PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am glad for this thread. I am looking for that strong tobacco every once in awhile. Not my usual desire, but it happens. I've found Black Shag from the 221-B series by McClelland can make me spin every once in awhile, although I didn't think it was intended to be too strong. I've added this topic to my favorites for future reference. Thanks all.

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
Forgetting about ropes and plugs temporarily, as that is not everyone's cup 'o tea:
Since Royal Yacht has been mentioned multiple times, I'll say that GL Pease's Cairo delivers much more nicotine for me than RY (I just went through 2-3 tins of RY, with Cairo on the shelf and in the rotation, too, for a very recent comparison). In fact, I consider Cairo to be a stronger RY, not just in nic, but flavor as well. To me, RY is a faux-VaPer - a Va based blend with a little spice (dark fired in there?) and a perique like flavoring.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
RY is a faux-VaPer - a Va based blend with a little spice (dark fired in there?) and a perique like flavoring.
I'm not a huge RY aficionado like some in this thread, but to my limited acquaintance with it, the casing on it was not spicy like perique, rather more like fig newtons or sunrise raisons.
For nicotine, I love SG Brown No.4 -- I will often add it to other blends; Irish Flake and Mac Baren's ODF and Bold Kentucky are delicious but more high-medium to me.

piperray

Lurker
Dec 27, 2016
I would say Irish Flake, 5 brothers, Salty Dogs and Big'n' Burley. Smoked aged(Murray's) Royal Yacht and Elizabethean and those were strong. Personally I ike blends with decent nicotine hit.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I've been out for a while, so I missed this.
GH Dark Birdseye

The GH and SG Brown Ropes are all delicious

1792 Flake

GH Dark Flake

HH Bold Kentucky (A new favorite)

CD Burley Flake #1

Different varieties of Mapacho

Royal Yacht
I know I'm forgetting some, but those are at the top of my list. As "genres" go, the high-nic, non-aromatic, non-latakia blends are generally my favorite.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find G&H dark flake unscented to have more nicotine then any of the G&H ropes I've tried. Also C&D Billy budd has a good nic hit, and if you enjoyed maduro cigars there's maduro leaf in it. Nightcap used to be a nic bomb when murray's blended it, but the new version I would not call a nic bomb at all.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Being a converted RYO smoker, I like very strong blends. In the morning I usually smoke GH Happy Bogie and my evening smoke is GH Dark Plug. During the day I smoke GH Dark Bird Eye.

The only thing that almost gives me spins is SG Bracken Flake. I believe, it's the strongest of all.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
The only Pipe Tobacco that I have ever smoked that got the room spinning was OJK. Love the taste but if I'm not careful it can knock me on my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.