Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I'll answer twice then. I found it in a semi forgotten humidor and don't remember when or where I got it. Not recently for sure. I'm guessing it is 3 to 5 years old. I did a search online and didn't find any in stock - lots of backorders.
Gotcha! Thanks for the intel. Hope it smoked as good as it looks.

ThomasS

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Decided to mix it up today. I’ve got a Diesel Disciple torpedo. This was recommended to me at a shop as being similar to a Drew Estate Deadwood, so I got two to try.

After the first one I have to say that it’s really not much like Deadwood at all and I’m glad I only got two.

image.jpg

dottlejockey

I hear ya! If you’ve never had an Amazon Basin, I do suggest trying to pick a couple up if you can find some singles somewhere. They’re a great smoke!

I agree. I actually like a few of CAO's offerings. I smoke the Brazilia and Nicaragua most often. The last time i got my hands on some Amazon Basin was many years ago. Maybe 2016? Can't remember, but i still have 2 or 3 in the humi somewhere. When i got down to the last 5 or 6, they became special occasion status, so i might visit them once every 2 or 3 years at this point. Didn't think i'd ever see them again and to see that they have a 2024 release gives me hope. :)

Kilgore Trout

Nov 5, 2019
Here's an AJ Fernandez New World that I grabbed when they first came out in 2014. The cellophane was hilariously brown. I remember these being kind of harsh back then. This has been sitting at 65 percent humidity for the past decade and now it's shockingly good. The first half inch was harsh, but it's settled down into SMOOTH, creamy, woody, coffee, earthy, chocolate, with a great pastry thing that' sbeen popping in and out. When it's in there the thing tastes like a chocolate donut. Burn is sharp and the ash is pretty solid. First dropped off after about an inch and a half. I think I paid about $5 a piece for these at the time. I should have put away a box; I think this is my last one. Oh well.

Unknown.jpeg

Edit: This thing just hit me a a BLAST of almonds at the mid point. Fantastic.

Last edited:

dottlejockey

View attachment 317097

First cigar in a week, minor victory at work today, so I went for a Padron 64 natural. So smooth and tasty

This and the maduro are one of my favorite cigars, hands down. In fact, Nicaragua is my favorite tobacco growing region outside of Cuba in terms of flavor profile in general. Most of the cigars i smoke come from one of the two. Nice! 👍

BronzeAgePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
Plasencia Cosecha 151 San Diego 5.75x46
Finally my Honduran Puro palate has been fully unlocked here with this Plascenia. If succulent earth is a thing, it exists here. Not big on earthy or woodsy cigars that leave the mouth dry, this is earthy and oaky but the finish is so darn clean and leaves your mouth moist , with a tinge of sweetness and white pepper. Smooth city, great cigar. This is terroir with a capital T, like French wines that sometimes even give off old stone cellar dampness with earth on the tongue, extremely elegant smoke. Nothing much when it comes to transitions for me, except for in the final third when the oak gets a bit on the zesty side with smoothness still dominating however. Reminding me of the Hondurans from Aladino with their dry zesty earth kick that I powered through without finding anything unfortunately that attached to my tastes, but with this its game on all day. Spot on draw, combustion, burn line and everything with just two ash deposits. Almost a 2 hour smoke with this and it’s funny my expectations with this cigar due to the cold draw matching the flavor of inflatable pool tube. Glad to say that didn’t translate into the smoke.

Plasencias “bottom” tier cigars have been knocking it out of the park for me. I peeked at CigarDojo and Halfwheels review after writing this and am quite surprised to be in total lockstep with their findings. That’s a rare result for me with any reviewer.
IMG_5964.jpeg
IMG_5966.jpeg