PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Finished the packet of Condor Ready Rubbed now; I think I've still got a lot of pipeweed to smoke in 2 weeks. The tin of Charlatan First Bowl is still almost full and I've got a packet of Captain Black Original that's just had a couple of bowls out of it - and I've only got 2 weeks to smoke it all...
Don't want any pipeweed around during my month long abstinence:)
@Chasing Embers says I'll easily smoke it all by the end of the month!
Not going in any shops that sell pipe baccy next month; now I'm doing my shopping online with Iceland (who don't sell tobacco) this is less of a problem:)
Main concern is if I've still got some pipe baccy left at the end of this month. I'll have to visit all my favourite clay pipe smoking spots (Cromford, Old Brampton & the Wellington Monument) as well as taking a clay pipe and baccy when I go for a pint...
The Clay King 👑 needs all the support he can get:)
Need to go on a pipeweed marathon this month:)
I'll be taking my clay and leaf when I go to the Derbyshire Woodland Festival this weekend if it's still going ahead.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
My preference is for the Sutliff match. This was blended to replicate the old Murray’s version and not the currently produced stuff. @JimInks knows a good bit about the Murray version and can share his insights.
Thanks, I'm digging into the reviews now! I've got a bad habit of thinking of match blends as "second-class citizens", albeit sometimes very good ones... ;)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am half way through this bowl of first release Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Larry's El Salvador Dali, neat, is my drink. Watching the Pirates-Reds game.
4AB_Nat_right.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
This 1906 H&J Meerschaum arrived this morning, the stem is a little loose but a little gossamer tape fixed that up in a jiffy. Haven’t had time to find out who H & J are yet but if anyone knows I’d appreciate it.
This stood out because it has a shield on the bottom of the bowl as well as a good colouring. First smoke will be Plum Cake. View attachment 169147View attachment 169149
H&J? Heckle and Jeckle.rotfnnnnnnnn

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have to apologize for the poor lighting on this picture. One of the bulbs in my living room had burned out, and taking this picture was higher priority in my mind. ;)

bbr_cube_cut_capstan_914.jpg

I cube-cut a flake (Capstan Blue) for the first time! The flakes are still very fresh and pliable, so snipping them in a controlled manner was pretty easy. (The first two YouTube videos I found on the subject used fairly dry flakes that appeared to shatter when cut.)

I cubed enough flake to gravity-fill the bowl of my Big Ben Ranger at about 8 this morning, and set it aside to dry. About 6 hours later, I fired it up. As expected, it took a few tries to get the top layer of cubes going, but now it's rolling nicely. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it does seem more flavorful and less bitey than when I rubbed it out completely yesterday. One thing I've noticed about my hobbies is that I enjoy when there is a ritual aspect to it, and this just adds another fun step, so I'll definitely keep playing around with this method. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.