Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Robusto
NHtQkAQl.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Memorial Day Barbecue ? done. Since I cannot clench for a long time, no pipes smoked during the barbecue. We had New York Strip Steak ?, Spicy ? Cheeseburger ?, peri peri chicken ? breast, pink lemonade and iced tea ☕️. While I normally don’t View attachment 82475drink ? second time a week, today I made an exception by adding a generous helping of Old Monk Rum ? to my iced tea. Now relaxing with a My Father 1922 Le Bijou
Atta boy, @cshubhra ! How is Peri Peri Chicken? They just owned a joint called Port of Peri Peri in my city but haven't tried it yet. I had never heard of it, but halal places and chicken places should both do well with how many Muslims live here. Of course, just about every culture loves chicken! Lord knows I love a good yardbird!

Enjoying a Tatuaje Black Label BC Petit Corona with a cafecito.

20210531_183205.jpg

ta boy, @cshubhra ! How is Peri Peri Chicken? They just owned a joint called Port of Peri Peri in my city but haven't tried it yet.
Peri peri chicken is a dish made popular by Nando's - It is chicken marinated in Peri peri sauce and then grilled. There is a Nando's restaurant in DC, and it was quite good.

My version also tasted quite good. ?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Partagas Lusitania. Again from 2017, and this is my second to last of this box. I've now gone through two 10 count boxes, and both went through a brief "sick" period upon arrival, but after 120 days or so in the humidor, both boxes have been stellar! Highly recommended to those who have the patience to give them a few months rest, but don't necessarily want to wait years to age them. Though they're excellent at 4 years and have legs for more..

20210602_181450.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Partagas Lusitania. Again from 2017, and this is my second to last of this box. I've now gone through two 10 count boxes, and both went through a brief "sick" period upon arrival, but after 120 days or so in the humidor, both boxes have been stellar! Highly recommended to those who have the patience to give them a few months rest, but don't necessarily want to wait years to age them. Though they're excellent at 4 years and have legs for more..

View attachment 82797
I bought a box of 10 in 2010 and smoked a few and gave a few more to my older brother, who didn't deserve them. Over the year I smoked a few more but by about 2010 the wrappers were splitting, so I acted quickly and gave the final two away to my old tobacconist.

In these smokes I was never wowed by some superlative Cuban flavor.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I bought a box of 10 in 2010 and smoked a few and gave a few more to my older brother, who didn't deserve them. Over the year I smoked a few more but by about 2010 the wrappers were splitting, so I acted quickly and gave the final two away to my old tobacconist.

In these smokes I was never wowed by some superlative Cuban flavor.
In my opinion, Partagas is probably the least typical tasting of Cuban cigars. I usually don't get that classic "twang" and the flavor profile is more savory than most other Habanos. That said, I love a good Partagas because it has some really unique, complex and substantial-tasting flavors. Of course, there are differences between the various vitolas, but they all seem to share some common "themes"

It's not my favorite Cuban marca (that would probably be Montecristo or Upmann), but it is one I like to have around because of its uniqueness and general high quality.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In my opinion, Partagas is probably the least typical tasting of Cuban cigars. I usually don't get that classic "twang" and the flavor profile is more savory than most other Habanos. That said, I love a good Partagas because it has some really unique, complex and substantial-tasting flavors. Of course, there are differences between the various vitolas, but they all seem to share some common "themes"

It's not my favorite Cuban marca (that would probably be Montecristo or Upmann), but it is one I like to have around because of its uniqueness and general high quality.
What a lovely review of the brand! I bought the Lusitanias due to a review, where it was listed in the best Cuban cigars, all a flagship of their respective brands, which were just the type to escape the political stripping of the traditional way of making cigars during the boom.

During this time Pete Johnson, who achieved local notoriety in LA during his teens for being the resident expert, and who went on to found Tatuaje and L'Atelier, said that the taste of Cubans changed so much so as not to be deserving of their name. But I don't read anything about this here. Have the problems with Cubans gone away?

Anyway, it takes me repeated tastings to arrive at a conclusion about tobacco, which I never did with the Partagas.

Status
Not open for further replies.