PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I collect Modern First Edition books, art books, LPs and CDs (mostly jazz, Punk and New Wave, but, not limited to those genres), original Japanese Jidaigeki (samurai) movie posters; I’m into high-end audio (both stereo and headphone systems), play table tennis regularly, enjoy craft beer, whisky, Vintage Port, and Madeira; I also love cigars, roasting my own coffee, building and shooting pistols (though it’s been ages since going to a range). Also into movies, collecting toys—I’m into all sorts of stuff, too much, probably.
Amazing. We have a lot in common! puffy

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I don’t know whether or not I replied to this thread already. But aside from pipe smoking my other hobbies / interests are (in no particular order):
  • Traditional wet shaving
  • Philosophy
  • Freemasonry
  • HiFi audio / music
  • Visiting musea
  • Writing (in my diary)
  • Politics
  • Reading
  • Japanese martial arts (Aikido / Iaido / Jodo / Kendo / Kyudo)

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Most of the corn grown where I grew up in NE was for livestock but the 2 rows nearest the road were almost always phenomenal sweet corn that was free for the taking as long as you asked first.

If you learned how to can/jar starvation was a virtual impossibility. Other veggies easily/readily grew in the back yard garden.
What part of NE? I was born and lived in Omaha (Chalco) for most of my youngin yrs and been in Grand Island Since the early 90's.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I really have cut back in recent years. Before pipes sort of subsumed me I collected signed 1st editions of favorite Sc-Fi and fantasy writers, like Ellison, Asimov, Farmer, Heinlein, Bradbury, Le Guin, etc, etc

I also collected some fairly rare Art and architecture books, like a 1st edition of The Metropolis Of Tomorrow by Hugh Ferriss, and Facing East, among other interesting items.

I also collected Arts and Crafts metalware and furniture.

Cooking was a hobby until I got too busy to put much time into it.

Walking, hiking, sneaking into forbidden areas, reading Mysteries, Histories, crap.

Before I was 11 I had read, in translation of course, Aristotle, Plato, Herodotus, Lao Tsu, Machiavelli, Vasari, all of Dostoyevsky, most of Pushkin, Gogol, some Sartre, etc, you know, light weight stuff. When I hit puberty I dumped all that crap and went for comic books and later, girls.

I did some inept writing, played the piano - occasionally for money, practiced photography and was a stringer for the Los Angeles Arts Council, etc. I guess some of this doesn't count since I did get paid for it.

I do art for a living, so it doesn't really qualify as a hobby.

Classic films, a fair amount of silent films. Everyone knows that sound is a fad.

Politics isn't a hobby, it's a blood sport. And almost entirely bullshit.

Otherwise, not much