PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Been stuck at home and decided to run through the black and white seasons of "The Saint". Read a few of the books/stories years ago and when I was a kid it was one of those shows seen in syndication on a weekend afternoon and barely remember it. I enjoy it, probably more nostalgia than anything, and since they are a little hit or miss, 4/5*.

Image 1.jpeg

Reactions: Zero and scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Are there any fans of Mr Monk out there? For those of you who are, and those of you who are and have the Peacock streaming service, you will be pleased to hear that there is a new Mr. Monk feature length episode entitled Mr. Monk's Last Case: A Monk Movie. It stars most of the original cast, we have Natalie, but not Sharona, and it's a classic Monk murder mystery. As a member of the Academy of television Arts and Sciences I received an invitation to a screening on the Academy's site, thoroughly enjoyed watching it and can wholeheartedly recommend it to Monk enthusiasts!

It will be streaming December 8th on Peacock
Thanks for posting. Always enjoyed Monk. I might have to sign up for Peacock for a month. I already have two streaming services... don't need another.

Reactions: Zero

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One of the best movies I've seen in recent memory. Set at Christmas, but not a traditional Christmas movie. Paul Giamatti is incredible (so 5/5). He also smokes a pipe in many scenes, indoor and out. Either he smokes a pipe, or someone spent some time to show him how to properly smoke one. He holds his billiard the same way many of us do, with one curled finger. The pipe has no identifying marks, too bad,they missed an opportunity to further define the character. The sound track is also terrific. Definitely watch this movie.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 08.14.47.pngScreenshot 2023-12-02 08.17.06.pngScreenshot 2023-12-02 08.17.58.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
RE: The Holdovers. I'd give it 5/5 even though seen just trailers and read reviews like Al's. Just waiting for Apple to drop the rental price from $20.00!

H

HRPufnstuf

Watched "Creature" on Netflix this week, an eight part Turkish adaptation of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Much truer to the psychological torment that Shelley's novel examines, it makes cursory acknowledgement of the "science" but does not sensationalize it or use it as a crutch.

I thoroughly enjoyed the series; I wrote several papers on Frankenstein in University examining the morality of science for science's sake and the dehumanizing effect it has on individuals and society. The production was definitely culturally influenced, and that made it feel unfamiliar. Production, directorial, and acting styles from Turkey have different emphasis and implementation than "Western" works of film. They did not detract from the core moral issues of Shelley's novel but added a more "theatrical" atmosphere to this interpretation of her work.

It was subbed, not dubbed; I prefer that.

I would rate it at 3.5/5 whereas I would rate Kenneth Branaugh's "Frankenstein" 3/5. Shelley's intended thematic purpose is much more the basis of this work.

Reactions: mingc and ssjones

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
1st episode of Season 3 - Slow Horses. 5/5 again. Gary Oldham, nails this character, but the rest of the cast are interesting, and it's well written. (as are the books)

• Love
Reactions: jpmcwjr

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Watched “The Holdovers” last night. For a bit it seemed like it was going to be “The Breakfast Club” circa 1970 but ….. it got past that fairly quickly and to my relief (maybe that was kind of intended and if so, clever). It was good, very well written (mostly), the style of filming was intentional and really cool, scenes/sets inside and out were great, acting solid, some of the lesser “twists” were interesting. The ending I think most will have figured out before a final meeting resolves (and it had to end that way and okay by me) but …… the part that rang really hollow was the weak and not believable explanation for why the issue causing conflict at the end was such a big deal (don’t want to spoil it). I thought not enough thought went into a sort of tidy and convenient reason for “outrage” at the end. The whole big scene at the end with Giamatti was the weakest part of the movie, IMO. So for that abject laziness, 4.5/5*. Giamatti does wield his pipe like a pro!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and ssjones

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great cast in this ones helps out the movie. 3.5/5 The book was better but movie different enough to hold my interest. Julia Roberts getting old does not feel good...

1702339006748.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
One of the best movies I've seen in recent memory. Set at Christmas, but not a traditional Christmas movie. Paul Giamatti is incredible (so 5/5). He also smokes a pipe in many scenes, indoor and out. Either he smokes a pipe, or someone spent some time to show him how to properly smoke one. He holds his billiard the same way many of us do, with one curled finger. The pipe has no identifying marks, too bad,they missed an opportunity to further define the character. The sound track is also terrific. Definitely watch this movie.

View attachment 266200View attachment 266201View attachment 266202
Agree. It is a great movie. And PG's performance should get him the award barring any surprises coming out in the meantime

Reactions: ssjones

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Season 2 of “Reacher” has dropped - cruised through the first three episodes tonight. For what it is 4/5*

Pretty decent Terminator reference I had to explain to the missus, gratuitous violence, but still the G rated romantic bits, lol.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I recorded the old Death Valley Days series that was rerun on a cable channel. They were filmed in black and white in the early 50s. Two that I watched this evening were filmed in 1953. The Old Ranger, who introduces each story is generally smoking a pipe, a full bent usally. He smokes different pipes as he introduces different episodes. Maybe they weren't just props? There were plenty of pipe smokers in the episodes also. Of course I couldn't see any identifying marks on the pipes, but one appeared to be either a Peterson system or a Wellington.
Made me realize how much I miss seeing people smoke pipes on TV and the movies.
Rated 4 / 5 for nostalgia and wholesome entertainment.

Reactions: scloyd and ssjones

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tis the season for some great television, and I have been enjoying the Holiday offerings on the Criterion Channel, especially the MGM Musicals collection, featuring some of their greatest films like An American In Paris, The band Wagon, The Pirate, The Harvey Girls, and others. Gene Kelley, Fred Astaire, Leslie Caron, Oscar Levant, Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, how can you go wrong?
But if your taste runs more to the grittier side of things the Criterion Collection also has Holiday Noir, with a healthy helping of visceral brutal violence, killing, butchery, all the things to gladden any scrooge's black heart.

On Britbox there's a new Sister Boniface special among other delights.

Reactions: scloyd

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Tonight I watched Christmas Holiday (1944)
1702703983054.png
3/5*

and

The Night Runner (1957)
1702704372369.png
3.5/5*

Watched both on YouTube.

Status
Not open for further replies.