value anything here on earth except people. There is nothing I could not live without and nothing I prize in the sense that people "prize" stuff. I have a lot of stuff. I like most of it, but no more than like the stuff. It could all go away and I would crack-on and start accumulating more stuff.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Firearms, pipes, cellar and house in no particular order.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I agree with Jack. I have no things I couldn't live without. But there are several people I would miss greatly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A 116 year old H&R 12 guage single shot shotgun handed down through my family since my great grandfather. Even more special is that its production date is February 27, my birthday. :mrgreen:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Oh come on... Nobody's saying things matter, but we all have something we'd miss if a fire burned your house down. You're being disingenuous to claim otherwise.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A small, no-name billiard that was a gift from my son, and two laminated, personalized bookmarks my daughter made for me when she was in about the fifth grade. If I end up homeless and dead under a bridge in 30 years, I bet they will find those three things when they rifle through my meager possessions.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My wife bought me a matched set of a Smith & Wesson 686 and 617 in the same polished finish, grips, and 6" barrels. The quality and machine-work on these items is simply outstanding and the gift was a total and complete surprise. Another is a Vauen Rosewood paneled bent apple she bought me for our anniversary several years ago... also a joy and delight to me. Generally I would echo the same previously mentioned attitudes towards material things as opposed to loved ones. I could lose all my prizes and mildly regret it and move on... but the people... that would be entirely different.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
If my place was burning down, the first thing I grab, without a doubt, is my 1964 Fender Mustang Bass.
My father bought it brand new in 1965 (when he was 16) and played it in bands throughout his 20s. I discovered it in the back of his closet when I was a teenager. He had packed it away long before I found it, once the pressures and responsibilities of raising a family and running a business had overtaken his desire to play music. I got a few books about playing bass and locked myself in my room and taught myself how to play it behind his back. What I wouldn't have given for YouTube to have existed then! After a few months, he got wise and officially passed the bass down to me.
I then played it in all sorts of bands throughout MY 20s and 30s.
Once, while shooting the breeze with him, the subject of the band I was currently playing with came up. I played him a few recordings we had done, including a cool take on Ring Of Fire, by the late GREAT Johnny Cash. He started digging through his desk and came out with a cassette tape (remember those?) that he played for me. It was a live recording of one of his bands playing a rehearsal, in his living room, in 1971. The first song was Ring Of Fire. There was my dad, playing that red 1964 Fender Baseman on Ring Of Fire, 30 years before me. Goosebumps.
I own lots of basses. They can all go up in the fire. They're replaceable. But not this one.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Ok.... Some pictures. But really everything else I have is a tool of some sort. I have a few guitars I really like , but I could replace them. I have a few pipes I really like but I could replace those also. I have a few flyrods I really like but even the Heddon Split bamboo one could be replaced. I have some books I really treasure, but those too can be replaced.
So other than some photos... Nothing
And I am not saying that anyone thinks things are more important than people.
You would have to be one screwed individual to think that.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
I certainly think that some things are more important than some people!
There are even a few things that are more important than most people.
But I also know that no things are more important than certain people.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I have a watch I really like, but that doesn't mean I'm pro-cannibalism. Eating human flesh I wrong, generally speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.