23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trick to absorbing more nicotine is to smoke slower. Keep the bowl smoldering on the verge of going out. Do NOT puff, just allow the smoke to drift in and out of your mouth, allow the smoke to swirl around your tongue, and don't blow it out, just sort of let it leave on its own. The slower you smoke, the more you'll absorb from any blend.

But, if you puff, puff like a cigar, you're just playing, wasting the glorious nicotine. You're not going to really get anything out of the process except looking stylish with your smokey looking pipe and wasting your money.

Watch old movies, go to smoking lounges, guys who smoke pipes hardly give off any smoke at all. Its about savoring the smoke as slow as possible, for as long as possible.
Maybe that will help.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I dipped & chewed for pretty much 25 years."
Please excuse my ignorance Jmagen but what is the difference twixt dipping and chewing?
A relatively newcomer to pipe smoking (15 months) from the UK needs to know :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
wasting the glorious nicotine
An error and sin, if you ask me. Yes: let suction draw in the smoke, do not bother to puff. Let it hang out for a while. And keep it coming, like beers at a bar when the local team is losing. Soon you will find yourself in the clarity of mind bestowed by Nicotine.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Dip = Skoal, Copenhagen or some of the snus products.

Chew = Redman, Beachnut, DaysWork(plug) or any plug you desire to cut a chunk and chew on it and spit.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This is the best thread ever.
Did someone mention Royal Yacht? The high-Nic, high-flavor tobacco you can smoke every day, all day, and still rediscover with joy.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Reading this list of smokes considered "strong" put this little tune into my head:
"These are a few of my favorite things ... " :puffy:

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
Mawnansmiff: phxrock is right on... dip/snuff is finer cut, chew is more like shredded leaves. dip=much more nicotine, chew= much more flavor/spitting.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I'm thinking I must have a very high tolerance for nic beccause I smoked strong cigars for years and with a pipe have smoked plenty of Royal Yacht and Nightcap, both reputed to be nic bombs, and never felt anything. Been considering trying some Brown #4 and 5 Brothers just to see if I get a kick, but so far reports of the taste of those have kept me away.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Any of the GH&Co ropes, Dark Flake scented, Dark Bird's Eye, Coniston Cut Plug, Kendal Kentucky, Warrior Plug, Old Joe Krantz, Condor Plug Royal Yacht and sometimes Cotton Boll.... I'm sure there are a lot of others that just aren't coming to mind at the moment.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The biggest nic hit I've ever gotten was from a large bowl of Irish Oak. Ropes for some reason don't come close.

Hmmmm... I've never thought this one to be a heavy nic blend. I love it for sure but don't get the nicotine like I would from a brown rope.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
a lovely smoke
Emphatically agreed.
It seems higher than average to me in Nicotine. TobaccoReviews uses a scale of Mild, Mild-to-Medium, Medium, Medium-to-Strong, Strong, Very Strong, Extremely Strong, and Overwhelming. I would rank RY as Strong, your average GH rope as Very Strong or Extremely Strong, and the power Burleys as Overwhelming, but I am sure it is not that simple.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
TobaccoReviews doesn't have a search-by-strength field that I could find. They rate GH Brown #4 and 5 Brothers as merely Strong. What are names of some power Burleys you would call Overwhelming (and are any of them halfway tolerable in the taste department?) I'm really curious to see if I can feel the nic from any pipe tobacco, as I never have thus far.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hmmmm... I've never thought this one to be a heavy nic blend. I love it for sure but don't get the nicotine like I would from a brown rope.
Now ropes have little to no effect on me. :|

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
I don't smoke nic bombs all that often. Have a jar of S.G. 1792 on the shelf when I want it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What are names of some power Burleys you would call Overwhelming (and are any of them halfway tolerable in the taste department?)
I suppose Cotton Boll Twist, Dark Burley, and Five Brothers ought to be mentioned first.
Then Burley Flake #1, Brown Irish X, Dark Kentucky and Tambolaka.
Also, here is a quick link for finding all Strong, Very Strong, Extremely Strong and Overwhelming blends on TR.

Status
Not open for further replies.