PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
What a lovely review of the brand! I bought the Lusitanias due to a review, where it was listed in the best Cuban cigars, all a flagship of their respective brands, which were just the type to escape the political stripping of the traditional way of making cigars during the boom.

During this time Pete Johnson, who achieved local notoriety in LA during his teens for being the resident expert, and who went on to found Tatuaje and L'Atelier, said that the taste of Cubans changed so much so as not to be deserving of their name. But I don't read anything about this here. Have the problems with Cubans gone away?

Anyway, it takes me repeated tastings to arrive at a conclusion about tobacco, which I never did with the Partagas.
Problem with Pete Johnson is he had a product to sell, and he chose to denigrate the competition. Many NC manufacturers like to trash talk cubans, then try to make their brand as cuban as possible. Consider Pete's plagiarism of the Montecristo label for his Tatuaje brand, and his plagiarism of the Behike line for the L'Atelier.

Fact is, Pete had Pepin Garcia making him some great smokes, but when Garcia got into a legal skirmish with the Fernandez family (who was supplying him with all of his leaf), the quality of the Tatuaje blends dropped, IMO. I know they're still highly regarded by many folks, but if you come across an old brown label made with the Nicaraguan wrapper, there's no comparison. I gave up on Tatuaje many moons ago, with the exception of a random black label every so often.

If you're talking about an American Boy Wonder of cigars, I'd recommend Dion Giolito. Illusione cigars were and are still a revelation for me every time I smoke them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
No doubt Johnson's remarks were made for economic gain. But I doubt that this was his only motivation. How could he put aside the fact that there was plenty of money to he made by being a zealot of quality, which he is anyway. Yes, this is rational while lying about Cubans is irrational. And in this opinion he had plenty of company, starting even a decade earlier by warnings that Cuba's soil was being destroyed by poor soil upkeep.

While I was smoking cigars my considered opinion, which admittedly could use more consideration, or study in smoke, was that although Tats cost more, they were worth it,

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
No doubt Johnson's remarks were made for economic gain. But I doubt that this was his only motivation. How could he put aside the fact that there was plenty of money to he made by being a zealot of quality, which he is anyway. Yes, this is rational while lying about Cubans is irrational. And in this opinion he had plenty of company, starting even a decade earlier by warnings that Cuba's soil was being destroyed by poor soil upkeep.

While I was smoking cigars my considered opinion, which admittedly could use more consideration, or study in smoke, was that although Tats cost more, they were worth it,
I never read that thing about poor soil upkeep, but my understanding is that would be a bullshit statement. Since Cuba is forbidden from conducting business with American agriculture companies, they have had to rely on homegrown sustainability. To this day, Cuba remains a great place to learn about sustainable agriculture - much of the fertilizer used on the fields is plain old horse poop and if the Cubans strip the nutrients from the soil to a great degree, they are SOL in buying agrichemicals to replace what was lost.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Cognac and a cigar...
SBhXkNy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.