PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Ok, I'll play. Currently unemployed due to sickness but am an IT Consultant by trade. I fix your computer when it breaks. Spent eight years designing, developing and writing custom computer training for a variety of companies' proprietary software. Verizon actually managed to be wackier than the FAA.
Also have done two three-month volunteer projects for the Salvation Army's Angel Tree program (giving toys to little poor kids at Christmas).

briarpipeboiler

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2012
Louisville
Background; Industrial Engineering, Purdue University
I work in the molten metals field now with a focus on induction furnace melting. I work out of my home and am a field 'Sr. Application Engineer.' I am responsible for servicing our clients from Indianapolis (I-70) south and all throughout Kentucky. Get all the perks a field rep gets like co. car, expense acct, etc etc etc.
Have been with my co. since I was 23 yrs old fresh out of West Lafayette, 11 yrs now, and absolutely love my job. Great company, lots of freedom, couldn't ask for more.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Retired Electrical Engineer, former technical writer, former electronics technician.

What do I do now? Nothing (and loving it)

bryanhayn

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
Ex-Navy submarine electronics technician (went in for 4 years right out of high school), then got out and went to college for a few semesters using the GI Bill while working at Tower Records. Got a job as an exam proctor at Prometric then became manager 6 months later and quit school to focus on work. Currently managing Hawaii's only Prometric Testing Center and I HATE it. Going back to school hopefully in the fall to become an electrician.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Let's see...
Majored in art in HS, majored in art in college, married my highschool sweetheart and found out fine arts didn't pay the bills. Got a job as a paginator at a now defunct newspaper. Before a recession shut it down I had graduated to editorial cartoonist and graphic artist using a very early Apple. Unemployed I got a job loading/unloading trucks for Wonderbread/Hostess and delivered bulk newspapers at night in a $500 unisured unregistered Chevy van (married, first child, first house... you do what ya gotta do!). Wanted to move into route sales and couldn't so left Wonder and went to work for a local coffe company and ran a route. Wanted to wear a tie and be a big shot sales guy and took a job at a copier company. Sold a few copiers and fax machines to a nursing home and the owner asked me to come work for him as an admissions coordinator (essentially sales). Said yes and eventually he sent me back to college, got a BS in Healthcare Management and Marketing and became asst. administrator. The owner then retires as his family doesn't want to run the home and the new owners sweep the place clean of management. While I look for work I see an ad for the Orkin man. I can do sez I. And so I did. Became service manager in 6 months, went to presidents club and eventually went back to commercial sales which led me to branch manager. They moved me around, made promises that went unkept and long story short with this new recession, issues with my rent and mortgage and my wife leaving her job to move for my job, I wound up broke, forclosed and bankrupt. Left Orkin in the middle of the night (literally) and took a pest control sales job at a competitor. Quickly decided that pest control had lost it's lustre and sold my brains out saving every nickel. Quit and lived off the savings trying to figure out who/what I am. I know work at a mind numbingly beautiful job as an assembler at a medical device manufacturer. Thanks to the bankruptcy we don't need all that much to live, so the small paychecks are ok for now. We wait for the bank to finally toss us out and we go on. By the way, the mortgage bailout... Biggest scam ever pulled on this nation! We applied. Our 3 choices were pay your mortgage, pay your mortgage or pay your mortgage. Sorry for going off topic... still hurts is all.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
wildcat: thanks for the story on your jobs and rough times. The greedy bankers are the scum of the world, no politician can hold a candle to a banker.

bryanhayn

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
Very true^ I really dislike people in financial industries. I work at a test center that administers exams to FINRA employees. FINRA are securities dealers in case you don't know. They constantly arrive late in their expensive cars then question all of the test center rules. I guess they're mad that they have to be pulled away from their computers and stop making money for a few hours.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Thx H-dog! Yeah it's been a rough go as of late. I have learned that it's all just stuff... can't take it with ya. The pipe has served me well... relaxed me, cleared my noggin when it needs clearing. I am right there with you guys on my dislike of the fatcats, the ones who really run things, make the rules etc... Hope they sleep well tonight...

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
ps) We are all on a list now! See you in the re-education center! WooHoo!

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Just recently sold my restaurant of 9 years, 2 classes away along with student teaching time from being a teacher. Currently working part time at a Menards, and I keep telling myself I'm a pipe maker :puffy:

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Lets see.......re-reading this thread........I will keep my sarcasm a mile away from the "former professional sniper" (I believe that is about the effective range of a 50-Cal.), I will similarly avoid revealing too much personal stuff to the "mental-health-nurse". To the pole dance instructor: There is no work for you at my house; age restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.