PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Just smoked half a JFR Corojo 770, burns great, I love the long stick, but it doesn't taste like anything except "Cigar" which to this point I have zero positive associations with.
People are supposed to be able to acclimate to any flavor but it sure is taking a long time.

I've laced the next three sticks with Rum and Anise to hopefully mix in something worth tasting.

The upside is cigars still cause minimal throat irritation compared to pipe tobacco, it's a real love/hate relationship.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Just smoked half a JFR Corojo 770, burns great, I love the long stick, but it doesn't taste like anything except "Cigar" which to this point I have zero positive associations with.
People are supposed to be able to acclimate to any flavor but it sure is taking a long time.

I've laced the next three sticks with Rum and Anise to hopefully mix in something worth tasting.

The upside is cigars still cause minimal throat irritation compared to pipe tobacco, it's a real love/hate relationship.
For me (a noob), pipes caused nose irritation on retrohale, found out it was due to perique. Cigars occasionally give me that same bit of spicy irritation but I think it's due to heat for now, perhaps high nicotine of the maduros I enjoy... with a pipe I usually smoke filters.

So just as I do with perique, I will pull about half a puff, then pull the as much air as I can from the side of my mouth to dilute the smoke and swish it for a few seconds. When I retrohale this way the flavors are so much more apparent because its less irritating on my nose and a bit cooler.

From a video, and of course if you're in private and don't mind looking like a fool and slightly sensual with a stick in your mouth, you can close your eyes for a "taster" puff, it helps a little to focus in on the flavor.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
For me (a noob), pipes caused nose irritation on retrohale, found out it was due to perique. Cigars occasionally give me that same bit of spicy irritation but I think it's due to heat for now, perhaps high nicotine of the maduros I enjoy... with a pipe I usually smoke filters.

So just as I do with perique, I will pull about half a puff, then pull the as much air as I can from the side of my mouth to dilute the smoke and swish it for a few seconds. When I retrohale this way the flavors are so much more apparent because its less irritating on my nose and a bit cooler.

From a video, and of course if you're in private and don't mind looking like a fool and slightly sensual with a stick in your mouth, you can close your eyes for a "taster" puff, it helps a little to focus in on the flavor.
My nose is still sensitive enough that a retrohale would feel about the same as igniting a whiff of lighter fluid.
Given how infrequently I smoke (about once a week) that's probably never going to change.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Funnily anise is one of the last few flavors I have to acclimate myself to. I find it amazing in small doses, like anise extract in sweet potato pie, but in Thai cuisine for instance if they use tons of Thai basil with that anise flavor, I'm still having to work on it. I've also been a lifelong hater of dill pickles. But I make dill pickled fennel that is light years beyond it and I eat it raw from a bowl no problem. I like dill, I like cucumbers, but the combination has been troublesome. About to make some actually with home grown dill, for a Cuban sandwich.

100% of the food I eat now, which is pretty much any whole food I can get my hands on, I used to hate about 2 years ago. I have turned my diet from standard American prison food as I call it (meat and potatoes) to really appreciating food the world over, spices to me are still worth their weight in gold. It did not come easily though.

I am a Cajun/Southern/Caribbean and Asian food addict though. Don't cook many other styles myself, but I will eat anything.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Could you please post a demonstration photo? (asking for one of the moderators).

Avo Heritage with Indonesian coffee
The variety of your coffee selections seems myriad. Do you have a coffee cellar?

I’ll smoke this today:D7CEB8D0-1B62-47EA-8D52-29332F2CFEEC.jpeg
And does anyone have either general or specific advice to share regarding resting/aging cigars? Are there brands or tobacco types that you feel require age? Are there ones that you prefer not to age? I’m having trouble determining if aging should be important to me or too much bother.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Could you please post a demonstration photo? (asking for one of the moderators).
I do my best to maintain anonymity. I don't understand though, the asking for one of the moderators bit?

Here are my recent roasts, going to try one today, all organic. This little Robot, if used correctly and perfectly, can produce espresso rivaling $5,000 machines.

I do think I will pair the shot with a Montecristo with Connecticut wrapper...

IMG_0333.JPG

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I do my best to maintain anonymity. I don't understand though, the asking for one of the moderators bit?

Here are my recent roasts, going to try one today, all organic. This little Robot, if used correctly and perfectly, can produce espresso rivaling $5,000 machines.

I do think I will pair the shot with a Montecristo with Connecticut wrapper...

View attachment 142301
Just a joke (I don’t need any dreamy eyed pics of you, nor the mods.). It was a funny visual you conjured is all. Beautiful machine you have there BTW.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
And does anyone have either general or specific advice to share regarding resting/aging cigars? Are there brands or tobacco types that you feel require age? Are there ones that you prefer not to age? I’m having trouble determining if aging should be important to me or too much bother.
I usually let cigars rest for a couple of weeks or a couple of months depending on where I bought it.

I've noticed aging helps some cigars lose that bitter taste.

I'm smoking an Undercrown Connecticut Shade.
16510863503765910312452452159934.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.