Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
My wife says my hobby is collecting hobbies... Guitars/tube amps- building, repairing, restoring, and even occasionally playing. Gunsmithing, mostly antique shotguns. Motorcycles (former HD master tech) building and restoring mostly vintage Japanese and British. General antique resto and repair. Antique tools collecting, repairing, using. I've also built a fair bit of specialized tooling for guitar makers and pipe carvers. Cast iron collecting/restoring.

Here's my homemade Tele made from a single piece of maple (not a kit) and my 68 Bassman (drip edge missing and the cab is a 74) 6 (2).jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
My wife says my hobby is collecting hobbies... Guitars/tube amps- building, repairing, restoring, and even occasionally playing. Gunsmithing, mostly antique shotguns. Motorcycles (former HD master tech) building and restoring mostly vintage Japanese and British. General antique resto and repair. Antique tools collecting, repairing, using. I've also built a fair bit of specialized tooling for guitar makers and pipe carvers. Cast iron collecting/restoring.

Here's my homemade Tele made from a single piece of maple (not a kit) and my 68 Bassman (drip edge missing and the cab is a 74) View attachment 184393
The neck and body are one continuous piece of wood?

Reactions: Latakia Dave
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
No, its a bolt on neck. They were carved from the same piece.
Ah, okay—that makes a lot more sense. The idea of a single continuous piece had my head spinning, thinking about warping and how did he get a truss rod in there, etc.

A late ex of mine was really into cast iron; I remember the lye bath soaks for Griswold (and sub brands like Erie and Iron Mountain) and other brands all too well—she had a lot of great stuff.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho

Here's my homemade Tele made from a single piece of maple (not a kit) and my 68 Bassman (drip edge missing and the cab is a 74) View attachment 184393
Sweet ride there brother. Love the tele , like the J bass lots of versatility depending on pick up switch and right hand placement. I feel the same way about collecting hobbies but it rounds us out and I feel they inform each other to improve our skills all around. You ever get into Ural's ? they are the best of both world's 4x4 and Motorcycles.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Sweet ride there brother. Love the tele , like the J bass lots of versatility depending on pick up switch and right hand placement. I feel the same way about collecting hobbies but it rounds us out and I feel they inform each other to improve our skills all around. You ever get into Ural's ? they are the best of both world's 4x4 and Motorcycles.
Thanks, I also have a 74 J bass I inherited. I have never worked on a Ural but I have ridden one and I have often lusted after a 3X3 Ural. There's actually a Ural importer down the road from me.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I don’t really consider pipe smoking a hobby I just figured it was better for me than cigarettes so I made the switch a few years back. I like spending time outside, playing chess, reading, playing guitar, and writing/recording songs.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
A - I brew beer and drink that mostly. I also enjoy single malt scotch.
T - Pipes only.
F - Hunting, target shooting (mostly pistol) and reloading.

Fishing (including boating, clamming, and crabbing)
Mycology (mushroom hunting)
Motorcycling (lifetime rider)
Drumming (active cover band)
Guitar
Didgeridoo
Cooking and especially smoking meats
Knife collecting and sharpening
Reading
Gardening
Herpetology (mostly snakes)

That's the main stuff anyway. I'm retired and like to keep busy.