PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Just curious what avocations, professions, crafts, jobs people on this forum are engaged in (or used to be for the lucky retirees) and can you smoke on the job? I’m an attorney in the financial services (hedge fund) industry and most definitely not able to smoke at work. When I worked as a corporate attorney at a big law firm i used to go downstairs occasionally to smoke a cigarette when it got unbearable (after the which was often) but gave that up a long time ago.

Just curious what avocations, professions, crafts, jobs people on this forum are engaged in (or used to be for the lucky retirees) and can you smoke on the job? I’m an attorney in the financial services (hedge fund) industry and most definitely not able to smoke at work. When I worked as a corporate attorney at a big law firm i used to go downstairs occasionally to smoke a cigarette when it got unbearable (after the which was often) but gave that up a long time ago.
Investigations complete ... now I am 100% sure you were my secret Santa. I rest my case ?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm waiting for a particular forum member to appear. He is forever telling us what he does for a living so I fully expect him to jump at this opportunity to remind us all yet again ?.

As for myself, prior to being in my current situation I have been (in no particular order) a trainee supermarket manager, carpenter/joiner, slaughterman, woodsman, chef, farmer, worker at an animal sanctuary and a raft of inbetween minor jobs.

Regards,

Jay.?

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I’m a musician and music teacher. Mostly in Scottish Traditional/Folk music and on the fiddle (violin).

It’s all I’ve ever done other than the occasional job while a student - even then I was able to mostly pay my way by doing gigs.

Can’t smoke whilst doing any of it. Fiddle gets in the way of the pipe or vice versa depending on your outlook.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I realize now that many are sensitive about posting this info. Apologies. I find one of the interesting things about this forum is hearing about how others across this big country (and around the world) live - kind of the idea of the “show us your scene” thread or the requests by admins to post location. Living in a large metro area can be a bit of a bubble and I am always interested to hear about people’s experiences that are different than mine. Also curious as to how/whether the pipe smoking hobby breaks down demographically.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I'll try to keep it in some sort of order....brick mason, carpenter, sheet metal fabricator, welder, I ran a hydroelectric dam, Structural designer, Electrical designer and now I'm a Mechanical engineer in the Pharma industry. For those of you in the Raleigh area, I was the operator at Milbournie hydroelectric dam.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Agricultural/civil engineer. Tobacco use among co-workers is limited to lots of dip/chewing tobacco and random cigarettes here and there. I personally use nasal snuff while at work. I don't have time to pack and enjoy a pipe, but it sure is tempting while standing in the middle of cattle or crop fields, especially a North Tennessee Burley field.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was a manufacturer's rep in the jewelry industry as my first real job. I had dropped out of Boston University with only a 2 year degree. I hated school, I was a straight C student since first grade and one of the greatest days of my life was dropping out.

My old man was so pissed off. I was the chosen one, I was being groomed to take over the family law firm. My dad owned his corporate attorney office and he just assumed I would follow him. He never under stood, I was a low grade moron when it came to school, but I was a AAA genius when it came to making money.
I actually should have gone to Julliard as I was a really good drummer.
My jewelry job gave me all of New England as my territory and the money was really good. After a few years I quit as my boss tried to claim someone I closed was really his client who he could never close because the owner hated him.

Next stop car business outside of Boston. Started in Feb 1984 and by April I was the number one salesman. There were over 20 salesmen and I was hated by almost all as I made them look like a bunch of pikers. A year later I was a truck manager at a Dodge store and I took them from number 35 in N.E to number 3 in about 6 months. I was rewarded by being made sales manager, given a base salary of 50K with 5% of net sales at the end of the month. It was a take it or leave it. I had made so much money with them as they never thought it possible to hit the numbers I did selling trucks. I was making 10K a month plus bonuses which was more than the GM of the store so they of course cut my pay. I was still making good money for the later 80's.

1990 car biz took a shit. We were a 200 plus car store then like over night we were grinding for 80 cars a month. One of my dad's clients mentioned one day that a new pool hall opened near him and he went in and the place was crowded.

I went to every pool hall in New England robbing every good idea I could and watched all the stupid mistakes not to make.

I opened my pool hall in June of 1990 and by July I was making a profit. in 1994 I bought the plaza the pool hall was in and I almost tripled the rents. In 2010 I closed the pool hall and rented out the space. In 2017 I sold the plaza and been retired since. My timing was damn good as if I owned that plaza and not getting any rent money would have been a bitch. I am retired and pretty much a cripple. Too many back surgeries, foot,shoulder all from sports plus being on my feet 70 hours a week in the car biz and then 14 plus hours when I opened the pool hall. I had 19 9 foot professional tables that were all solid oak and carved legs and much more.

Here are a couple of pics.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I admire the hell out of people who build things, design things, fix things, open their own business, work with their hands etc. And am a bit envious. Everything has its challenges but pushing paper and sitting in an office or in front of a screen all day can be soul destroying at times. Best job I ever had was a college summer job working in a stable, mucking stalls, grooming and tacking, learning to ride, taking out trail rides.

I realize now that many are sensitive about posting this info. Apologies. I find one of the interesting things about this forum is hearing about how others across this big country (and around the world) live - kind of the idea of the “show us your scene” thread or the requests by admins to post location. Living in a large metro area can be a bit of a bubble and I am always interested to hear about people’s experiences that are different than mine. Also curious as to how/whether the pipe smoking hobby breaks down demographically.
No apologies necessary... It was a fair question and I will respond to you in PM

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I own a string of high end brothels across the country. Access by membership only. Each one has a posh smoking lounge stocked with high end cigars and unicorn pipe blends. I call these Smoke & Poke. One time membership fee is $500. PM me for my PayPal account if interested in joining.

I also have a lower end version for Aromatic and Latakia smokers. Call it Stroke Ur Joke. I couldn't leave @BROBS without a place to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.