PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A pretty sobering documentary, somehow I missed this (released in 2018). My father was a US Army SGM in an infantry unit and did a tour in Vietnam (when he was 50 years old). I wish he were still with us to talk about his experiences (he wasn't one to share much).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just finished "Andor" season 1 Star Wars series. Outstanding! 5+ out of 5
The latest series based on the Star Wars on Disney+.
I'm very impressed with how Disney has taken these series to another level. Great stories with depth of character and fine story telling. Highly recommend for any Star Wars or sci-fi fans.
I really enjoyed Andor in a way that I did not enjoy Obi Wan Kenobi, which felt too serious and reverential. After a couple of episodes I dropped it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

5/5

Sad to think most younger people have never seen it...and a lot of older people may not have either, or else forgotten it.

A good general portrayal of how DC and the corporate media operate, and what they think of us plebs who are "not in the club" as Carlin put it.

The only thing that's changed since then is it's much, much worse now (and no happy ending in real life of course).

• Love
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
jeff-dahmer-netflix~2.jpg

Netflix - I rate it 5/5. Even though I remember the Dahmer story in the newspapers and the TV news, I found this very disturbing. I almost didn't watch it thinking I already new all about the Dahmer case.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
We just finished watching Dark on Netflix last night. I would describe it as a grim version of Back to the Future meets It's a Wonderful Life—you might need a flowchart to keep track of all the characters. It's not without humour and plays within and outside worn out tropes. We enjoyed it quite a bit. 4/5, maybe even 4.5/5.

Reactions: scloyd

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Been watching some offerings on HBO Max.
Watched the first season of White Lotus - lots of T & A, but not much else. By far the most interesting part of the series is the musical score, which is really terrific. The rest Meh. 3 out of 5. 5 for the score, 1 for the rest of it. If you're going to be clever, be clever.

House Of The Dragon - Yikes! What a dull thudding mess, complete with rubberized stags. Who could ask for less.
1 out of 5, but only because I'm being charitable.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Watching Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities these days. It is well made but a bit hit and miss. Short stories, usually with a bad ending. Very Lovecraftian, ep 6 "Pickman's Model" is the best so far in my opinion, really captures HP Lovecraft's story and expands on it.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Started watching Columbo, currently streaming on Peacock or Tubi for free w/ads. Late to the game for sure, but it was on before I was born. Finished watching ER and needed a "new" show to watch. Loving it so far, easy to see why this show is so acclaimed. Binged two seasons this week. 5/5
Peter Falk was so awesome in that role.

Reactions: GatorElGato
Jun 9, 2018
England
Started watching Columbo, currently streaming on Peacock or Tubi for free w/ads. Late to the game for sure, but it was on before I was born. Finished watching ER and needed a "new" show to watch. Loving it so far, easy to see why this show is so acclaimed. Binged two seasons this week. 5/5
The 1970's episodes were my favourites. A real who's who of famous actors from that decade. Peter Falk's favourite episode was "Any Old Port in a Storm" which guest starred Donald Pleasence. It's my favourite too.

Reactions: GatorElGato
Jun 9, 2018
England
1980's British sitcom "Ever Decreasing Circles" on NOW TV. Ricky Gervais is a big fan and said if the BBC would agree to repeat it he'd waive the repeat fees for The Office. As far as I know they didn't take him up on the offer.

5/5

Watching Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities these days. It is well made but a bit hit and miss. Short stories, usually with a bad ending. Very Lovecraftian, ep 6 "Pickman's Model" is the best so far in my opinion, really captures HP Lovecraft's story and expands on it.
We tried to watch the Cabinet of Curiosities also, but was way too gross for Mrs Cosmic.

Status
Not open for further replies.