weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011

Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Black Irish X in a Meer...​

yMjMjKn.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am half way through this bowl of Sutliff English Oriental #400341 in a full bend black pebble finish 2001 Rinaldo Lithos YY8 Titania Silver Line egg with a tapered black acrylic stem. Larry's El Salvador Dali, neat, is my drink. Watching the BBC.
Rinaldo Lithos YY8 Titania Silver Line egg.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Just finished (well, except for some dottle) a bowl of Epiphany in The Sacrificial Cob. The damn thing just keeps trying to burn out further despite my attempt to seal up the gap and build up protective cake by careful smoking, so I'm gonna throw it away.
Use some fireplace mortar to line it instead of tossing it.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Use some fireplace mortar to line it instead of tossing it.

I won’t use fireplace mortar in pipes. The cement industry uses a hell of a mix to produce such special mortar.

On the government site Research on the Thermal Properties of Fireplace Concrete Materials Containing Various Mineral Aggregates Enriched by Organic and Inorganic Fibers - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7918858/
you can get a clue of the complexity of their recipes: „The properties of concrete materials with rubber waste particles were also studied [17]. In the literature review, studies on the thermal properties of concretes and mortars containing recycled glass as fine aggregates [18] and reinforced concretes containing steel, plastic, and glass fibers [19] were found. Concrete is a multi-phase and complex system.“

The other point is the price of a bag of fireplace mortar, it’s quite expensive. Better to get some plaster of Paris it’s cheap, activated charcoal (maybe any charcoal will do) grinded to fine powder and salt. 2 parts plaster, 1 part coal, 1part salt mixed with some water will do the job. With plaster of Paris you could also repair cracked meerschaum inlays, as I recently did. Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.