PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks @deathmetal! So after doing some research I have decided to check out a couple nic bombs. One I'm definitely going to try is Peterson's Irish Flake. It's been around for years and I don't know why I have never tried it before. The other one I'm thinking about is GH Happy Brown Bogie. From reviews it seems like it has the virtually the same nic as Brown #4 but is less harsh in the taste department. I'm looking for high nic but I'm not a masochist. I still want to enjoy the smoke.
Another one I read about with interest is GH Sweet Maple Twist. Has anyone tried these?

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I usually crave Royal Yacht when I need something stronger.
Five brothers is on my list of things to try.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Irish Flake is an amazing blend. I love it, and while it has some strength it isn't a big head spinner for me.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Another vote for 1792! Amazing blend. Also like Brown Irish x/Brown Bogie/Coconut Twist/ Maple twist.

None of them are big head spinners or hiccup blends for me, I have quite the nicotine tolerance --- but I do get that pleasant spacey/throat tightening feeling from them.
Another one I read about with interest is GH Sweet Maple Twist. Has anyone tried these?

Yes Shutterbug, I like the Maple twist, but the coconut twist is even better in my opinion. It didn't sound good in the least to me for a long time, a "tropical" tobacco". But I finally tried it and the flavor in the smoke is slightly sweet, full bodied and tasty.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
One I'm definitely going to try is Peterson's Irish Flake. It's been around for years and I don't know why I have never tried it before.
I really love this blend. It is anise-heavy and might have a bit of goop to it, so it is best to let it dry a little, but it smokes long and lovely with rich flavor.
The other one I'm thinking about is GH Happy Brown Bogie.
Also a wonderful blend. I buy the sliced version, called (appropriately) Brown Twist Sliced and it is currently consumed by mixing in a little Dark Burley to absorb moisture and broaden the flavor. It is a Virginia without the acidic sugar sensations, which also makes it an encouraging all-day smoke.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks for the HU about the anise in PIF. I hadn't read about that. Anise/licorice is one of the few flavors I can't stand, so looks like that one's off my shopping list.
Thanks also for answering my next question, which was going to be if there was any appreciable taste or nic difference between Happy Bogie and Brown Twist Sliced. They're the same bulk prices, so I'd rather have less fuss to do.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Jackknife plug and royal yacht are the only 2 "bombs" in my regular rotation. Neither of them ever makes me reel, but I have a high tolerance that I earned from smoking 2 packs of cigs a day for almost 15 years.
Personally, I recommend JKP to everyone. Come for the punch, stay for the flavor. Excellent smoke all around

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I don't think Nightcap is as much of a nic bomb as it's said to be, although my tolerance is apparently pretty high after years of smoking double-maduro cigars. I've actually taken a break from NC, smoking a lot of The Aperitif these days. Not as high in nic but really awesome flavor. Very similar to MM965 but smoother and less Lat-forward lets the orientals and unflavored brown cavendish shine. Wife actually complimented the room-note, something she definitely never did with Nightcap :D

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm thinking I must have a very high tolerance for nic beccause I smoked strong cigars for years and with a pipe have smoked plenty of Royal Yacht and Nightcap, both reputed to be nic bombs, and never felt anything. Been considering trying some Brown #4 and 5 Brothers just to see if I get a kick, but so far reports of the taste of those have kept me away.

I would skip those two that ya mentioned and go for Cotton Boll. That is hands down the strongest stuff I've smoked but I still don't get a buzz from it, I am acclimated to high levels of nicotine as I am also a Copenhagen dipper and have been for a very long time. I enjoy these stronger blends of tobacco because they satisfy my cravings and I hope to quit dipping all together.

Feb 13, 2015
Is there somewhere online that you can buy Cotton Boll Twist (as pipe tobacco)? I'd always thought of it, when I saw it in stores as a kid, as a twist chewing tobacco but I suppose, like the G&H twists historically did, it can do double duty.

Jul 12, 2011
G. L. Pease: JackKnife Plug

Peterson: Irish Flake

Samuel Gawith: 1792

Samuel Gawith - Bracken Flake ( speaking of Bracken, have some that should be outstanding by now has at least 10yrs on it, need to get to work and smoke with morning cup of coffee )

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
As a long time tobacco user in various forms, I don't really get a nic hit from pipe tobacco. But a few blends that showcase some detectable nicotine, at least for me, are C&D's Exhausted Rooster, Low Country's Waccamaw, Irish Flake,and to a lesser extent GL Pease's Fillmore and Cumberland, and Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd. The advice earlier about slow sipping and letting the smoke caress your mouth is dead-on for savoring and experiencing the vitamin N from any blend. But takes many years of pipe smoking to get the hang of. And that's part of what makes pipe smoking the pinnacle of tobacco enthusiasm: the pursuit of pure flavor that brings nicotine as simply a part of the overall experience rather than as a brief but intense "hit". (Too bad I remain addicted to the hit. But the good news for those fellow addicts out there is that the two experiences are NOT mutually exclusive.)

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Rattray's Stirling Flake is another good one. Also recently tried Warrior Plug which is respectable in the nic department and darn tasty too.

Status
Not open for further replies.