PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Passing the quarter mark on this bowl of early 2000s Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching Mad Dog Russo.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
That’s odd, I’ve looked at all of his pipes on Instagram, never noticed this one, or any others with the dot on the bowl.

It’s just for decoration? Show a shot please looking at it... 🤔
Look at it!!

20231019_044421.jpg

I've only ever seen one other carver do this (Nikolay Kozyrev):

002-773-0033_3.5949.jpg

Maybe a birth mark? I suppose it could be decorative, but I'd wager it's decorative in a way to conceal a flaw within the briar, rather than outrightly so.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Look at it!!

View attachment 254531

I've only ever seen one other carver do this (Nikolay Kozyrev):

View attachment 254532

Maybe a birth mark? I suppose it could be decorative, but I'd wager it's decorative in a way to conceal a flaw within the briar, rather than outrightly so.
It’s a clever idea, it’d be a shame to waste such a lovely piece of wood like that because of an inclusion in the briar.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Enjoyed a tasty lunch, and am passing the quarter mark on this bowl of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Gold Star Maui Red Catuai, neat, is my drink. Watching a mediocre print of Santa Fe Trail starring Flynn, Reagan, and Alan Hale, Sr. on FMC. Getting ready to clean a few pipes.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Three Sails; finally got around to trying it in a pipe as opposed to rolling it. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever smoked a shag in a pipe. Nice light morning smoke.

View attachment 254463

No stories today; I'm running late and those dang chickens ain't gonna milk themselves.
Shag tobacco in a pipe is great when you are working because it stays lit. I smoke Three Sails when I walk for that reason. And for the citrus flavor, too.

Enjoying some Capstan Blue Flake (2021) in my "White Spot Pipe" (Luiz Lavos Lumberman with Ivorite).

View attachment 254439

Wow! I've always wondered who got this pipe. It was part of my first batch for Smoking Pipes so I never knew who bought it. I'm happy to see it's been serving you well so far. Thanks for sharing!

Regarding the Ivorite "beauty mark", yes I chose it over sandblasting all that beautiful grain due to a small superficial flaw. I took the inspiration from Jeff Gracik who does this frequently.

Just recently I did it again on this Ballerina, this time with Ebonite as the customer didn't want to blast the front panel and lose those birdseyes.

Attachments

• ballerina.jpg
    ballerina.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 12
  • ballerina_spot.jpg
    ballerina_spot.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.