PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yep, not bad at all. Prefer the twists, but redman is ok. I don’t chew very often though, so I like the jar stable twists for that reasom too.

And you’re right, it’s plenty raisiny.
Yeah I prefer not chewing at all anymore haha. Redman is pretty mild tho

Reactions: dcon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
wait till you hear how much rents gone up or how little 200 dollars is at the grocery store.
My first apartment was a studio type at $100/month, then got my mortgage at 17 for $500/month. I've seen modern rent and don't know how the young folks are doing it. And as for the grocery, I'm the guy with all of the coupons that everyone hates. rotf

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Years ago, the Tobacco Reps would be waiting outside the gates of the Milan Army Ammunition Plant, they would ask you what you chewed, Dip or chaw ? They would then throw your choice into the car as you exited the plant gate. I got a Log (10 cans) free, once a week. Kodiak was like 97 cents a can back then.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I would rather not spend time in semantics, and smoke the tins.

Five pack of tins is what I would call them, and it is right. You can call them whatever you choose - that is also right.
You are right!
I agree. The creation of special words for commonplace things like this is the domain of marketing executives.

You can't order a "large" coffee in Starbucks anymore. "You mean a grande or a venti, sir?"

My neighbor, who smokes cigarettes and joins me on smoke breaks, suggested the other day that I was "lunting" because I walked to the store smoking my pipe. Why there needs to be a special word to "celebrate" the act of walking while smoking a pipe is beyond me.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I agree. The creation of special words for commonplace things like this is the domain of marketing executives.

You can't order a "large" coffee in Starbucks anymore. "You mean a grande or a venti, sir?"

My neighbor, who smokes cigarettes and joins me on smoke breaks, suggested the other day that I was "lunting" because I walked to the store smoking my pipe. Why there needs to be a special word to "celebrate" the act of walking while smoking a pipe is beyond me.

Apparently "lunting" has been around for a few centuries - dating back to around 1550 in England. It just fell out of use until it was revived by some hipster who wanted a fancy word to describe walking around with a pipe.

I've heard it discussed on a podcast (Country Squire Radio, I think) and there is even an International Lunting Society pipe smokers can join.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I call them a sleeve. BUT, I think we should call them something totally unique- like a “chub”. It makes them sound more like a school of fish or some other friendly animate objects that way. I’m going to try it out and see if I can get it to stick with some new guys. As in “Hey, if you like Escudo, it’s cheaper by the chub.” I’ll let you know how it goes. Unless it goes really well, then you’ll know without me saying anything.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Apparently "lunting" has been around for a few centuries - dating back to around 1550 in England. It just fell out of use until it was revived by some hipster who wanted a fancy word to describe walking around with a pipe.

I've heard it discussed on a podcast (Country Squire Radio, I think) and there is even an International Lunting Society pipe smokers can join.
I'm a member of the International Brotherhood of Perambulating Pipers.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I call them a sleeve. BUT, I think we should call them something totally unique- like a “chub”. It makes them sound more like a school of fish or some other friendly animate objects that way. I’m going to try it out and see if I can get it to stick with some new guys. As in “Hey, if you like Escudo, it’s cheaper by the chub.” I’ll let you know how it goes. Unless it goes really well, then you’ll know without me saying anything.
A “chub?” As in... “I was at the store today and I got a chub.” or “Hey hon, I will be down in my man cave rubbing out a chub....” eh... I think I will stick with “sleeve.”

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
A “chub?” As in... “I was at the store today and I got a chub.” Or “Hey hon, I will be down in my man cave rubbing out a chub....” eh... I think I will stick with “sleeve.”
Exactly like that. That's why it's gold. "Hey babe, would you come help me with this chub?" is waaaay better than "Hey babe, would you come help me with this sleeve?" The first is funny in a suggestive way, they second implies you either can't dress yourself or you want her to do the ironing. Either way, the chances of any ensuing frisky business are way higher with the chub than the sleeve.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
We stll have all the plugs here, of chew. Levi Garrett, Redman, Days Work, and Bull of The Woods, are my favorites. No luck with anything to smoke in plug form, like Cotton Boll or Red Oak.
My local grocery store carries all that except Cotton Boll. Like 6 or 7 different twists and about as many plugs. Lots of pouched chew and several cans of dry snuff, too. They have something like 20+ choices in dip. I thought all grocery stores had a full service tobacco counter!? Must just be a holdover down here in Camel Country.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My local grocery store carries all that except Cotton Boll. Like 6 or 7 different twists and about as many plugs. Lots of pouched chew and several cans of dry snuff, too. They have something like 20+ choices in dip. I thought all grocery stores had a full service tobacco counter!? Must just be a holdover down here in Camel Country.
Yeah man. None of that here. I think dipping is still much more popular in the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.