PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
Retired Crime Scene Investigator. I didn't smoke at crime scenes or in the lab for obvious reasons. If I needed a smoke at crime scenes I'd get in my vehicle for a smoke. If at the lab, there was a designated area outside for smokers.
That was first career- I miss some aspects, and others not so much. I still get calls/cases from time to time, and it will certainly continue to shape me in the future.

I’m in medical education now, and don’t smoke on the job. My pipe time is almost exclusively during my commute or on my balcony with a book/iPad. When I’m in the field, I can smoke (depending on location) and have some wonderful friends and memories from smoking in the Middle East and China, but the pandemic has curtailed my travels for the near future. To be honest, I don’t really have any smoking friends here in the States so fieldwork is something I always look forward to during the rest of the year.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Worked in kitchens for a long time. Then got into the medical field on the billing and management end which is a horrible thing to do to ones self. Now I am a janitor and that job is awesome you mostly get left alone and can listen to music and think while doing work that could be annoying to most people and it's the first job I've had where the employer actually makes sure you have the tools you need to do the job. Though you as gross as it is I know understand why proctologists are one of the busiest types of doctors, people seriously if things like that are coming out of you on the regular go talk to a doctor or change your diet, something because that ain't right. My passions are art. Writing, painting, and making music. The things I spend my extra cash on movies, video games, and tobacco. And if it wasn't for woman and sex I honestly think I'd have found a monastery that's fine with video games and pipe smoking so who knows maybe that's where I'll end up.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Retired Crime Scene Investigator. I didn't smoke at crime scenes or in the lab for obvious reasons. If I needed a smoke at crime scenes I'd get in my vehicle for a smoke. If at the lab, there was a designated area outside for smokers.
That was first career- I miss some aspects, and others not so much. I still get calls/cases from time to time, and it will certainly continue to shape me in the future.

I’m in medical education now, and don’t smoke on the job. My pipe time is almost exclusively during my commute or on my balcony with a book/iPad. When I’m in the field, I can smoke (depending on location) and have some wonderful friends and memories from smoking in the Middle East and China, but the pandemic has curtailed my travels for the near future. To be honest, I don’t really have any smoking friends here in the States so fieldwork is something I always look forward to during the rest of the year.
so I bet you guys both have some stories. Unless you worked somewhere that the worst crime was the case of the missing snickers bar.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I cannot smoke at work, but each morning I place my pipe and tobacco choice of the day on the desk in my office and usually enjoy part of a bowl enroute home. My profession requires periods of public interaction and, also a monk like solitude at times. I look forward to enjoying the pipe I have chosen each day.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I started, age 12, rebuilding wooden pallets in my father's business. Next was laying rail. Then, after the quake, night watchman and back to gandy dancer. Then, college dropout and I became a cop, retired and worked in Russia forming a "joint venture" security company for an Alaskan Native corporation. Now I'm a wildlife photographer at age 74. Never had a position or job where I couldn't smoke as I desired. But, that was mostly before smoking became anti-social behavior.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
so I bet you guys both have some stories. Unless you worked somewhere that the worst crime was the case of the missing snickers bar.
Too many stories to tell, some good, some bad, but one thing remained constant. Each day was a new adventure and needless to say, never boring. Now retired, I concentrate on what's good in my life now.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Right now I’m a farmer on a small organic farm. I love it. I’ve also worked at a heat treating plant, a music store, a wilderness camp, a watch company, a machine shop, a car rental agency, a car dealership, managed a car wash, slung boxes at Amazon, and have been a landscaper. Kind of a semi-pro musician, pre-pandemic, and I hope one day soon I’ll be back playing gigs (I could get gigs, now, but they’re just not as fun when you can’t socialize). Only time I could smoke while working was landscaping. I choose not to on the farm, cause 90% of the time I’m covered in mud.

The idea of having a career that I stick to is just scary to me, I get bored too quickly and need to move on. All of these jobs have given me a large skill set though, and nothing much intimidates me any more.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My wife and I run our online business. We make orgonite, which are very simple free-energy, negative ion generators used for a variety of physical and environmental health reasons. It has sustained itself for six years now (and, blessedly, through 2020), and it means we work exclusively from home. That said, we rent, so all my pipe smoking must take place outside, where it is often windy, way the hell too cold, snowing, or any combination of the three. Such is life, but I also feel blessed to have a wife who has no issues whatsoever with my "hobby."

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I own a string of high end brothels across the country. Access by membership only. Each one has a posh smoking lounge stocked with high end cigars and unicorn pipe blends. I call these Smoke & Poke. One time membership fee is $500. PM me for my PayPal account if interested in joining.

I also have a lower end version for Aromatic and Latakia smokers. Call it Stroke Ur Joke. I couldn't leave @BROBS without a place to visit.
Smoke and Poke....... I'll have to use that as a tee shirt design concept for my pipe/cigar tee shirt line I'm developing. hahaha! With your permission of course

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I’m a musician and music teacher. Mostly in Scottish Traditional/Folk music and on the fiddle (violin).

It’s all I’ve ever done other than the occasional job while a student - even then I was able to mostly pay my way by doing gigs.

Can’t smoke whilst doing any of it. Fiddle gets in the way of the pipe or vice versa depending on your outlook.
Love traditional Irish and Scottish fiddle music. Used to work in community mental health as a therapist and manager. Now I just paint pictures and watch birds. Of course, smoking indoors in public places has long been verboten. But I directed a small mental health outreach clinic over 30 years ago and kept a rack of pipes on my desk then. Would smoke English blends there. Should have had more sympathy for my secretary in the next room.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I’m a musician and music teacher. Mostly in Scottish Traditional/Folk music and on the fiddle (violin).

It’s all I’ve ever done other than the occasional job while a student - even then I was able to mostly pay my way by doing gigs.

Can’t smoke whilst doing any of it. Fiddle gets in the way of the pipe or vice versa depending on your outlook.
A straight stem pipe would get in the way slightly less than a bent stem one. Churchwardens could pose a serious problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.