PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I get that it's easy to simply just include every tobacco product but with pipe tobacco specifically this is absolute nonsense. Give it a decade and they'll stamp warnings right into the briar.

Leather pouch and a decorative jar is definitely on my buy list somewhere at the bottom.
The reused glass jars work plenty fine for now and replacements are basically wasted money that I could've used for new tobac or even food. I gotta set harsh priorities.

It has the Cavendish, Virginia and even honey. If I had to choose one out of those you linked, this would be it.
I even want to get a tin myself, the description sounds really good to me.

OT:
A humble offering to the King: Sweet Virginia in clay on a mellow yellow platter.

View attachment 170147
@Chaukisch I love the colour of that Virginia baccy; I think it looks great in the clay pipe!
This is the colour I imagine my "Clay King 👑" to be:)
Would this be a good starting point for "Clay King 👑"???
I smoked some Cornell & Diehl Yorktown (a golden coloured straight Virginia) in my clay pipes at the Redcoats & Revolutionaries event at Cromford Mill earlier this year; this is the baccy I was smoking in the clay
when the blacksmith lit it with an ember from his forge 🔥:)
It has the golden colour and references the Revolutionary Wars so I think it suits re-enactment smoking.
I think that SG Black Forest is the real "Clay King 👑"!!!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Finished work for the day, and am almost a third of the way through this bowl of year 2012 Carter Hall in a black rusticated medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 437/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Time to check on the ferals.
4AB_Sandblast_left.jpg

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
You could try some beeswax on the tenon, maybe a couple coats over time so the mortise soaks it up. That might give you a better seal.
Thanks for the tip, I'll mull about it.
I like your treasure chest:)
It seems that SG Black Forest is the real "Clay King"; I can't believe I found a real life baccy that meets the criteria of my fabled "Clay King"!
I wanted a chest like that ever since I was a wee lad. It even squeaks and creaks when you open it!
The SG Black Forest seems pretty well suited except for the name. Should be CK (Clay King's) Sheffield Forest. 😁
I love the colour of that Virginia baccy; I think it looks great in the clay pipe!
This is the colour I imagine my "Clay King 👑" to be:)
Would this be a good starting point for "Clay King 👑"???
It's one of the last good straight VA leaves I got left, really nice color and taste. The others weren't properly fermented and have green spots of leftover chlorophyll. I'll carefully sort them out but I think I might have to dump 50% of what I have left. The next order of VA will be grade A quality, Maybe this time I'll also order a flue cured VA. Can't have enough Virginia at home.

OT:
The cob is emptied and clean as a whistle, time for the donkey briar. The yucky coating in the chamber is pretty much gone and it's more fun. But boy, do I have to suck on it. Really hard on the draw but it smokes cool and dry.

20220920_100943 - Copy.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com

I wanted a chest like that ever since I was a wee lad. It even squeaks and creaks when you open it!
The SG Black Forest seems pretty well suited except for the name. Should be CK (Clay King's) Sheffield Forest. 😁

It's one of the last good straight VA leaves I got left, really nice color and taste. The others weren't properly fermented and have green spots of leftover chlorophyll. I'll carefully sort them out but I think I might have to dump 50% of what I have left. The next order of VA will be grade A quality, Maybe this time I'll also order a flue cured VA. Can't have enough Virginia at home.

OT:
The cob is emptied and clean as a whistle, time for the donkey briar. The yucky coating in the chamber is pretty much gone and it's more fun. But boy, do I have to suck on it. Really hard on the draw but it smokes cool and dry.

View attachment 170254
@Chaukisch Shame your tobacco wasn't properly prepared:-(
I think that golden Virginia would make an excellent starting point for my "Clay King 👑":)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Finished work for the day, and am almost a third of the way through this bowl of year 2012 Carter Hall in a black rusticated medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY 4AB No. 437/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Time to check on the ferals.
View attachment 170253
Wrong pipe. Sobriety isn't all it's cracked up to be. cray
4AB_Rust_left.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com

OT:

View attachment 170254
@Chaukisch I think the Virginia content of "Clay King" should be air or fire cured (as flue curing is a later development) and that lovely golden colour that you show in your photos; it really makes my mouth water just looking at it!
Some of the other contenders include Burley (introduced in the 19th century) while other 'golden' Virginia / Cavendish blends are too dark in colour and as you put it, didn't have golden shine the Clay King is looking for:)
But SG Black Forest is the closest match to my imagined "Clay King":)

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Shame your tobacco wasn't properly prepared:-(
I think that golden Virginia would make an excellent starting point for my "Clay King 👑":)
Agricultural products are always a gamble and especially when bought online.
But yeah, the good VA leaves are just great with their wholesome color and lovely sweet aroma.
I think the Virginia content of "Clay King" should be air or fire cured (as flue curing is a later development) and that lovely golden colour that you show in your photos; it really makes my mouth water just looking at it!
Some of the other contenders include Burley (introduced in the 19th century) while other 'golden' Virginia / Cavendish blends are too dark in colour and as you put it, didn't have golden shine the Clay King is looking for:)
But SG Black Forest is the closest match to my imagined "Clay King":)
They say the SG Black Forest has a citrus flavor to it, I've seen Virginia Gold Lemon leaves for sale and wonder if they really have a citrus flavor because that would be one interesting hell of a thing to mess with.

OT:
There goes my last Turkish. Mixed with bright Latakia Virginia (about 60/40 LatVA/Turkish) and lightly pressed into a little bar, then cut into slices and rubbed up.
There isn't much of it so I'll enjoy a little load in my MM cobster.

20220920_115800 - Copy.jpg
20220920_125227 - Copy.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Agricultural products are always a gamble and especially when bought online.
But yeah, the good VA leaves are just great with their wholesome color and lovely sweet aroma.

They say the SG Black Forest has a citrus flavor to it, I've seen Virginia Gold Lemon leaves for sale and wonder if they really have a citrus flavor because that would be one interesting hell of a thing to mess with.

OT:
There goes my last Turkish. Mixed with bright Latakia Virginia (about 60/40 LatVA/Turkish) and lightly pressed into a little bar, then cut into slices and rubbed up.
There isn't much of it so I'll enjoy a little load in my MM cobster.

View attachment 170261
View attachment 170262
@Chaukisch Please could you let me know what you would use for the Virginia in "Clay King"???
As I've mentioned before, "Clay King" does NOT contain Latakia...
I think SG Black Forest is the real "Clay King" as it smells and tastes delicious and has that magnificent kingly golden colour!
I like C&D Yorktown (a straight Virginia) as it has the golden colour (but a bit stronger in nicotine) and suits Redcoat era re-enactments as it references the Revolutionary Wars...

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Please could you let me know what you would use for the Virginia in "Clay King"???
I haven't tried nearly enough Virginias to give a proper opinion. This current bag is supposed to contain only one Virginia but I can make out two different phenotypes and of course different leaf sizes from different parts of the plant. That's all going to make a difference in taste. And my palate is far too shot up and/or uneducated to properly discern the differences.

Look for yourself, see how different the leaves are? Color, leaf and rib thickness, feel, smell and taste.
All different but out of the same bag. You'd think the left one is Latakia but no, my Latakia is completely differently. Both leaves are lying on the same side but you can barely see the ribs on the right one.
20220920_135605 - Copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.