PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
59° and sunny. Stanwell with new LNF. One of the best smokes I've had in a while. 8.5/10

and recently...

Italian poker in a British tradition with Newminster Superior Rounds No.403. I never tried much of Mac Baren tins, so I have no recollection of Dark Twist. I don't know how accurate the comparison might be. This was surprisingly robust in the middle third of the bowl. I know the smell of the rounds in the tub is rather hefty, so I went into this thinking it might be strongish. I tasted some nice sweetness here and there, but mostly, it was 7-8 of 10 pure tobacco flavor. I thought it would be more multidimensional. I had high hopes for the dark-fired Kentucky. Not writing it off and do look forward to getting better acquainted. It just didn't hit me in any of the ways I thought it would. 7/10 overall.

63° and clear. Large Italian billiard with Sutliff Tobacco Company - Virginia Slices #507-C. A very nice smoke. 7.5/10.
1) this tobacco is a little strange. I find the flavor very mild, yet the smell lingers in my beard for longer than many, and I notice a substantial nicotine hit. I don't get anxious or jittery. Nothing like that, but if I haven't eaten, it can make me feel a little out of sorts. Almost sick like. Not sick in a way I don't want to smoke it, but I definitely notice the effects more than my normal tobaccos. For having such little flavor, it acts in other ways like it is a heavy hitter. anyone feel similar?
2) I'm still wondering if Newmister 400 is sweeter and more flavorful than 507. any opinions?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Did a second set of walking reps, and have about a quarter of a bowl left of year 2016 Sutliff Revelation Match in a straight smooth brown post-WWII Kingsway (Comoy’s) London Made 61 Canadian with a tapered black vulcanite stem. First time smoking this pipe.
Comoy's_Kingsway_Canadian61.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Going to have what I’ve dubbed, Modern Major-General (a 1:1 mix of Esoterica Penzance and Lane 1Q, as per @Chasing Embers ’s fine recommendation) in a Kaywoodie All Briar Meerschaum 12B A (the smaller “A” is centered below the 12B on the shank, “B” in italic for whatever reason) Bulldog, circa 1953–1955. Big thanks to @Ahi Ka and @Humblepipe for the pipe! I love it and will cherish it.

IMG_20221101_174742.jpg

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Going to have what I’ve dubbed, Modern Major-General (a 1:1 mix of Esoterica Penzance and Lane 1Q, as per @Chasing Embers ’s fine recommendation) in a Kaywoodie All Briar Meerschaum 12B A (the smaller “A” is centered below the 12B on the shank, “B” in italic for whatever reason) Bulldog, circa 1953–1955. Big thanks to @Ahi Ka and @Humblepipe for the pipe! I love it and will cherish it.

View attachment 178752
I just call it All Hallows.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Closing in on the half way mark on this bowl of the last of this tin of year 2014 Wessex Campaign Dark Flake in a smooth dark brown medium bend year 1924 Dunhill 136A double patent apple with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Dunhill_1924-Bent_apple_136A.jpg

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Not sure if there's any Latakia in Clan:
Do you think Clan would suit the King's clay???
To me Clan is good enough for any day but it's altogether mediocre, it doesn't shine. I bet it's very easy to recreate or even reinforce. Clan is not much, but for this bum it'd be good enough if it would sell at half the price. I'd rather buy some sweet port and whiskey, drink most of it and spill the rest on my leaves.

OT:
I'm finishing my last pint of pilsener and I'm not going to tell you how many I had. Just know that it includes gallons and it's kind of a hard task to write this out. And I have to take a picture as well, that includes a whole nother mess of things to do and responsibilities to deal with. But anything for you guys so what, me worry?

Mainly Perique with some English style Black Cavendish, not carved into stone but burned into clay.

20221101_230750 - Copy.jpg

Now this is a satisfying smoke, something I want to sip and not suck in, full of flavor and satisfaction.
A little pinch of Latakia would lull this into a very rounded experience. Maybe a little later for a nightcap.
I remind and amuse myself of a little poem I came up with for my profile description some time ago,
maybe I can kinda recreate it:

What a breathtaking tradition!
From humble clay to golden plated hard wood,
and over to a thousand year old oak,
From old to young and young to old,
we all enjoy a good smoke!

Enjoy!

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I spent the brisk but sunny afternoon under the gazebo smoking a hand-rolled cigar made by a local woman, Carin Lopez, who crafts "The Marilyn Cigars" and who was a guest vendor at our church's Greektoberfest this past weekend. Her display booth was next to the bar I operated for the fest. The cigar I smoked was a corona gordo "barber pole" of maduro and Connecticut wrappers, all Dominican leaf, that she buys direct. (She recycles the cedar boxes in which the leaves come packed into fun gift boxes. Check her out on Facebook: Log into Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/themarilyncigars/)
The cigar was a very good smoke which I paired strangely, but quite satisfyingly, with a Mocha-Frappuccino.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
To me Clan is good enough for any day but it's altogether mediocre, it doesn't shine. I bet it's very easy to recreate or even reinforce. Clan is not much, but for this bum it'd be good enough if it would sell at half the price. I'd rather buy some sweet port and whiskey, drink most of it and spill the rest on my leaves.

OT:
I'm finishing my last pint of pilsener and I'm not going to tell you how many I had. Just know that it includes gallons and it's kind of a hard task to write this out. And I have to take a picture as well, that includes a whole nother mess of things to do and responsibilities to deal with. But anything for you guys so what, me worry?

Mainly Perique with some English style Black Cavendish, not carved into stone but burned into clay.

View attachment 178754

Now this is a satisfying smoke, something I want to sip and not suck in, full of flavor and satisfaction.
A little pinch of Latakia would lull this into a very rounded experience. Maybe a little later for a nightcap.
I remind and amuse myself of a little poem I came up with for my profile description some time ago,
maybe I can kinda recreate it:

What a breathtaking tradition!
From humble clay to golden plated hard wood,
and over to a thousand year old oak,
From old to young and young to old,
we all enjoy a good smoke!

Enjoy!
@Chaukisch Is that the Black Cavendish for the "Clay King"?
Looks like it would go well with the Gold Lemon Virginia and as you say it should look like the contents of a treasure chest!
No Latakia for me though; I think it sounds like a cheap car made in Syria before the civil war broke out:)

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I spent the brisk but sunny afternoon under the gazebo smoking a hand-rolled cigar made by a local woman, Carin Lopez, who crafts "The Marilyn Cigars" and who was a guest vendor at our church's Greektoberfest this past weekend. Her display booth was next to the bar I operated for the fest. The cigar I smoked was a corona gordo "barber pole" of maduro and Connecticut wrappers, all Dominican leaf, that she buys direct. (She recycles the cedar boxes in which the leaves come packed into fun gift boxes. Check her out on Facebook: Log into Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/themarilyncigars/)
The cigar was a very good smoke which I paired strangely, but quite satisfyingly, with a Mocha-Frappuccino.
@dino I like the upcycled gift boxes; I've been using the tartan Clan pouches to make Christmas card borders!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011

Mac Baren: HH Burley Flake in a Meer...​

JK0v3vb.jpg

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
A concoction of let's see...
Unspecified Oriental, Virginia Gold Lemon, Danish style (Canadian maple syrup & vanilla) Black Cavendish, fine Louisiana Perique and Cyprus Latakia.
Gonna smoke and get a true to the bones taste of it in my ol' reliable clay.

View attachment 178686
is that clay wrapped in twine? and if so, did you do that or come that way? I've never smoked a clay and no idea if sold this way or not!

Status
Not open for further replies.