PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
The Adam Project. It’s about time-traveling fighter pilot who teams up with his 12-year-old self on a mission to save the future. Typical Ryan Reynolds’ witty humor. It’s OK. A couple laughs… 3/5.

1647179247670.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Adam Project. It’s about time-traveling fighter pilot who teams up with his 12-year-old self on a mission to save the future. Typical Ryan Reynolds’ witty humor. It’s OK. A couple laughs… 3/5.
Ah, thanks, just started- in about 8 minutes, and thanks to your rating, I am done! From what I've seen, agree with the 3/5.

Reactions: STP

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last night I started watching 'The Cabin In The Woods'.....gave up after 30 minutes.....absolute crap.

Then I started watching 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'. This was so whacky and daft but I struggled through it.

Sean Connery is matched up with Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, Dorian Grey, Doctor Jekyll (along with Mr. Hyde who looks like a cross twixt Incredible Hulk & Arnold Schwarzenegger on steroids) & other literary characters in a totally mad escapade to save the world from some nutter that wants to start a world war (where are these people when the world really needs them, like now?).

Though set in 1899 London we still have Hollywood's fingerprints all over the film....massive automatic firearms :rolleyes:, huge explosions....yawn, and everything & anything else that Hollywood has in its armoury of cinematic madness.

A welcome break from the realities of life it was quite entertaining, but never again.

I'll be generous here and award it 5.5/10.

Regards,

Jay.

Outlander... I know, I know... chick series. But, I read anything and everything. A few years back I plowed through the books in a weekend, and I was intrigued with the history in the novels. It was the first time I had heard of Jacobites, or it's relation to the settling of North Carolina, and then the US Revolution... so I was intrigued.
The series is very well produced, written and cast... although I am not a fan of whom they cast as Jamie. I had never imagined him as a body builder type, but IO guess they want to appeal to the female viewers. But, I give it a 5/5 with a warning that it is very chicky.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree on the chick aspect. My lady read the books as well, and there is some interesting historical stuff.
But Jack Reacher uh, Jamie was cast for cheesecake to appeal to females.
I'd go 3.5/5 on that one. More if I had read the books perhaps.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Wrapped up the fourth season of Star Trek: Discovery.

Probably the worst of the four seasons. The story started strong but very much fell flat over the course of the 13 episode arc. The season finale was less than spectacular. Instead of giving me a sense of closure, it left me wondering how much am I really invested in this series and will I continue to watch it? (2/5*)

Reactions: RobNYC and jpmcwjr

Pipesandstuff

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2021
Orlando, Fl
We've been watching the Gemstones. I usually would avoid anything that I thought was being sacrilegious, but the humor makes fun of TV Evangelists more than religion itself. It's funny, but this season is getting even weirder. The comedy is really mixed. I can tell that they have at least four good writers (or they're letting the comedian actors participate in the writing) with different styles of humor. Very funny, but it might touch some nerves for the true believers not yet disillusioned by the fake TV evangelists. 4/5 -with a warning for fanatics.
View attachment 125606
The humor is definitely messy, the tone is hard to pin down, but I love this show

Status
Not open for further replies.