PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Plasencia Cosecha 151 San Diego 5.75x46
Finally my Honduran Puro palate has been fully unlocked here with this Plascenia. If succulent earth is a thing, it exists here. Not big on earthy or woodsy cigars that leave the mouth dry, this is earthy and oaky but the finish is so darn clean and leaves your mouth moist , with a tinge of sweetness and white pepper. Smooth city, great cigar. This is terroir with a capital T, like French wines that sometimes even give off old stone cellar dampness with earth on the tongue, extremely elegant smoke. Nothing much when it comes to transitions for me, except for in the final third when the oak gets a bit on the zesty side with smoothness still dominating however. Reminding me of the Hondurans from Aladino with their dry zesty earth kick that I powered through without finding anything unfortunately that attached to my tastes, but with this its game on all day. Spot on draw, combustion, burn line and everything with just two ash deposits. Almost a 2 hour smoke with this and it’s funny my expectations with this cigar due to the cold draw matching the flavor of inflatable pool tube. Glad to say that didn’t translate into the smoke.

Plasencias “bottom” tier cigars have been knocking it out of the park for me. I peeked at CigarDojo and Halfwheels review after writing this and am quite surprised to be in total lockstep with their findings. That’s a rare result for me with any reviewer.
View attachment 317341
View attachment 317342
Enjoyed reading this, thanks man!

Glad it was a nice smoke

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Earlier today I enjoyed a Micallef "a" that was quite good, smoked for about an hour, and was made even better reflecting on the $3 and change I paid. Glad I grabbed 40(!) in smokingpipes recent sale.

Illusione Rothschild (Maduro) at my neighbor's this evening.

No pics 😕

Well, here's Big Sand Cave in WI for something to look at
1000002513.jpg

BronzeAgePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
Enjoyed reading this, thanks man!

Glad it was a nice smoke
Thank you! It’s not always I can shake down a review or make sense of a stick that matches up with the pros. Most the time it’s like mmm good me like, sweet, nutty yay. Seems like flavor bombs just overwhelm me and in return I can’t break them down, only just enjoy them. But when I get a cigar that really speaks its terroir and creates a strong dimension whether the 4th or not, and is actually really tasty, I find myself able to put the experience into words.

Also on paper a Honduran Puro is not a place I really saw my palate getting to anytime soon, didn’t mean I didn’t try by exploring much Aladino and other earthy sticks, wanting to find joy in what is almost the antithesis of what I love about cigars… I enjoy bready, sweet, citrus, floral, cocoa & nutty flavors in sticks but had such a lovely experience with this cigar I had to articulate why.

A few years ago there was a debate whether you can smoke a cigar or a pipe in a convertible. I used to smoke occasionally in my convertible then, but no one believed me as I did not have photo evidence. Today, immediately after I lit the cigar, my son called for a pick up. While I no longer smoke in my car, I did not want to throw away the cigar I just lit: So here is proof.

Smoking a Villiger La Capitana.

IMG_8146.jpegIMG_8148.jpeg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
We stayed up late, got up late, and had a late breakfast on the porch. Tonight is a UFC Fight Night. On Wednesday, our friend, Rob, gifted us a bottle of hot sauce made by UFC fighter, Dustin Poirier. We opened it on Friday to have with some avocado, but the seal was floating on the oily rim of the bottle, so Susan didn’t feel comfortable trying it, since it wasn’t really sealed; the hot sauce has no preservatives and says to refrigerate after opening. We didn’t try it on Friday and put it in the fridge. Today, I decided to roll the dice and chance it and have a UFC tie-in breakfast and put it on the potatoes. If you don’t see me in the pipe WAYS thread at 7:00 pm EST, you’ll know why.

20240615_153749.jpg

Having a Man o’ War Salomon, 7.1” x 58, on the porch. It’s 77⁰ and sunny.

20240615_162050.jpg

Wasabi has opted for a spot in the shade under a table.

20240615_162355.jpg

@Humblepipe

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
This and the maduro are one of my favorite cigars, hands down. In fact, Nicaragua is my favorite tobacco growing region outside of Cuba in terms of flavor profile in general. Most of the cigars i smoke come from one of the two. Nice! 👍
I’ve been enjoying Honduran cigars more than I expected lately, but Padron is never a bad choice!

AreBee

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
A few years ago there was a debate whether you can smoke a cigar or a pipe in a convertible. I used to smoke occasionally in my convertible then, but no one believed me as I did not have photo evidence. Today, immediately after I lit the cigar, my son called for a pick up. While I no longer smoke in my car, I did not want to throw away the cigar I just lit: So here is proof.

Smoking a Villiger La Capitana.

View attachment 317566View attachment 317567
I recently smoked a cigar successfully in my Jeep with the top down and doors off. In 13+ years I never tried it except at really low speeds on the beach. It can be done!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
IMG_7432.jpeg

For this evening, a pedestrian proletariat selection from the Display Humidor of Orphaned Singles. Vintages unknown, but no older and 3-4 years. Never had either one, so the HC is my backup if the Brick House is as unremarkable as I expect it will be.

IMG_7431.jpeg

Spent all day moving logs and rescuing stuff from total consumption by the multiflora. That sh#t takes over!

EDIT:
No need for the HC. The Brick House
Is quite enjoyable. A soft roll, but it draws well, stays lit and is enjoyably flavorful!

Last edited:

BronzeAgePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
When Aladino hit the market, I was hoping for a resurrection of the old Camacho Corojo. What we got was much better - the bubblegum notes that flit in and out always surprise me. Served alongside a Montague & Capulet cocktail to beat the heat.
View attachment 317640
Wow high praise there. For some reason I overlooked this one, ordering some right dang now though. This is one brand I’ve wanted to like more than anything. I love Corojo and their Reserva is a real nice one just somehow didn’t see this one. Bubblegum note I’d love to find too actually, it’s been awhile on that, I was just thinking about that the other day lol