PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Just watched Maestro on Netflix. I'll just say that as a teen I used to love Leonard Bernstein's young peoples concerts on TV.I grew up with his music and conducting and always loved every minute of it. This movie was quite revealing to me because it was more about him as a person, his wife and family more than the music. Yes there is some music in the movie but it is so much more than that. Beautiful filming, part in B&W, most in the aspect ratio of old CRT tv screens, making it very realistic as far as I was concerned. Because that is the way most people saw him, on the tv, not in movies, and lucky if in person at a concert. The acting was top notch, Bradley Cooper as Bernstein and especially for me, Carey Mulligan as his wife. You'll have to draw your own conclusions if this is something you like, but for me it was wonderful and gut wrenching all at the same time. Enough spoilers for now... 5/5

Reactions: Bengel and jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last night I watched a wonderful 2 hour documentary on PBS America called 'Remember The Sultana' about a steam paddle boat which exploded and sank in the Mississippi in 1865 killing 1,167 souls, mostly Union soldiers. Apparently it was and still is the worst maritime disaster in US history!

As the story unfolds, it is clear that a mixture of greed & meanness were the major factors for the vessel's demise.

All in, a full on 5/5 for this fascinating snippet of US history.

sultana.jpg

Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and scloyd

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"No Offense"! If you enjoy watching a bunch of incompetent UK coppers in action, this is the series for you. They seem to solve cases in spite of themselves. I believe the writers work mostly with their tongues in the cheek.

I still give it 4-5 of 5 for execution and head shaking entertainment.

Reactions: VDL_Piper

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I’m working through Slow Horses at the moment and really enjoying Gary Oldman’s performance. I do however want to grab him and give the grubby bugger a good bath 🤣
Rating is 5
CA1585E1-CD99-429C-AA2F-20921A808271.jpeg
Another good series I’ve just recently started is Blue Lights (Police drama set in Ireland) which is on SBS Australia, very good series if you can track it down. 4.5/5
429CCD97-57B4-47D3-A677-387171961C36.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Final flick of the year... Hunter Killer (2018) on Netflix.

Pretty generic submarine political espionage thriller starring Gerard Butler. Slow paced. Decent plot. Action scenes were done well. Pretty good, but not great. If you enjoy sub movies, it's definitely worth a watch. (4/5*)

Reactions: VDL_Piper
Status
Not open for further replies.