PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Reading these responses tells ya that our forefathers stuck with one blend most of their lives either out of preference or circumstance. We are so lucky or cursed ? to have a seemingly endless supply of choice in tobacco. ?☕

Fixed.

My grandparents on mother side stopped smoking after word came through it kills in the '50s, everyone smoked after the war as the never had any in the war. My grandfather on fathers side stopped smoking after having a double stroke, he smoked 40 grams of rolling tobacco a day which amounts for about 40 to 50 cigs. My parents according to my info never smoked (maybe recreational, there '60s and '70s kids after all), but they brought me nice cigars from the DR.

If my kids will ever touch tobacco, who knows they can still get when they reach the smoking age, else they will have to rely on dad's stash. I now deliberately don't smoke around them, but it might be a nice bonding thing when they are grown up.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
Fixed.

My grandparents on mother side stopped smoking after word came through it kills in the '50s, everyone smoked after the war as the never had any in the war. My grandfather on fathers side stopped smoking after having a double stroke, he smoked 40 grams of rolling tobacco a day which amounts for about 40 to 50 cigs. My parents according to my info never smoked (maybe recreational, there '60s and '70s kids after all), but they brought me nice cigars from the DR.

If my kids will ever touch tobacco, who knows they can still get when they reach the smoking age, else they will have to rely on dad's stash. I now deliberately don't smoke around them, but it might be a nice bonding thing when they are grown up.
That's similar to me. I quite pipes and chewing shotly after the kids were born. Now that my son is grown, we enjoy pipes together.

Tar Wheel

Lifer
May 23, 2020
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
My maternal Grandfather (Papaw) smoked unfiltered Camels until he was around 60 yo. He quit the cigs cold turkey and started chewing tobacco. Levi Garrett and Red Man were his preference. He chewed until he reached 85 yo. and quit cold turkey. He was tobacco free the last 2 years of his life. He was the maintenance supervisor at RJR Tobacco Co. in downtown Winston-Salem, N.C., having to work every holiday because that’s when the machines were down and serviceable. I love him and miss him terribly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My paternal grandfather smoked a pipe, and I inherited his pipe rack with amber tobacco jar through my father. Grandpa kept his tobacco in the jar, so I never saw the brand. My dad always smoked Granger from the foil pouch. My maternal grandfather was a cigar smoker, White Owl when he wasn't smoking something more up-market.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
My Grandfather smoked the large tubs of Captain Black (White and Gold) and Sir Walter Raleigh. Strangely, I don’t recall seeing any of the other classic OTCs in his garage…

Reactions: JOHN72

MidnightPuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2020
Ohio
I'm the first pipe smoker in my family to my knowledge. My Grandfather never smoked and my Dad has been a lifelong Newport smoker and my Grandma vapes after being on and off Marlboro lights for years. I just realized how funny it is to say "My Grandma vapes".

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw and JOHN72

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Paternal Grandfather did have a Pipe, although neither I nor my Dad ever seen him smoke it, he liked his White Owl cigars.
Maternal Grandfather didn't smoke a pipe, he was a cigarette guy until his first heart attack.
Maternal Great Grandfather was a smoker of Bond Street, in a pipe shaped like a shoe.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
My paternal grandfather smoked cheap cigars. I never knew my maternal grandfather, but my mom smoked cigarettes (I’m not sure of the brand). I started smoking pipes around 16/17 years old, and my parents did not object.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
We always had some really ancient Prince Albert tins around the house, from my mom's dad. I have no idea if he smoked it, or just had the tins.

My dad's dad smoked cheap cigs. I know this because we have a home video of my dad bummin a smoke from him, and my dad says "dad," he says, "these are cheap."

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Although I know of no pipe smokers in my ancestry, I think that my wife's paternal grandfather smoked a pipe. She remembers him cutting some kind of plug. That's all that I know.