PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
My maternal grandfather, who was my pipe smoking influence, smoked Balkan Sobranie up until his death in 1990 at almost 100. He turned me onto it when I began my pipe career in 1975. He also enjoyed Heine's Blend. Smoked a Grabow, corncob and meerschaum.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I never knew either of my biological grandfathers, fractured family. My step-grandfather smoked Player’s plain unfiltered cigarettes. He loved to give me one when I was a teenager. They were a rough smoke. I tried to never run out of mine around him but it was always, “Have one of mine.” I had a great Uncle who smoked a meerschaum pipe. He was very proud of how it coloured. I can’t remember what tobacco he smoked.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My dad was adopted, but his grandfather "Doc" smoked a pipe. I still have it hanging with his knife and his bank bag he used for a tobacco pouch.

My mom smoked basic lights, and my dad had a pack of camels in one pocket, and Marlboro reds in the other. When I was a kid dad quit drinking and smoking at the same time.

My mom's dad was a meerschaum guy, and only smoked Kentucky Club Aromatic. It was his after dinner desert, as he called it. He also had Grabows, and a cob. But as he said like @cosmicfolklore "I'd never smoke a corn cob in public though".

20141225_163211.jpg

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My great grandfather's smoked pipes, and they took them from New Zealand to Europe for WW1. I have read some of the letters that Hugh sent home from the trenches, and he was asking for some 'Havelock Aromatic' (Australian blend) to be sent over, because the local stuff was no good...a familiar smoke would go a long way in the trenches I imagine.

My wife's Opa has what I worked out to be a pouch of Amphora in his top pocket of his photo's.

Reactions: simong and romaso

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
My Grandfather smoked pipe, I saw it in 84-85 maybe. He lived in Georgia and had own tobacco plants, not so big, but...
So I think it was his own blend or something.
Later in 90es he smoked cigarettes and died from lung cancer. R.I.P.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
My Grandpap smoked Captain Black. He was a very basic (but not ordinary) dude. He had a pipe rack with his 4 pipes and a plastic wood grain jar. I know for birthdays he would be gifted finer tobaccos from my aunts and uncles, but he just preferred the OTC stuff. I suspect he smoked Prince Albert and Half n Half for some time before I came along because up on the basement crossbeam he kept cans of these to hold nails and such. I now have them. He also gnawed on a little Mail Pouch. I still have his last bag of it. His name was Butch and that‘s my avatar picture. I wish I knew what my great uncles smoked but they were pipers, and all lived on the same block as Grandpap, old-world style. The whole neighborhood smoked something. As a kid I would see my grandparents neighbors leaning out the window ashing cigarettes, cigars on the porch, etc. My mom’s father smoked Lucky Strikes but by and by Gram wasn’t having it, so that ended well before I was born. He’d chew some side chew very occasionally, like if we’d go down to the tracks to watch trains.

Attachments

• FA9763D6-5E74-4C93-961B-8A8E84FA525F.jpeg
    FA9763D6-5E74-4C93-961B-8A8E84FA525F.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: romaso

Ragin Cajun

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2021
New iberia, LA
My maternal grandfather smoked cigars, pipes, and ciagarettes, although he had quit smoking by the time i got to know him well. As for pipes, it was probably a Dr Grabow or Yello-Bowl, straight apple or billiard. I don't know what tobaccos he smoked, but it was probably Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Half & Half, or whatever was available at Plattesmeier's Grocery Store in Rayne, LA in the 40's & 50's.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Paternal Grandfather smoked Camel unfiltered and other tobacco products, Maternal Grandfather did not smoke. My Pop on the other hand smoked SWR, or Prince Albert in the 1.5 oz tin in a Kaywoodie or a Doctor Grabow, and Pall Mall no filter cigarettes non stop. God Bless His Heart.

sherlockRoy

Lurker
Jan 20, 2021
Arroyo Grande, CA
Great question, great thread! Gramps smoked White Owl cigars, and my Dad (born 1902) liked Bowl of Roses, Half & Half, and Paladin over the years. Funny though, how many of ya have gotten "oh, my grandfather smoked a pipe" thru the years when somebody sees you with your pipe. If I had a dollar for every time...

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Paternal Grandfather Smoked A Paul's Cayuga with Edgeworth Slices.
This is a drawing he was presented At his retirement from A.C. In all the years he worked no one ever could recall seeing him without a pipe clenched in his teeth.
Was your grandfather from the Flint area?

I have a cayuga from Paul's Pipe Shop, which is still open.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I wish I knew. I wish he were here for me to ask him.
Same. My paternal grandfather smoked a pipe and was from Saginaw, so it's possible he had a cayuga pipe from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint.

However, if I had chance to speak or have dinner with anyone, it would be my father (if only but 5 minutes). He never got to see my career launch or his only granddaughter. Although we were not especially close, I miss him every day.

Komier65

Lurker
Jun 25, 2021
Battle Creek Michigan
Paternal Grandfather Smoked A Paul's Cayuga with Edgeworth Slices.
This is a drawing he was presented At his retirement from A.C. In all the years he worked no one ever could recall seeing him without a pipe clenched in his teeth.
Was your grandfather from the Flint area?

I have a cayuga from Paul's Pipe Shop, which is still open.
He was from Flint started at AC when the doors opened in the experimental and modeling department. I have memories of walking to Pauls with him from our eastside Flint home. Now I drive every Saturday to have a smoke there and a chat with great people. My vote for the best old time Pipe shop in the country.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Maybe my grandfather was friends with Solideogloria86's grandfather... same answer!

Sir Walter Raleigh day to day.
Some Cherry blends on occasion.
Always in a Grabow.

My father once bought him a Dunhill but he just put it on his bookshelf... said it was too nice to smoke.

My father also bought him some good English blends, but he didn't like those either,