PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Not far from finishing this bowl of Sutliff Cringle Flake (Holiday Edition 2022) in a 1980s White Pipe straight lattice apple meerschaum with an acrylic yellow cream colored saddle stem. Been writing review notes on this blend. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
WhitePipe_Apple80s.jpg

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Nah, not at all. I could've been much smarter and more precise with it.
To me it's already a pretty damn good smoke but all in all it's nothing. You can't taste the work behind it.
I'll take more flakes and add them to this current blend but the saucing is the matter.
Lacking flavor, not enough "finesse" behind it.

I’ve eaten both and like each one, probably the mayo the best, but I never turn any down. Sometimes he will get a chunk of pork and score it and stick chunks of potatoes and veggies in it and roast it in a Dutch oven. Always sausages and beer on the side.
One can perform culinary miracles with a Dutch oven. Even just meat, onions, broth, some veggies and spices that are cooked in it for a while can produce one hell of a dish.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Just got a nice package from P&C - Smoked a bowl of Peter Stokkebye PS 41 Cube Cut for the first time in my Brebbia gunmetal billiard. This burley blend was a bit hard to get going but when it did...Wow!...not bad at all! I haven't had Carter Hall for years...kinda reminded me of a more peppery version of it. More complex & nuanced than I thought it would be...Good stuff!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just passing the quarter mark on this bowl of Jim's Va/Bur in a black 1980 sandblasted Peterson Premiere 01 medium bend pot with a black vulcanite p-lip stem. This is the first Peterson that I bought. This may get me to dinner time.
Peterson_Premiere_blastedpot.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I have some dear friends from Germany who cook traditional German food very so often, I get invited over and enjoy it. Lots of sausages and German potato salad. I will bring my clay over next time and show them your post. Yum!
Is the German potato salad hot? With vinegar or a mustard (like whole grain)? Bacon chunks?

Sorry for the game of 20 questions, but I like most types.of nontraditional potato salad (grocery store blends are a nope for me).

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com
Brought an ounce of Pegasus with me. Got 3 hours to kill while the daughter is at dance. Sitting in the Menards parking lot with my meer. Listening to music and drinking coffee. Good times.
View attachment 178744
A huge benefit of pipe smoking for me was getting comfortable with being alone, in my early years. Started at around 15 ( yeah I was the odd '90s kid smoking a pipe), and really enjoyed the peaceful time it allowed me.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
My Rott Revolution Flake in the Wimbledon.

20221121-212550.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Going to have CAO Moontrance (thanks again to @Servant King !) in a Missouri Meerschaum/Cornell & Diehl Collaboration Charles Towne Cobbler Corn Cob.

View attachment 182586
What do you think of the Charles Towne Cobbler?

While I enjoy its smokeability and stem, I seem to enjoy my Washington 5th Avenue cob more (and I can't really articulate why aside from a more open draw).

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
What do you think of the Charles Towne Cobbler?

While I enjoy its smokeability and stem, I seem to enjoy my Washington 5th Avenue cob more (and I can't really articulate why aside from a more open draw).

I like it well enough. Most of the other cobs I have are less finished/raw—it’s nice to have something a little more finished. I tend to use cobs for aromatics to avoid ghosting briars that aren’t dedicated to a blend, or situations where a fancier pipe could get damaged (working outside or taking a walk). I don’t worry about the majority of the cobs I have—they’re easily replaced. Functionally, it’s no different than many of my briars and smokes cooler than some—my GBD Ebony Colossus is rather thin walled, and the chamber is huge, making the ember quite large—this pipe can get kind of hot; the other night, it provided a three hour smoke, so, I’m not freight training it, but, it gets hotter than I’d like. I’ll have to take a look at the 5th Avenue.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I like it well enough. Most of the other cobs I have are less finished/raw—it’s nice to have something a little more finished. I tend to use cobs for aromatics to avoid ghosting briars that aren’t dedicated to a blend, or situations where a fancier pipe could get damaged (working outside or taking a walk). I don’t worry about the majority of the cobs I have—they’re easily replaced. Functionally, it’s no different than many of my briars and smokes cooler than some—my GBD Ebony Colossus is rather thin walled, and the chamber is huge, making the ember quite large—this pipe can get kind of hot; the other night, it provided a three hour smoke, so, I’m not freight training it, but, it gets hotter than I’d like. I’ll have to take a look at the 5th Avenue.
I tend to use my cobs the same way, as knock around pipes that I don't mind getting damaged or lost (like when watching a toddler at a beach).

I bought the Charles Towne Cobbler to try an different stem and enjoyed the concept of a collaboration with C&D (despite not caring for a large portion of their blends). The "finished" aspect was intriguing too.

I read reports that the initial release of the pipes had several problems and was glad the issue seemed purged when purchasing mine.

Enjoy (and the 5th Avenue is at least worth a look).

Status
Not open for further replies.